PDA

View Full Version : Station Master Pro help

Armadillolawncare
03-14-2009, 02:59 PM
I have a customer that wants me to add a zone to their backyard. This is one of my first jobs as a licensed irrigator. I can not locate the valve boxes in the backyard where the new zone is to be installed. I purchased a Station Master Pro 24 this week and hoped I could use the chatter mode to locate the valves. Since I have never used the SM before I may be doing something wrong or maybe I misunderstood what the chatter mode is. I attached the clips to the common and the red wire for the valve I wanted to locate. After putting the SM in solenoid Activate mode I moved the switch to chatter. I expected to be able to walk to the area I suspect the valve should be and listen for the valve to chatter. I did not hear anything. I then did the same procedure with a valve that I knew the location of and again heard nothing, even with the valve cover off and standing right over it. Am I doing something wrong? Did I misunderstand what the chatter mode is? Thanks for the help. The valves are Hunter and the controller is Toro.

Wet_Boots
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Are you removing the zone wire from the controller, connecting the Station Master in its place, and feeding the zone through the Station Master?

Armadillolawncare
03-14-2009, 03:12 PM
No I was following the instructions that came with the unit which say to connect the clips directly to the wires. Is that incorrect?

Wet_Boots
03-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Maybe link the instructions - I only use a 521-type of locater.

Mike Leary
03-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Pull the wires from the clock; you'll be lucky to find the valves unless you know the approximate location as the buzzer is pretty quiet. A 521 is excellent unless the solenoid is fried.

Wet_Boots
03-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Pull the wires from the clock; you'll be lucky to find the valves unless you know the approximate location as the buzzer is pretty quiet. A 521 is excellent unless the solenoid is fried.Too bad you gave up on that W*M locating before we could have you burn up the coil :)

Mike Leary
03-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Too bad you gave up on that W*M locating before we could have you burn up the coil :)

:dispatches company helicopter to bail Boots out of the big house::

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I have a customer that wants me to add a zone to their backyard. This is one of my first jobs as a licensed irrigator. I can not locate the valve boxes in the backyard where the new zone is to be installed. I purchased a Station Master Pro 24 this week and hoped I could use the chatter mode to locate the valves. Since I have never used the SM before I may be doing something wrong or maybe I misunderstood what the chatter mode is. I attached the clips to the common and the red wire for the valve I wanted to locate. After putting the SM in solenoid Activate mode I moved the switch to chatter. I expected to be able to walk to the area I suspect the valve should be and listen for the valve to chatter. I did not hear anything. I then did the same procedure with a valve that I knew the location of and again heard nothing, even with the valve cover off and standing right over it. Am I doing something wrong? Did I misunderstand what the chatter mode is? Thanks for the help. The valves are Hunter and the controller is Toro.

You have the water shut off? The chatter does not work if the system is under pressure.

Sprinkus
03-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Use your eyes, feet, and a shovel. Look for low spots that could indicate where an excavation was done for a valve box, also look for an area where the grass looks different since grass won't root into plastic.
Feel for the ditch line with your feet and follow that along whilst kicking and poking the ground in suspect areas. You may be able to hear the hollow sound of the valve box as you're kicking and poking the ground.

Edit: If that doesn't work you should be able to rent a valve locator from a local irrigation supply house.
Longhorn here in S.A. rents one for 50 a day.

Armadillolawncare
03-14-2009, 04:46 PM
No the water was not shut off. Maybe that is my answer. I may have to rent the 521 if I can't find it any other way. I don't think their are any irrigation shops here in New Braunfels.

Mike Leary
03-14-2009, 04:48 PM
No the water was not shut off. Maybe that is my answer. I may have to rent the 521 if I can't find it any other way. I don't think their are any irrigation shops here in New Braunfels.

Go to the Fimco site, we all pay him $ 500.00 a month to be listed as a "approved contractor". Hint, hint, Peter.

irritation
03-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Go to the Fimco site, we all pay him $ 500.00 a month to be listed as a "approved contractor". Hint, hint, Peter.

Oh boy!!
Do we get rewards like a Rain Bird Select Contractor. :hammerhead:

Mike Leary
03-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh boy!!
Do we get rewards like a Rain Bird Select Contractor. :hammerhead:

Anybody wearing one of these shirts?

irritation
03-14-2009, 06:57 PM
If I do will Toro give me free Flo-Pro's?

Mike Leary
03-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Peter is going to have to figure the rewards program out. I know it's not easy
to even get one of these. Now,the hat? Only Matt has the hat!