PDA

View Full Version : So, are they licensed or not?

hummingbird3d
03-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Now that I have started in this home lawn care business I have asked a few on the street about their business (they don't know I'm into it also.) I'd have to say by the lack of a business card or some lame way of giving me info on them to called them back, that I'd have to say that there are quite a few gents out there who appear to be doing business without a business license.

I am happy and proud to at least have taken that step, you know, going down to the county to get your fictitious business name and then getting your business license which I found is called a Business Tax Certificate. And then also getting a domain name etc.

I'm not here to now prejudge, but it does make me now wonder how many guys do this.

david shumaker
03-14-2009, 07:41 PM
There are those that are unlicensed. They are also working under the table and don't pay taxes or have insurance. I personally think it suppresses the amount I can bill. The next time you hear a potential customer say "the last guy only charged $10.00 an hour" and passes you up, it's probably because they can find an unlicensed person cheaper.

Think Green
03-14-2009, 08:06 PM
If you really want to know who is licensed in your area, roll up to the court house and go to the county clerk and ask for a list of all licensed lawn services. You will have to provide I.D. It is public information you know!!!!! Then you don't have to second guess!

I talk to newcomers every day since--the layoff's have started in Arkansas and to be truthfull, I can smell crap a mile away with people. Experienced LCO's aren't stupid and they probably could tell you were interested in their information... I don't just give out our expensive business cards to just anyone............. Talk is cheap and people are always willing to swap spit about the business, but the real stuff doesn't come free and you have to pay your dues and play a little ball before getting jolly with veterans. I don't tell a competitor or anyone asking for information anything unless they are the state plant board.

Think Green
03-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Hummingbird3d,
Not raining on your parade or anything, but this business is competitive and full of cut throat thieves. Small talk is good but most veterans will not tolerate weasels smelling around.
It is admirable that you have taken the steps necessary to provide your customers with a legitimate business person. Good Going, and I hope you will be prosperous.....

weasel
03-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Hummingbird3d,
Not raining on your parade or anything, but this business is competitive and full of cut throat thieves. Small talk is good but most veterans will not tolerate weasels smelling around.
It is admirable that you have taken the steps necessary to provide your customers with a legitimate business person. Good Going, and I hope you will be prosperous.....

Hey my name is WEASEL
There are always going to be unlicensed people in this part of the industry all you have to do is be better than them. Don't waste your time trying to see who has a license focus now on your new business. Congrats

Think Green
03-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Weasel,
Where in my dialogue does it state that I am a Newbie??????????
Go back and re-read this overall response blog..
I told the original poster that I hope he will be prosperous...

I can only surmise without reading your public profile that you are 100% legal and carry adequate spray licenses.....
I am new to this site but definately not new to these forums.....

Thanks!!!

Think Green
03-15-2009, 02:20 AM
Weasel,
I did not read your response slow enough to cut through the B.S.
I read that you are in Law--Horticulture--etc.
That is wonderful and should definately help you in this business, however you should do better in law...
As for telling hummingbird to seek out his own legal partner's in licenses, he can still do this if he feels the need. I have a list of all the licensed applicator's in my city. It is so because, I am a member of the Chamber of Commerce and the BBB. We have to protect our citizens from the poop that floats to the top of a sewer.

Good day my friend
Thanks for your responses.

HOOLIE
03-15-2009, 02:28 AM
A business license doesn't grant you membership to some exclusive club...I mean damn they're like $50 and any Tom, Dick or Harry can waltz in and buy one. It's NOT quite the same thing as, say, practicing medicine without a license.

I'm more interested in other guys doing good work, charging fair rates, things like that which affect me in the long run.

topsites
03-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Dang and I was out giving an estimate in the rain, so I didn't have time to mess with other companies...
That really sucks because now I got work ALL of next week, and I am going to miss out on all the fun.

Just poking fun at ya, but also...
Don't worry about the rest as much, otherwise the message I'm sending is the competition could be working
while you're still checking, and no offense but I wouldn't think of that as a desirable option.
That you're proud of having undertaken the required steps, that's all right.

Now it might be my recommendation, move along with your business plan.

Peace out

IN2MOWN
03-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Who cares about everyone else?

Richard Martin
03-15-2009, 07:57 AM
A license is not required in a lot of states, counties or towns. I've never had one and never lived anywhere or operated anywhere that required one.

WeCare-LawnCare
03-15-2009, 09:38 AM
A license is not required in a lot of states, counties or towns. I've never had one and never lived anywhere or operated anywhere that required one.

Same here, not even an option around here.

hummingbird3d
03-15-2009, 12:25 PM
The premise behind my inquiry of a few LCO in my area was that of finding out what kind of work they do - hey, I'm new to this so I'm simply doing some footwork homework, and secondly to see who is legit as far as the city and county would be concerned.

I've had a couple of neighbors ripped off from contractors who left them with 1/2 finished projects WITH their construction materials taken by the contractors! Before I got my FBN and business license I was told that I better get these since the consequences would be financially bad if I was sited working without one. BTW, for me, it puts a stamp out there that says I'm in this for the long run, especially as I give my business cards out.

I understand how when we get into certain activities in life that we question newbies on their sincerity and common sense. I've seen it in management at work many times and even in a rc helicopter club I belong to. That is why that when I ask any LCO about rates and what this or that is, it is because right now I don't know better on the day to day stuff that a passer by would say - geez, that looks easy or hard to do or whatever. These are, infact the one who would know better about how this works, good, bad and the ugly. And these same guys are doing it at the (expense?) of not taking on the traditional jobs out there.

At the flying club I'm, my fellow fliers and I saw that whenever a newbie tried to do some 3D flying trick without 1st learning the basics. Yeh, we were tuff on newbies, however, we also could see who was sincere in wanted to do things the right way. It's my hope that you guys see that this is my approach to this.

BTW, thanks to those with constructive advice!

ALC-GregH
03-15-2009, 01:36 PM
The premise behind my inquiry of a few LCO in my area was that of finding out what kind of work they do - hey, I'm new to this so I'm simply doing some footwork homework, and secondly to see who is legit as far as the city and county would be concerned.

I've had a couple of neighbors ripped off from contractors who left them with 1/2 finished projects WITH their construction materials taken by the contractors! Before I got my FBN and business license I was told that I better get these since the consequences would be financially bad if I was sited working without one. BTW, for me, it puts a stamp out there that says I'm in this for the long run, especially as I give my business cards out.

I understand how when we get into certain activities in life that we question newbies on their sincerity and common sense. I've seen it in management at work many times and even in a rc helicopter club I belong to. That is why that when I ask any LCO about rates and what this or that is, it is because right now I don't know better on the day to day stuff that a passer by would say - geez, that looks easy or hard to do or whatever. These are, infact the one who would know better about how this works, good, bad and the ugly. And these same guys are doing it at the (expense?) of not taking on the traditional jobs out there.

At the flying club I'm, my fellow fliers and I saw that whenever a newbie tried to do some 3D flying trick without 1st learning the basics. Yeh, we were tuff on newbies, however, we also could see who was sincere in wanted to do things the right way. It's my hope that you guys see that this is my approach to this.

BTW, thanks to those with constructive advice!

It sounds like your focusing on the wrong stuff. Why are you even wondering what type of work the other companies are doing? You need to form your business in the direction YOU want YOUR business to grow in. Not what others are doing. I mean sure, they cut grass, you cut grass but you shouldn't spend so much time worrying about other companies. Focus your efforts on learning what type of work YOU want to do. Asking other LCO's what kind of work they do, are they licensed, do they make money. I'd laugh at you after I gave you a strange look if you walked up to me and asked me those questions.

You need to mind YOUR business and not others. I don't have a license because I'm not required to have one for lawn maintenance type work. I want to get a contractor's license. I have folks ask me quite often if I can do specific work and I have to decline not having a license. I do things I'm allowed to do.

lifetree
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
... I'm not here to now prejudge, but it does make me now wonder how many guys do this.

Alot ... an awful lot !!