PDA

View Full Version : New memeber and lawn care service

Field King
03-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I am a steel worker with 25 years on the job, I am starting a part time lawn care service, I will try to grow it and retire from the steel industry in 5 -7 years, I just bought a used 48" Ferris with sulky. it needs carb work, I will be loking on here for a lot of tips!

Big Red Ferris
03-22-2009, 11:56 AM
just bite the bullet and put the carb kit in it there not hard at all too do good luck ive been mowing sense i was ten i do all my maint on my ferris's my self warrenty work gets done by the ferris dealer in town
good luck !

DLAWNS
03-23-2009, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the site and good luck this year.

John from Mass
03-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Sounds familiar; except I'm early retired from financial world(Ha--No big bonuses, just a layoff~~) and I'm not going back~~~So full time it is~~I've been part-time ..
Advice? ~~ First, good choice--this site is great~~I just joined~~~good tips on lots of subjects~~use the "search" tab to get specifics you're looking for.
Others;
1. get discounts at stores(I now have accounts at John Deere/Lesco, Agway (10%) and a local hardware store(10%)
2. Marketing~~I use www.vistaprint.com for goodies~~Flyers, cards, lawn signs, magnetic~~Wait for free offers, get on their email list,,,even with their shipping(I always use the slowest) its a bargain--I just printed up 25 full color flyers with my services on heavy glossy paper for $5.75 shipping~~
3. Use craigslist for used equipment and other stuff; I spent the winter looking to buy a small Lscape company and just bought one.
Again, good luck~~~~
John from JayBee Green in Mass(not church):laugh:

bengalman
03-28-2009, 12:13 AM
25 fliers thats like 1 street

John from Mass
03-28-2009, 08:51 AM
Good point~~
What I didn't mention is I am cheap, and it's cheaper to buy 25 at a time for "free" costs 5.75 for shipping, rather than larger quantities...but this is my way, not the best or right way~~plus I use these selectively, especially for my new clients..

lifetree
03-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I am a steel worker with 25 years on the job, I am starting a part time lawn care service, I will try to grow it and retire from the steel industry in 5 -7 years, I just bought a used 48" Ferris with sulky. ...

... I'm early retired from financial world(Ha--No big bonuses, just a layoff~~) and I'm not going back~~~So full time it is~~I've been part-time ...

This isn't really the best time to go into this line of work right now ... with all the LCO's losing customers because they can no longer afford the service ... you might want to re-consider your plans !!

bengalman
03-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I just paid 279.00 for 6000 fliers. Thats like .05 a piece.I have passed over 1000 in a week.

Field King
03-29-2009, 04:51 PM
This isn't really the best time to go into this line of work right now ... with all the LCO's losing customers because they can no longer afford the service ... you might want to re-consider your plans !!

I will be keeping my full time job for now also, many of the Lco in the area seem to be part timers anyway, I also understand it will be tough starting in a recession but this could also make used equipment purchases very reasonable if the market is flooded with used equipment by lco quitting the business, I can invest on good stuff pretty cheap and build for the future, I do not think I am going to balloon overnite but I will be trying to meet goals, my first is to acquire good commercial equipment with no financing or debt, I currently have bought a 48" Ferris belt drive, after buying used, having it serviced and getting in top running condition I have $572 in it. I have also bought a 6x12 flat trailer with load ramp off the local classifieds for $700, I am now looking for a good used 36" walk behind for getting thru gates, baby steps!:walking: