PDA

View Full Version : Contractors In The News

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Ok, Ok, I know it is not much, just a mention is all... but hey it is still a frozen wasteland up here and as they like to say in the media: "Any impression is a good impression."

http://www.huntsvilleforester.com/article/130745

On the heels of this illuminating article, I felt so elated I decided to go out and treat myself. (Well actually, I am just trying to practice RBB - Recession Busting Behaviour) So yesterday I bought a new truck! My silver 2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab 5.7L IForce will arrive just before the Chev has to go back off lease.

Does anyone else out there drive a Tundra? This will be my first non GM vehicle ever. (1978 Firebird, 1977 Laurentian, 1979 Monte Carlo, 1986 C1500 Pickup, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 Silverados) I am looking forward to be able to pull the boat around legally for a change. (Tundra has the highest towing capacity of any 1/2ton on the road)

Have a great weekend.

MAGLIGHTING
03-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Ok, Ok, I know it is not much, just a mention is all... but hey it is still a frozen wasteland up here and as they like to say in the media: "Any impression is a good impression."

http://www.huntsvilleforester.com/article/130745

On the heels of this illuminating article, I felt so elated I decided to go out and treat myself. (Well actually, I am just trying to practice RBB - Recession Busting Behaviour) So yesterday I bought a new truck! My silver 2009 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 Double Cab 5.7L IForce will arrive just before the Chev has to go back off lease.

Does anyone else out there drive a Tundra? This will be my first non GM vehicle ever. (1978 Firebird, 1977 Laurentian, 1979 Monte Carlo, 1986 C1500 Pickup, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 Silverados) I am looking forward to be able to pull the boat around legally for a change. (Tundra has the highest towing capacity of any 1/2ton on the road)

Have a great weekend.

I told you he was the #1 lighting designer in Canada :canadaflag:
The truck is beautiful. Lots of luck with it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Hey thanks Mike... I am actually really looking forward to getting back into live stage lighting, if only in a small way. I started out, way back when, in that area and the stage is where I learned about light. It is where I first got "the bug".

I am coming up with some really interesting concepts for this Wizzard of Oz production, and am thinking that the tornado scene is going to be the pinnicle of lighting effects in this performance. Combining the use of multiple sourced, clashing stroboscopic effects (yes there will be a warning on the program) along with some multimedia projections onto the cyc. I hope to create quite the storm.

The sets are going to be simple and spartan, relying on the actors and, to a large degree, the lighting to transport the audience through all of the different scenes. I came up with an idea to project a full motion "Dora the Explorer" type map onto the cyc. during transitions and then light the various stage locations independantly, essentially creating multiple stages within a stage. Should be fun.

David Gretzmier
03-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Super nice truck James- I had a new Tundra back in '02 or so, Loved it. The new one is bigger and cooler now. I drove a rental '08 Tundra, extended cab like the picture, for a month and a half during Christmas Season when one of my crews used my '05 ford F-150. You'll love it. very tight doors like a bank vault, awesome stereo. It did surprisingly drink more gas than the V8, maybe 13 mpg instead of 15 or so, but then, this truck begs you to hotrod it. it has gobs of power and torque. Good luck with it, and the Wizzard of Oz production.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks David.... I was blown away by the power of the Tundra in my test drive. It was like a rocket compared to my Silverado (which has a 3.23:1 axle ratio in it... lame lame lame). I am definately going to have to take some of the lead out of my right foot with this truck!

I am seriously considering installing a Hypertech performance ECU chip in the new truck. It allows you to dial in the engine performance on the fly. You can dial up economy for highway trips, and then dial in HP for towing. www.hypertech.com

Have a great weekend.

TXNSLighting
03-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Youre only helpin Japan with that purchase...hope ya like it. Theyre still the ugliest truck IMO.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Sure Ryan, not to mention all of the Assembly workers in Texas who build the Tundra, all of the administrative staff at Toyota Canada, all of the transportation companies (rail and truck) who move the product to me, and all of the OEM suppliers located throughout N. America that make the parts for Toyota.

Heck, right here in Muskoka we have Algonquin Automotive which makes a myraid of accessories for the Tundra and other Toyota products. They operate two factories within 20 mins of my home and I know several families that work there as well as the owner of the company who is a really nice guy! I would hazzard to guess that the vast majority of the components in that Truck are made here in N. America. Then I bought it right here in my town at a local dealer, also employing my neigbours. Then there is the consideration that Toyota just invested billions into two new assembly plants right here in Ontario Canada. (As did Honda... GM, Chrysler and Ford have just finished closing many of their Ontario lines and plants... laying off thousands and breaking a number of govenment funding agreements and tax incentive agreements in the process!)

I would say the only N. Americans who are not benefitting from my Toyota purchase are the UAW and CAW members... but that is another topic for another day.

Oh, and it is a really pretty truck too with a fit and finish that I have NEVER seen before in a pickup.

irrig8r
03-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Youre only helpin Japan with that purchase...hope ya like it. Theyre still the ugliest truck IMO.

Uglier than a Dodge RAM? :confused:

TXNSLighting
03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Uglier than a Dodge RAM? :confused:

Good call i did forget about the new Ram...

Im happy for ya James! Enjoy it! I hope it works for ya.

David Gretzmier
03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
According to cars.com, the Toyota Sienna ( van) and Toyota Tundra have the highest domestic content of any "import" vehicles. 80 percent of the cost of a Tundra is made in either US or Canada. Sienna is 85%. This beats many vehicles from the big three traditional US companies. This is the same or more domestic content than the Chevy and Ford full size trucks. the Ram is only 68% domestic content.

TXNSLighting
03-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Sorry about my comments James. I have been having a rough couple days and somewhat lashed out. I do apologize.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Hey no problem Ryan... I didn't take any personal offense at all. In fact, your comments made me stop and think for a moment, which is a good thing.

Have a great weekend.

TXNSLighting
03-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Its good to think every once in a while! ha!

MAGLIGHTING
03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
The circus wagon rolls into town.

TXNSLighting
03-15-2009, 03:21 PM
Now i like that! I bet that V10 drinks the fuel!

David Gretzmier
03-15-2009, 06:40 PM
OH Don't get him started...but fuel aside, the nicest lighting rig I have seen.

Mr. Quik electric
03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Nice ride their Mike. I will post some pics of my new Sprinter tomorrow.

TXNSLighting
03-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Hey Tim! Hows the biz goin? We need some pics of your new stuff!

Mr. Quik electric
03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Tomorrow will be the 3rd day of an 8 day homeshow. So far I have about 14 solid leads for new jobs. Our service techs have also been setting leads for me over the past week when they are servicing clients and of those I have closed 2 so far. I will post a pic of my new ride. It has the current company logos on it but that is going to change soon with a new wrap just for the lighting division.

Mark B
03-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey Mike, just to make you feel good. I finally finished high school the year you started in the business. That is a great ride as well.

NightScenes
03-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately when a foreign vehicle is purchased the profits go to the foreign company strengthening their economy more than ours. If we all bought American vehicles we wouldn't be seeing all of these lay offs in Detroit right now. We would have American auto plants in the south and not Toyota, Nissan, etc. That money would be staying here and building our economy. Oh well, I'll keep doing my part by buying my Fords of which I own 6.

TXNSLighting
03-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately when a foreign vehicle is purchased the profits go to the foreign company strengthening their economy more than ours. If we all bought American vehicles we wouldn't be seeing all of these lay offs in Detroit right now. We would have American auto plants in the south and not Toyota, Nissan, etc. That money would be staying here and building our economy. Oh well, I'll keep doing my part by buying my Fords of which I own 6.

same here. Im always going to buy Ford, GM or Dodge vehicles.

Mr. Quik electric
03-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, here is my new ride. The existing decals will be stripped off and a new landscape lighting wrap will be added. Something more appropriate for what I do.

MAGLIGHTING
03-16-2009, 11:04 PM

Wow, this is really ironic. I find my self having James' back when the tables were turned just only 1 year ago. Who would have ever guessed this after James and I had some legendary battles. We have since buried the hatchet, :canadaflag: Let me explain.

This Nightscenes (previously known as Nightscapes before Loran Nightscaping took him to task over copyright infringement- Are you hoping they fail so you can reclaim the name?) s canned me from his AOLP forum claiming I threatened James in a message last year. Total BS. Meanwhile to this day I've never heard James say that I ever threatened him. You only shot yourself in the foot since I've left and Joey D left, your AOLP forum has been dead I've heard. Not much going on but crickets chirping because you imposed your morality like you are doing now and cast aspersions on people with your warped judgement.

Now it's you taking shots at James because of his choice of foreign vehicle ? Or is it because he doesn't like Kichlers LED's?

What happened to the holier than though individual you used to be?

Looks like you're just as vindictive and human as the rest of us aren't you now.

TXNSLighting
03-16-2009, 11:05 PM
Now that is to cool Tim!!

TXNSLighting
03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Wow, this is really ironic. I find my self having James' back when the tables were turned just only 1 year ago. Who would have ever guessed this after James and I had some legendary battles. We have since buried the hatchet, :canadaflag: Let me explain.

This Nightscenes (previously known as Nightscapes before Loran Nightscaping took him to task over copyright infringement- Are you hoping they fail so you can reclaim the name?) s canned me from his AOLP forum claiming I threatened James in a message last year. Total BS. Meanwhile to this day I've never heard James say that I ever threatened him. You only shot yourself in the foot since I've left and Joey D left, your AOLP forum has been dead I've heard. Not much going on but crickets chirping because you imposed your morality like you are doing now and cast aspersions on people with your warped judgement.

Now it's you taking shots at James because of his choice of foreign vehicle ? Or is it because he doesn't like Kichlers LED's?

What happened to the holier than though individual you used to be?

Looks like you're just as vindictive and human as the rest of us aren't you now.

hmmmmmmmm....

MAGLIGHTING
03-16-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, here is my new ride. The existing decals will be stripped off and a new landscape lighting wrap will be added. Something more appropriate for what I do.

That's a beautiful truck Tim. But where do you put the fixtures and transformers? The box is very narrow. How many people does it carry? I like the config other than lack of space for materials. Can the ladders be placed on the top to give you much more space? Who is the manu of the body? is it a stock config or custom done by an upfitter? very nice.

Mr. Quik electric
03-16-2009, 11:20 PM
With all my tools it is only half full inside. I am going to be removing some of the trays on the drivers side for product. Trust me I could put easily enough product in their for several jobs (except for your jobs Mike, I would need a 7 x 14 trailer pulled behind to fill with product for your sized projects) It is a Dodge spinter 2500. Not sure who upfitted the service body though. It is strictly made for an electrician. A few mods and it will be just right. It will carry 2 in the cab and I could probably get a good 5-7 across the border comfortably in the back. (if INS is monitoring, I'M JOKING!!!) It does have some large bins down low that would easily fit about 8-10 trannys.

MAGLIGHTING
03-16-2009, 11:26 PM
With all my tools it is only half full inside. I am going to be removing some of the trays on the drivers side for product. Trust me I could put easily enough product in their for several jobs (except for your jobs Mike, I would need a 7 x 14 trailer pulled behind to fill with product for your sized projects) It is a Dodge spinter 2500. Not sure who upfitted the service body though. It is strictly made for an electrician. A few mods and it will be just right. It will carry 2 in the cab and I could probably get a good 5-7 across the border comfortably in the back. (if INS is monitoring, I'M JOKING!!!) It does have some large bins down low that would easily fit about 8-10 trannys.

If it's the 2500 then it has the single tires in the back. With the weight of the body alone on this truck you have to be very careful with loading that box up. Tranny's, cable, copper and brass fixtures weigh a ton. You will soon find this out. Too bad the co didn't get the 3500 with the dual wheels in the back. Let us know how it goes.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-16-2009, 11:36 PM
Paul, do you understand exactly how a global company like Toyota works? You make it sound like Toyota manufactures all of its own components and assemles its vehicles in Japan and then sells them here through a network of foreign owned dealers.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The Tundra is over 80% domestically built. That includes all of the input components as well as assembly. It is in fact more North American than most of the vehicles made by the formerly "Big 3". Toyota USA and Toyota Canada are subsidiaries of Toyota in Japan. That means they are stand alone business entities that are established, registered and pay taxes in the jurisdictions in which they operate. The profits generated by the manufacture and sale of their vehicles is in large part returned to these operating divisions as their own. Toyota is also a publicly traded company. I would suspect that a very large number of American and Canadian citizens, financial institutions and pension funds hold these stocks and thus benefit from the dividends and profitability of their operations.

Then there are all the domestic component manufactures. Vehicles today are not built with parts that come from the parent company's factories. They are built with parts that are manufactured from a huge variety of domestic and some imported sources. Magna International, Algonquin Automotive, Michelin, Dayco, etc etc etc and on and on and on. All of these domestic companies benefit from my purchase... all employing Americans and Canadians.

The head offices are staffed and supplied by domestic labour,management and suppliers.
The vehicles are transported by domestic carriers.
The vehicles are sold through a network of privately and locally owned dealerships
The vehicles are serviced through the same channels.

All along the chain, each dollar spent on this vehicle is largely injected right back into the North American Economy.

Bottom line, the multiplier effect of the money that flows between all of these suppliers far outstrips the relatively small amount of money that ends up making its way back to Japan.

Now, had I purchased a Kia, built in Korea, with almost all foreign content, you would have a point. But not with Toyota and certainly not with the Tundra. Heck, you probably know some people who work for Toyota, they might even be your clients! Now who is benefitting from my purchase decision?

The only people who are out in the cold from me buying a Toyota are the UAW and CAW workers, and I will make no qualms about it... They are the main reason that the formerly "Big Three" are faltering. $75 per hour (cost of wages + benefits) for someone with a highschool education to install a seatbelt assembly?... That is $150,000 per year! How hard do you have to work to make that kind of money?

I rest my case.

Pro-Scapes
03-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Nice new ride tim. I am considering a ford 1 ton van right now that my local repair shop has from another fleet. Thing is spotless and already outfitted almost how I want it.

As long as you only load a day or 2 worth of wire and keep just enough stock to keep you rolling for a couple of days at a time you should be fine. This is where Mikes suggestion of standardizing your installs comes into play.

I cleaned out my shop today with the rain. Amazing how quickly misc stuff accumulates. I lost track at 65 odd fixtures that I have no plans for nor a use for as of right now. Anyone need a collage of pathlights ???

David Gretzmier
03-16-2009, 11:54 PM
The buy american thing is all fine and good, but remember that it really comes down on a per vehicle basis how much it benefits us domestically. The statement that all the profits go to Japan is pretty inaccurate, like saying all the profits if you buy GM or Ford stay in America. GM and Ford sell millions of vehicles overseas. People buy them overseas for the same reason that folks buy "Foreign" cars here- they like them and want them. If you want to preach only buy american, makes, fine, but I really hope you realize that the only reason Ford and GM are only losing 30-40 BILLION per year EACH is that they are very profitable overseas. were everyone in the world only wiling to buy what is made in thier country, Ford and GM would have been bankrupt years ago.

people buy from me because I do a great job at what I do and they feel it has value for what they pay. I expect the same from pretty much whatever I buy.

The Dodge Sprinter is perfect example of what is american or foreign. It's made by mercedes, and was sold as freightliner for several years, and then when mercedes bought Chrystler, they began selling it as a Dodge. Ford has a similar diesel van that is made overseas. GM's geo division a few years back were all foreign made cars rebadged. what about the "american"cars made and assembled in Mexico- they are "north american" but not considered domestic.

It all gets so confusing, isn't it best just to buy the best vehicle for the purpose that is a good value? let competition force companies to make the best vehicle.

Mr. Quik electric
03-17-2009, 12:00 AM
Mike I think it may be a 3500. It has the dual wheels on the rear axle for weight.

Billy, We have a big stocked warehouse at the office. One of our gals looks at the service orders for the techs and fills up bins with the standard replacement parts they used the day before to refit the trucks. All we have to do is grab the bin and load. With the warehouse, I only need to take what I am going to use that day, It will be restocked in the morning. Since being here we have come up with a standardized price book for the lighting. Very easy and very thorough. Nothing and I mean NOTHING, gets through the cracks as a freebie. There is a dollar value for material and labor to install on each item which makes everything straight forward to price. Just have to put the "part or unit" number in the spreadsheet and vwalla, done.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-17-2009, 12:01 AM
Thank you David...you make excellent points too!

:usflag::clapping::canadaflag:

MAGLIGHTING
03-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Mike I think it may be a 3500. It has the dual wheels on the rear axle for weight.

Billy, We have a big stocked warehouse at the office. One of our gals looks at the service orders for the techs and fills up bins with the standard replacement parts they used the day before to refit the trucks. All we have to do is grab the bin and load. With the warehouse, I only need to take what I am going to use that day, It will be restocked in the morning. Since being here we have come up with a standardized price book for the lighting. Very easy and very thorough. Nothing and I mean NOTHING, gets through the cracks as a freebie. There is a dollar value for material and labor to install on each item which makes everything straight forward to price. Just have to put the "part or unit" number in the spreadsheet and vwalla, done.

Good deal Tim, you'll need the weight capacity of the 3500. How long is the box? 12 or 14'?

Eden Lights
03-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice trucks Mike and Tim. Tim's body is a Hackney unit. We talked with them a couple of years ago about a unit, but never did anything. We were looking at a unit without the interior ladder rack on the right and moving the ladders to a power lift on the top.

http://www.hackneyplumbing.com/index.html

Mr. Quik electric
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Mike, it's a 14'.

Eddie, Thanks for the info. I really like the body that they fitted to it. Only need minor modifications to some of the bins. I like having the ladders inside. Just looks cleaner to me. If I need to transport product to a job site I have the side bays and also the whole front Isle of the truck. Plenty of room. I am anxoius to get it rewrapped though.

MAGLIGHTING
03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
That's a great looking body, very well laid out. Thanks for posting the link Eddie.