PDA

View Full Version : Gumball removal

derekarbeiter
03-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Hey,

Any of you guys have a solution for gumball removal from sweetgum trees? Spring clean up takes time, but I am tired of using a rake and shoval for every yard I come across that has these. Any suggestions?

robertsturf
03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
We get 2-3 guys with back packs and blow them into piles and then rake on to tarps. Works for us. Beats raking the whole yard. Then all you have to do is a little touch-up with the rakes.

topsites
03-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Gumballs ain't too bad, it's acorns I don't care too much for...

But what robertsturf said, backpack blower takes care of them, so long it is powerful enough...
So like the br-400 and even the 550 won't really do it right, but the 600 will.
I always say, with blowers there is no such thing as having too much power.

Pile it up, tarp and rake, easiest way.
I've used wheel barrow and a shovel before, too, mostly for acorns.

lawnpro724
03-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I use my lawn vac I just set it a little lower and suck them up. Works great and saves time.

modedicebox
03-14-2009, 05:28 PM
We do some pretty large properties with gumballs, 3 br600's blow them to the curb or in a pile and suck em up with the leaf loader. Works great for us.

david shumaker
03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I try to blow them, but sometimes they are stuck in the ground and it can be a pain. I did some today on a small yard and just raked them into small piles and put them in trash cans. I've got a lawn vacum, but it's too much trouble to load it for just 1 yard.

Think Green
03-14-2009, 08:15 PM
There is a product from Mauget that once injected at the proper time of the spring just as the buds swell, will eliminate the flower from forming on the Sweet Gum stems. This will prevent the ball from forming.
Look into Florel Fruit Eliminator.!!!!!!

Other than that, there is nothing like a few good rakes--50 gallons roller cans and some muscle. Lawn Rakes are good to use, but even they need emptying........pain in the @#@!

MikeKle
03-14-2009, 09:12 PM
I have actually heard of some people making a soup out of those gumballs!!!!They claim it is great, you couldnt pay me to eat those things!

derekarbeiter
03-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, looks like I use about the same method as anybody else. I wish someone would invent a machine to pick these things up. :)

IN2MOWN
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Mow up as many as you can then grab the rake.

jsw2008
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
I also blow them into a pile and tarp them first. If you go over the yard with the mower first it packs them into the ground. After I get as many on the tarp as I can, I go over the area with the mower and get any that are left over. I really hate those things. I've got 3 yards that are just loaded with them. I've heard that those lawn sweepers from Sears that you tow behind your mower will pick them up better than anything, but I don't want to spend $300 to see for myself.

ExtExc
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM
this must be more of a southern thing. i dont have to deal with these.