TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Hi

Just looking for some ideas for my website

www.thelawnranger.net

thanks

mr mow
03-14-2009, 06:56 PM
I think your aerating and gutter prices are super low. Mowing is pretty low also. I do like the background music.

mr mow
03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Even if it is in canada. I'm not willing to break my neck for $20.

Carolina Cuts
03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
LMAO @ the music..... good.

but damn bro.... do you do ANYTHING that's more then $50-?????

driveway cleaning - $15+ ????

THC
03-14-2009, 07:37 PM
You should be charging by the month for residential snow clearing, that's what I do.

and why do you call it gutter cleaning? That's an american term.. we call it Eavestrough cleaning. Way too low in price.. makes me wonder if you really are just trying to get people to pay in advance.

This is the tactic Tony's Snow Blowing used and I think they were in Ottawa too.

mr mow
03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Gutter/eavestrough are both used in the U.S. and does it really matter, they are both understood and get the point across. One does sound more professional IMO though.

jsf343
03-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Overall it looks pretty good, I agree with the comments about your prices though, they seem way too low. Like the music though. :laugh:

THC
03-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Gutter/eavestrough are both used in the U.S. and does it really matter, they are both understood and get the point across. One does sound more professional IMO though.

Nobody calls them gutters here:canadaflag:

When I hear the word gutter I think of the side of a road way. (I'm in the business btw)

mr mow
03-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Didnt realize you were from canada, it doesnt say, figured it out by the flag : ) obviously I cant speak to the lingo there.

THC
03-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah, the TS is from Canada also but what I think he's doing is copying things from American Websites.

I don't want to come off as too opinionated because I really wish the best to anyone starting a new business but I think for a new co. he is offering way too many services at way too low a price. The only prices I think are doable are the weekly lawncare but that better be a dead easy yard 3k of grass or something.

I remember one year I bite of more then I could chew and offered Aeration even though I didn't have an aerator and I just caused myself a lot of grief and disappointed a few people.

This is a perfect time of year 4-5 weeks from now spring clean up / power raking starts, that's a nice money maker... well not for $50 like on his website, lol. But 10k flyers should get you 100 clean ups even with moderate pricing. I have to hire day labour to help. I do that every year but you have to have a power raker and I got this feeling he doesn't have much if any equipment.

mr mow
03-14-2009, 08:46 PM
I totally agree about the prices! I personally think flyers are a waste of time...atleast around here. You definately need something to seperate yourself from the rest, maybe that would be his pricing. Im not here to critize either, but he asked for opinions, so thats my 2cents.

mowerbrad
03-14-2009, 08:48 PM
That 10% off for the whole summer is alot of money. I wouldn't offer the new customer anything, but I would offer something to my current customer who referred me, either 50% off one mowing or one free mowing. And I have to agree your prices do seem a little low, and I understand that they only start at that price, but even for starting prices those seem low.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
thanks guys..i think my prices are low too. I bought out these contracts last year and thatis what they were priced at. I was thinking of raising them thsi year but not sure how that would go.

I hate only charging 25 to aerate but when i tried to charge more last year i kept getting under cut by places like spring masters.

I was thinking of going to at least 30/cut.

any ideas?

I do own an aerator and detatcher

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-14-2009, 10:05 PM
one other note there is a guy in my neighborhood charging 125 for a spring clean which includes aerating, detatching and 1 cut as well as a complete clen up.. how can i compare to that service?

mr mow
03-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I personally wouldnt charge less than $65 on the smallest of lawns to aerate. 20-25 isnt even worth getting out of bed, much less the gas, travel time, load/unload, and paperwork. $125 for a spring cleanup minus aeration, if it was cleaned in the fall is doable.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-14-2009, 10:23 PM
I really aprreciate all of your help I have removed some services and added some to the prices.

I know that my prices are very very low. I really want to get more this year. Last year I barely made anything after paying my expenses.

Ive actually been considering going back to be a foreman because of the rates I am forced to charge.

thanks so much guys/girls. It is great to have a community like this to bounce ideas off .

THC
03-15-2009, 07:22 PM
one other note there is a guy in my neighborhood charging 125 for a spring clean which includes aerating, detatching and 1 cut as well as a complete clen up.. how can i compare to that service?

We got a guy like that around here too, I've kept his flyers for the last couple years.

Power rake/ clean up starts at $70 for a 5k lot, Aeration starts at $50 get both for $110 that's for a 5,000 sq ft lot he also throws on FREE fertilizer.

I usually just advertise power raking, when I did mention aeration I didn't get much work for it so I didn't buy one.. fricken $3000:confused:

Last year my prices were $70 for 5k lot and $10 per 1000 sq ft all the way up though I try to avoid huge yards. Better money in the small/medium yards. I look up each address on our cities property assessment web site to find out exactly how large they are. I also mention corner lots are $20 extra and I advertised power brooming. My plan was to add this as an extra charge but I seemed to do it for free a lot of the time. sand and gravel from snow banks etc. but I'm going to try and get some extra money for it this year.

I also do most of my advertising in new neighbourhoods so there aren't any big trees. But I do sometimes have to tell people that I'm not here to do Last falls clean up and this springs clean up (if they didn't have a fall clean up). I used to feel sheepish about walking away from a customer if they have a jungle to clean up. Now I just bump the price, if they don't like it, I'm gone.

You can only do so many jobs, spring clean up is about 3 weeks then it's done. I hate that feeling in the last week, as you drive through the streets you see almost every yard cleaned up already. I wish I could make money like that all year.

I hire people from day labour to push the power raker, I never do that. Have to answer the phone after all.

I'll use a vacuum or blow it in a pile with a sthil 600 blower (thinking of also using a hand held at the same time this year). Super large heavy duty bags from a janitorial supply store, I have the guy hold the bag and I use a snow shovel to fill it up with thatch and leaves. That's the best way I've found, then I vacuum the little bit that's left. Sometimes hand rakes are the best thing to use.

I wish I could do spring clean up year round.payup

THC
03-15-2009, 07:37 PM
EDIT: BTW, you said he also cut the lawn for free but a lot of people do this anyway because they just use hand rakes (nice and quiet), but there is still loose grass lying around. To get the rest of the thatch they cut and bag it. Not a bad system. I don't usually cut it.. maybe for a customer that is already my lawn care customer.. But I add that to his monthly bill.

and other people don't power rake at all. They just blow out the bushes and window well then cut the grass super low with a bagger. I like to advertise power raking though, people like that.

THC
03-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Ive actually been considering going back to be a foreman because of the rates I am forced to charge.

I would never work for someone again. This month, March, I only went out once and it took me 4 hours to do my snow route. I'll bill $1800 for my 20 residential customers.. assuming it doesn't snow again. good money. Same thing happened in November. I think I went out twice.. Winterpeg here. I was cleaning eaves and fall clean ups and putting on Christmas lights AND still got paid for snow removal. I charge monthly $80-$120 per drive way. I go out for anything over 2 cm. If anyone complains I tell them nobody paid me extra when I went out 10 times in a month. No one complains, I've kept half my customers for about 10 years. I used to have 40-50 but it was a real pain to get help in the winter. Shoveling is hard on people that are not used to it and they have no idea how to run a snow blower. Too much stress so I cut back to 20 customers and they are all good customers. If someone was more ambitious, they could make a lot more money then I do.::)

Same thing in the summer. I can work 30 hours and make twice as much as a day job. It's relaxing to, I put on sound isolating headphones and listen to audio books all day.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks so much THC. you have been a huge help. I did land 250 side walks and steps fo rnext winter..they are offer $75/ house good or bad?

THC
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
OH I just looked at your website again. "$30 minimum" I think that's a bad Idea.. for me at least.

You will be out of the price range of a LOT of yards that can be very well for $22-$28 a pop or $99 per month (I'm switching to monthly charges this year for new customers)

$22 is just for the Very smallest yards. I have yards that are $80/ month and I have yards that are $250 a month (18k). Average yard after a couple years will be much more then $22 and then you can get rid of bad customers or crappy no-profit yards.

When I first came to this site people were saying "I don't drop my gate for less then $35" But they don't mention they will do a Half acre for that $35. Of course someone will pipe in "I have a $35 yard that only takes me 5 minutes" But when I took this attitude, all leads dried up.

I'll charge $22 but It's a SMALL yard.. when I get to about 6000 sq ft I'm at about $28, 10,000 I'm around $35

THC
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I did land 250 side walks and steps fo rnext winter..they are offer $75/ house good or bad?
I don't actually know what you mean by that. I do know that if this is a condo type place you BETTER have good insurance. Sidewalks and steps can be very slippery are you going to salt or put down traction sand etc..

I only do Homeowners, no commercial work at all. I also only do snow, no ice and I'm only in new neighbourhoods where the drive way is in front. I do the driveway and the sidewalk going to the front door. On a few, for little old ladies, I'll occasionally snow blow around the house so that the metre reader guy can get to it.:rolleyes:

mr mow
03-15-2009, 08:12 PM
ok....so I went back to your site and see you made some changes. I want to know how a monthy cutting is going to work? Your just going to let it grow for a month and then cut it? I think your asking for trouble and a mess. I think your aeration and troughs is still pretty low. I would also have a two different prices for 2 stories (higher fall, larger heavier latter). You might wanna think about leaving the bi-weekly cuts out all together. Cause EVERYONE is going to want bi-w then. Keep the focus on weeklies. When you advertise driveway cleaning, what do you mean...pressure wash?

mr mow
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Snowblow around the side of the house (i.e. the grass?), never heard of that.

THC
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Snowblow around the side of the house (i.e. the grass?), never heard of that.

I have one old lady that told me to keep that clear because her gas meter is there, city worker comes around to check it's settings. Mine gas meter is inside the house, in the basement.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes the snow is all residental. i will remove your tips and change prices..thanks again. and I dont have to take care of ice that is in there contract. I think i will remove the eavestrough. I think a little to dangerous

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-16-2009, 10:48 AM
by dirveways..we blow and power broom them and remove all debris left over from the winter. takes about 30 mins tops

THC
03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
I never knew there was business cleaning off drive ways though I do blow off all the crap when I do yard clean ups. Learn something everyday.

That 250 houses you're talking about for snow removal.. WOW. THat's a lot of work, if they are like my houses, not sure if you need to do drive ways as well like I do. But I would need 6 trucks with crews for that. if it is just sidewalks and front step and they are all next to each other, that sounds sweet.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Ya it is just sidewalks..me and my 1 buddy do 125 in 5 hrs now..so I will have to add 1 more crew for the winter.

and I also clean off the drive way when i do a cleaning and after each week. I have had alot of people in me neighborhood approach me just to clean there drive ways so i figured why not start charging fo rit

sathyan
03-23-2009, 12:01 AM
your site is nice and i would like you to suggest that just promote your site by using SEO .
------
sathyan

Business Forums (http://www.bizoppjunction.com/business-forums)

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-23-2009, 08:47 AM
what is seo?

dishboy
04-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Canada and your towns listed in service areas should be capitalized.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
04-05-2009, 04:53 PM
ok..thanks

Team-Green L&L
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
what is seo?

Okay, from the question asked, you have a lot of reading to do so here are some links:

http://www.google.com/librariancenter/articles/0512_01.html
http://www.searchenginehistory.com/
http://www.seomoz.org/article/beginners-guide-to-search-engine-optimization
http://www.seobook.com/join/tour-how-to.php

and just keep reading in my blog and you'll figure it all out in no time.
www.topranktactics.com

TheCanadianLawnRanger
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Thank you so much will look at that stuff..I am very new to web page making

Inspira
04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't go too crazy with the SEO stuff. Clean up your site, and get listed in all the local business directories.

SEO is great, and no doubt important for many, but it's also been WAY blown up by people writing books/blogs/etc. Make sure your pages are error free and your URLs make basic sense, and the search engine crawlers will index just fine. Another good step would be to create an XML sitemap and submit it to the major search engines. This isn't that hard to do and there are some free sites to do this.

The thing that cracks me up is that everyone pushes SEO, yet no one really even knows how Google indexes their data - it's a trade secret. Used to be keywords, then page ranking or "relevance," who knows what it will be next year.

I'm not trying to discourage it - but if you're going to spend a few hours at something, at this point your time would be worth more if you spent those hours cleaning up your site. No use getting those few extra clicks to your URL if they're not going to stick around on your site anyway.

mdvaden
04-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Sometimes music is irritating, but it seems to fit your theme.

Just one question ..

Do you have a license for that version of the music since it's on a commercial site?

Second to the previous comment not to get too carried away with SEO other than some basic cleanup and general stuff.

Kiril
04-13-2009, 12:35 AM
I wouldn't go too crazy with the SEO stuff. Clean up your site, and get listed in all the local business directories.

SEO is great, and no doubt important for many, but it's also been WAY blown up by people writing books/blogs/etc. Make sure your pages are error free and your URLs make basic sense, and the search engine crawlers will index just fine. Another good step would be to create an XML sitemap and submit it to the major search engines. This isn't that hard to do and there are some free sites to do this.

The thing that cracks me up is that everyone pushes SEO, yet no one really even knows how Google indexes their data - it's a trade secret. Used to be keywords, then page ranking or "relevance," who knows what it will be next year.

I'm not trying to discourage it - but if you're going to spend a few hours at something, at this point your time would be worth more if you spent those hours cleaning up your site. No use getting those few extra clicks to your URL if they're not going to stick around on your site anyway.

I agree. SEO is blown way out of proportion, especially for the types of sites we are talking about here. Take care of the little things that makeup a good site, try to keep some fresh content coming in at all times, and the rest will follow.