PDA

View Full Version : infield machine ...........

tweezerbeak
03-14-2009, 04:53 PM
what are you guys using to groom the infields and what type of teeth or grading bar blade???nail drag??straight tines or spoon type????

foreplease
03-14-2009, 09:58 PM
This one from Kromer is the best one I have used. It is mounted on the back of a Toro Workman and uses the Workman's hydraulics - so there is down pressure. It leaves a great finish and can work the infield material in a variety of ways. Each of the three tools (spring steel tines, leveling bar, and broom) can be adjusted separately for different affects, making it easy to adjust for different levels of moisture, firmness, etc. Some days you want to gouge to speed up drying or to incorporate new material, other days you just need to groom between games.

It goes through a couple sets of brooms a year and a set of the tines at a park that has six heavily used ballfields.

LwnmwrMan22
03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I was going to post the Kromer as well.

We're located not too far from the company here in MN, decent people to work with as well.

jmoore16135
03-16-2009, 10:13 PM
We use the Toro Infield Pro and John Deere Bunker rakes. The are dedicated machines for grooming infields, so that might not fit your needs. I have seen great results with the Kromer type groomers. When the conditions are right the look of a broomed infield can't be beat.

foreplease
03-16-2009, 10:45 PM
I was lucky to have the use of a borrowed Infield Pro (+ plow on front) last fall on a baseball field I rebuilt. Man, I would love to own one of those. I am working on a softball field right now where I could use it, come to think of it.

For the day to day I think the Kromer does a great job with less potential to tear things up. It's a lot quicker getting from one field to another too. But the Infield Pro does a great job moving dirt around and is probably a better choice for smaller fields (youth) because it turns so well.

RD 12
03-22-2009, 12:05 PM
What kind of budget are you on?

foreplease
03-23-2009, 06:45 PM
What kind of budget are you on?

Pretty conservative right now. Are you selling one?

RD 12
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM
No, but I have seen a few home made one that work just as well.

Rtom45
03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
We use a piece called Sand Pro. basically a 3 wheeled ATV type thing with the same grooming tools shown above.

packey
05-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I understand you are on a budget. So my suggestion is geered toward a limited budget. this is what I used to use while working with a school district. We built to separate drags one was simply a 6 x 4 carpets used for finishing and the other was a pipe triangle we built and welded teeth on made from rebar. Our infields looked and played no different than anyone elses.

jlouki01
06-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I use a carry all peice that I bought at tractor supply for 180.00 that mounts on a 3 pt. I mounted a nail drag and a can attach a mat drag for doing both that same time. Works pretty well for well under 1000.00.
I can post some pics if you want?

foreplease
06-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I use a carry all peice that I bought at tractor supply for 180.00 that mounts on a 3 pt. I mounted a nail drag and a can attach a mat drag for doing both that same time. Works pretty well for well under 1000.00.
I can post some pics if you want?
I would like to see that. Anything that can be picked up entirely to move from field to field - or off field - is a step above something that can only be dragged. Fitting things to tractors that many facilities already have is a good use of funds and existing equipment.

Mike78
06-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Guys, can any of you give me some sort of idea what price these Kromer AFG's are please? I'm based in the uk and i'm looking for something to help me with post match repairs on our schools Rugby pitches. We have something similar over here called a Sisis Quadraplay, but i'm looking at alternatives as the ever diminishing build quality and service back up with Sisis is becoming very tiresome.

Cheers.

Softballjunkie
06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
While we are involved in providing pictures and prices of equipment (Kromer) we use to groom our fields, can someone speak to the direction of an infield drag?

My organization just got a donated lawn tractor minus the cutting bed and have a mat we use to drag the field with pulled behind. This shows a fine job of making the field look pretty, but unsure of the direction of travel, that provides the best leveling affect and best drainage direction.

Softballjunkie in NC

foreplease
07-05-2010, 11:46 PM
...can someone speak to the direction of an infield drag?

...unsure of the direction of travel, that provides the best leveling affect and best drainage direction.

Softballjunkie in NC
Try not to begin and end in the same place every time. Often, if the mat is stored outside the fence at 3rd base the mat get dropped there and ends there - leaving a soft pile that needs to be knocked down with a rake.

Try running large circles or ovals to help distribute the material. Run clockwise one time, counterclockwise the next. Don't worry about getting right up to the edge of the grass. Better to miss a bunch of small spots than spill infield dirt over the edge. Mix these 2 patterns in with your lengthwise passes. In addition to dragging in different directions, which helps fill low spots, it gets your wheel marks in different places. Depending on the tractor and drag mat, you can get ruts where the tires run if you do it the same way every time.

I like to finish around the bases first by hand with a large rake followed by a push broom (clean the base off too), then try to work everything into those levels. If you can water the batters boxes and pitching area and/or tarp them - even with inexpensive tarps - they will finish out better and play firmer. Good luck.