PDA

View Full Version : Do You Use Tennis Shoes or Work Shoes?

hummingbird3d
03-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Being that I am flat footed I have a hard enough time finding tennis shoes that are comfortable, however, I feel that wearing outdoor type of work shoes would be safer for me.

What's the consensus on foot wear among those who have done this for awhile?

THC
03-14-2009, 07:44 PM
Runners only (unless spraying). I don't find boots comfortable or light and I still walk behind my mowers :(

lawnprosteveo
03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
I wear workboots. There are a few threads talking about this. Do a search on "workboots" and you'll get some good opinions. For me, Danner work boots have been my favorite. Timberlands are good too. I prefer waterproof, good ankle support, lug sole...

ambersLawnmowing
03-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I start in boots in the morning but by lunch i have my running shoes on. If i am trimming trees then BOOTS for sure.

Stihl_Pro
03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
I just bought my second pair of Red Wing Hikers today....great for doing anything...normally if i'm doing an install job or cutting brush or trees i wear my timberland pros...but these boots are great. http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1476

JB1
03-14-2009, 09:44 PM
been wearing tennis shoes forever except for spraying.

garmel
03-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Tennis shoes for me unless doing trees.

jsw2008
03-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Wellington-type slip on uninsulated work boots. I used to wear tennis shoes, but my feet got wet from the dew on the grass in the morning.

lawnpro724
03-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Waterproof work boots, there is nothing worse than mowing early in the morning and having your tennis shoes and socks soaked by the morning dew.

LawnTamer
03-15-2009, 12:12 AM
Running shoes, even when I am spraying, (I have rubber overshoes). Your feet are important in this business.
If you have a lot of dew in the mornings, bring a second pair. Comfort is king!

grass_cuttin_fool
03-15-2009, 12:22 AM
New Balance tennis shoes here also.....used to wear Rocky Boots....had problems with swelling in my feet and that is when I switched for comfort....still use the boots on ocassion

Whitey4
03-15-2009, 01:24 AM
I did a lot of shopping around. I eventually got some Timberlands. Waterproof, lightweight and comfortable. I also have a history of sprained ankles, and the boots have saved me several times with the additional ankle support. They aren't steel toed, but offer much more protection than tennis shoes ever could, while still being lightweight and breathable. My feet don't get hot in them. Thick cotton socks, I mean really thick are a must for me. They are pricey, but keep my feet dry and add cushioning for additional comfort. The socks I buy cost near 10 bucks a pair.

foreplease
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Boots 80% of the time, shoes occasionally. Boots with rubber overshoes lately, which is getting to be a drag. I prefer no socks at all but can't do that if pesticides are being used or handled. Never tennis shoes.

I wear size 14 and have a hard time finding much in stores. Buying shoes or boots without being able to try them on is a real crapshoot. I found this site and it's great. Then I discovered their home base is only about an hour away - nice!

All kinds of shoes, boots, and clothing available at good prices.
WorkingPerson.com (http://workingperson.com/)

mowerbrad
03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Boots in the morning when its wet out and running shoes by lunch. Boots are usually too uncomfortable to be wearing all day for me, I have only found a few boots that are actually comfortable over the whole day.

hummingbird3d
03-15-2009, 12:34 PM
It sounds as though I could go either way. I wasn't sure if potential hazards to the feet are common or not which would require anything tougher than tennis shoes like on a construction site.

I've tried boots before and although they offer protection to the soul and toes of the feet, these just wear me out after a few hours. As someone pointed out though, they do protect the ankle from that occasional ankle twist we never see comming.

openbook
03-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Boots are required at my job so I have no choice. I just got a really good pair of waterproof timberland size 14 for 40% off at dsw shoestore.

Valk
03-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Just another opinion from the school of hard knocks:

I get new work footwear when certain pains kick in...usually in my ankles or knees.

Running shoes are designed for flat/flatter surfaces - whereas trail-running shoes will have more lateral support and may or may not be water-proof/resistant. Comfortable and light - yes. Good for months of abuse - prolly not. Your feet/ankles/knees/hips/low-back will let you know.

I prefer a midtop hiking boot that is waterproof and breathes. 'Goretex XCR' is an improved type of Goretex with their Xtreme Comfort Range for those HOT Summer days.

Having realized over the years that I only get 3 months out of a pair of boots (before the joint pains set in letting me know it's time for a new pair)...I realized the hard way that it is money well spent to take good care of my dogs! Find what works well for you...and don't skimp - cuz it ain't worth it having sore feet or bum ankles.

http://www.vasque.com/products/m-breeze.cfm Yeah, $150 hurts - but my feet are worth it.

philslc
03-15-2009, 06:01 PM
I love my Wolverine boots with Gore tex. They are waterproof, very light weight, and the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. My ankles and feet are never sore.

BCarlson
03-15-2009, 06:25 PM
You can get running style shoes with steal toes. For me personally I prefer running shoes as compared to boots with the exception if I am working in a muddy situation. I have contemplated making the steel toe running shoes mandatory for employees and myself.

Big C
03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
It sounds as though I could go either way. I wasn't sure if potential hazards to the feet are common or not which would require anything tougher than tennis shoes like on a construction site.

I've tried boots before and although they offer protection to the soul and toes of the feet, these just wear me out after a few hours. As someone pointed out though, they do protect the ankle from that occasional ankle twist we never see comming.

I use to mow in tennis shoes but, did not like it because of the lack of ankle support and dirt, rocks & sticks getting into them because they were low cut. Since then I have switched to a pair of Wolverine waterproof hikers that are just as comfortable as regular tennis shoes. I got the non steel toes so I would not have to lug the extra weight.

STIHL GUY
03-15-2009, 07:36 PM
after i buy my workboots i spray them down with water proofer to keep the dew and rain out and keep my feet dry

The Ranger
03-15-2009, 10:09 PM
bare feet is the best. A little rough at first, but once you get some callouses built up it's great. Think of the money you save by not buying shoes. When you spray just wrap your feet in plastic Walmart bags. You'll never go back to shoes again.

Lawnut101
03-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Steel toe workboots. I will make my workers wear them as well.

Lawnut101
03-15-2009, 11:46 PM
after i buy my workboots i spray them down with water proofer to keep the dew and rain out and keep my feet dry

Does that work really good? I don't like getting wet feet while I'm working. I'll have to try that.

robct
03-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Being that I am flat footed I have a hard enough time finding tennis shoes that are comfortable, however, I feel that wearing outdoor type of work shoes would be safer for me.

What's the consensus on foot wear among those who have done this for awhile?

Try getting some nice quality hiking boots i use asolo's theyre great

CajunMeauxJeaux
03-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Timberland PRO for me with a few coats of neats foot oil.

lawnsmart
03-16-2009, 12:38 AM
In the past I have always wore Redwing boots and they have been great. Last year I tried a pair of Vasque hiking boots (about $150.00) and I will never go back

Whitey4
03-16-2009, 01:53 AM
bare feet is the best. A little rough at first, but once you get some callouses built up it's great. Think of the money you save by not buying shoes. When you spray just wrap your feet in plastic Walmart bags. You'll never go back to shoes again.

You should remember to turn the mower off before changing the blades.

grincon
03-16-2009, 02:03 AM

HAHA serious? I wear romeo slippers on dry days, even a little dew is ok with sno-seal. On rainy days I wear danners, they are nice cause of the low sole so Youre not hurting by mid day.

THC
03-16-2009, 04:08 AM
You know if you don't like boots and can't afford a sulky you can wear roller blades.

02DURAMAX
03-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Boots all the time.

you'll be happy you did when your foot go's under the deck!

MumCity Landscaping LLC
03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
I saw a pair of hightop boot and lowcuts today made by stihl. they were really nice

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 04:42 PM
I use my Timberland Pro boots in muddy/wet conditions and during the winter. I switch over to a pair of Timberland Pro low top steel toe hiker style shoe any other time. I find both to be very comfortable and having flat feet the orthotics fit very nicely in them. I will never mow without steel toes on or trim after a kid I went to school with chopped his toes off mowing.

billslawn89
03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
waterproof boots here

got-h2o
03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Work boots always, sometimes my Harley ridin' boots, which are essencially work boots less the steel toes. I haven't put on a pair of tennis shoes in prolly 15+ years.

As far as brands, I've been through a lot. I'm in some Wolverines now.........good ones, not the chain store bought specials. I usually spend $150-200 on a pair, these were $180 IIRC.

bjlc
03-16-2009, 11:37 PM
boots here as well...like my toes!:canadaflag:

green acres2009
03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
I used to wear chippawas but got a pair of lawn grips for christmas two years ago.Bought them ever since.They may not last a whole year but nothing does here on steep hills but your feet will stay dry

tyler_mott85
03-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I use tennis shoes every so often but I find myself gravitating towards more of a boot every time I go out.

Yes, the tennis shoes are lighter and cooler in the heat but they do not offer protection from anything!

they get wet, they dont protect your ankles, their soles fall apart (although any k-swisses I've ever mowed in did EXCELLENT) and they just don't look professional.

I bought a pair of Hikers by columbia from Famous Footwear last spring and they did good. No steal toe for me, but they were water proof and had great traction.

They just didn't stand up and have found leaks in some of the seams. Plus the soles are shot after one year.

I am planning on purchasing a pair of Red Wings soon. 8" high i believe they're the 4485's I'm interested in. Looks like a good sole with lots of traction and they can still be resoled.

I have weak ankles. I twist/ sprain them constantly when I'm working. The 6" hikers helped hold them up a little over the tennies so I'm hoping some good leather 8" boots will add that much more support.

I just walk more... assertive...when I wear boots. I take stronger steps, i'm not so cautious about where I step and even tho they're hotter and heaver my feet seem to actually be happier at the end of the day. Just change your socks at lunch!

greenbaylawns
03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
Running shoes, even when I am spraying, (I have rubber overshoes). Your feet are important in this business.
If you have a lot of dew in the mornings, bring a second pair. Comfort is king!

Same here, I like the Nike Shox

PestPro
03-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Same here, I like the Nike Shox
I don't know about Lawn care, but if you are doing any kinds of Pest Control work, or working with any liquid chemcial, by the label you are requried to wear leather shoes or boots. Most of the time it will tell you what you need to wear on the label. If any of you take the time to read the lablel...THE LABEL IS THE LAW

Valk
03-18-2009, 01:33 AM
I am planning on purchasing a pair of Red Wings soon. 8" high i believe they're the 4485's I'm interested in. Looks like a good sole with lots of traction and they can still be resoled.

In case you want an opinion:
I bought a pair of RedWing's with the same sole as the 4485's...I was unimpressed with traction on slopes.
$.02

DaughtryLC
03-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Running shoes 4 me 2!