PDA

View Full Version : Rain Sensor

Lawn Hack
03-14-2009, 07:21 PM
I went to Lowes and Home depot to buy a rain sensor. (Hard wired) They both carried a $17 orbit and my controller is an Rainbird esp.

Should I hol out for a sensor my by RB since my controller is RB.

I have had no problem mixing and matching other components.

Any advice

The Elements Group
03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
dont use orbit support your local irrigation supplier

ElliottsLawn&LandscapeInc
03-14-2009, 10:58 PM
just in case your not aware, hunter and rainbird also make wireless rain sensors... :waving:

Lawn Hack
03-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Needed one in a pinch. I will pick up rb from supplier.

ed2hess
03-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Don't make a difference they work the same, or lets same they sometime work. We do a lot of irrigation work and those sensors are almost a joke ....sorta like a cork inthe river principal. Any debris and they don't work. Don't get wireless they are a pain to debug and half the time they break over the years.

Lawn Hack
03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Anything better? Hate to run a 220v pump over 21 zones in the rain, but on the other hand, my pump will lose it's prime if the sensor malfunctions and disables the pump for a few days. That could be much worse for the pump. It's a weekend home sometimes we miss a weekend. Maybe I should forget a rain sensor?

ed2hess
03-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Well if the sensor works properly it could be off for a couple days depending on wind and sunshine. When the cork gets wet it pushes down on a micro swithch and holds it down until the cork dryes and lets it up.l