PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Version of the Toro Grandstand?

joed
03-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Will The Toro Grandstand ever be available in a smaller version: 32" or 36" deck?

The Toro Company
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Will The Toro Grandstand ever be available in a smaller version: 32" or 36" deck?

From the time that the Toro GrandStand was first introduced to the market, we have always believed there is an opportunity to expand beyond our initial product offering. While we are not yet prepared to discuss specifics regarding future models, we have been exploring product solutions for contractors who have expressed interest in a smaller cutting deck. Stay tuned for future announcements regarding additions to the model line-up.

Thanks - The Toro Company

brucec32
03-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Enjoy your secrecy. Meanwhile many who would have waited to buy a 36" or 40" grandstand might be picking up a competitor's 36" unit.

DLAWNS
03-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Enjoy your secrecy. Meanwhile many who would have waited to buy a 36" or 40" grandstand might be picking up a competitor's 36" unit.

I want a small unit too, but they're obviously not quite ready to give out info because it's not concrete yet. I've heard some rumors from a couple reps at trade shows about deck size and dates of release but I don't know how reliable the info was.

MONTE
03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I would just like to see a new Toro!

cmlandscapeconstruction
03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Toro is currently testing smaller grandstand's in Europe. the delay in bringing to market one of these, is the result of caution on the part of Toro. they are listening to what is being said by the professionals,dealers and sales reps and are trying to decide between a 32" or 36" for the smallest model, and 40" or 42" for the next size up. So start e-mailing your dealer,sales rep and toro and tell them what model you think they should produce and why. Needless to say this will come to fruition by this fall.

brucec32
05-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd mention my preference for a 40-42" 3 blade machine with little or no deck trim edge so we can mow Bermuda with it down here in the south. There are about 100 mowers that I could name that will mow cool season turf just fine. I say make the grandstand stand out by being able to handle undulating turf. That requires that the deck match the width of the wheels closely. Trim edge be damned, we need to be able to get a nice looking cut on Bermuda.

The Toro Company
05-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I'd mention my preference for a 40-42" 3 blade machine with little or no deck trim edge so we can mow Bermuda with it down here in the south. There are about 100 mowers that I could name that will mow cool season turf just fine. I say make the grandstand stand out by being able to handle undulating turf. That requires that the deck match the width of the wheels closely. Trim edge be damned, we need to be able to get a nice looking cut on Bermuda.

Bruce32-

Thank you for sending us your preferred deck size and support for developing a product that excels at mowing Bermuda grass. We will definitely take your request into consideration.

The Toro Company

lawnprosteveo
05-22-2009, 01:04 AM
I agree with bruce32... I would be very interested in a 42-44" deck. Im afraid a 36" deck would have a poor cut quality like the smaller wrights. Alot of guys might dispute that, but Ive seen it myself and have several friends who own that size and complain about the cut.

My Toro Z100 with a 44" deck cuts beautifully and gets in most of my customer's back yards.

05-22-2009, 01:09 AM
My next mower will be a 32. I'm hoping the grandstand will have one by next summer.

The Toro Company
05-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks to everyone for providing their input on future GrandStand deck sizes. We appreciate your comments and look forward to sharing more information late summer or early fall.

- The Toro Company

2Ts UT
06-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm looking to get a 32 or maybe a 34 for ducking in and out of gated backyards. If that could happen with a grandstand next season I'd buy two.

TXNSLighting
07-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Id like to see this: A 32", 40", 48", 52" And a 60"! That would be perfect i think. My Toro Walk behind 36" has the best cut around, so the grandstand surely would be no different.

mysteryman
07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
GrandStand Deck Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GrandStand Deck Sizes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to everyone for providing their input on future GrandStand deck sizes. We appreciate your comments and look forward to sharing more information late summer or early fall.

- The Toro Company

Q: I am hoping for a 32" or 36" Grandstand. With either width, would the 20-degree slope specification change at all?

mysteryman
07-30-2009, 02:10 PM
Q: I am hoping for a 32" or 36" Grandstand. With either width, would the 20-degree slope specification change at all?

Toro-

Is this question being researched? I thought maybe the site wasn't being monitored, but saw replies from earlier today. Any acknowledgement in lieu of an answer would be appreciated. Thank you.

The Toro Company
07-30-2009, 03:56 PM

Toro-

Is this question being researched? I thought maybe the site wasn't being monitored, but saw replies from earlier today. Any acknowledgement in lieu of an answer would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mysteryman -

As we have communicated in response to other threads in the Toro forum, we have been evaluating opportunities to expand the GrandStand product line, including investigation of smaller deck sizes. We plan to announce additional models prior to the GIE+EXPO show in October. We have not yet completely finalized all of the detailed specifications, but when it comes to hillside performance, we are generally designing any new products to the same basic criteria. We should be in a position to answer your question more directly by the time we announce the 2010 model line-up.

The Toro Company

mysteryman
07-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you for your reply, you have answered my question, narrower should perform same as wide units..

Bob_n_weave
08-02-2009, 02:07 AM
I bought a 48" Grand Stand in April 2009. If anybody is looking for a Stripping Kit go to www.bigleaguelawns.com That's where I bought mine. Toro has no Idea when there Stripping Kit will be ready, and the Grand Stand does not Strip well without a Kit.

The Grand Stand is a nice Mower but it is not worth the Money ( $7500. plus Tax )
Toro you need to lower your price or at least put a Floating Deck on them.

mysteryman
09-23-2009, 12:39 PM
I know the information would be posted if it were available, but I will ask anyway: When will we learn of the new Grandstand deck sizes? According to previous Toro replies it should be within the next 3-4 weeks of this writing. Is this still on track? Thank you.

The Toro Company
09-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I know the information would be posted if it were available, but I will ask anyway: When will we learn of the new Grandstand deck sizes? According to previous Toro replies it should be within the next 3-4 weeks of this writing. Is this still on track? Thank you.

mysteryman -

Thanks for your interest. For the 2010 spring season we will be adding 36", 40" and 60" TURBO FORCE deck models. These units will be on display at the GIE+Expo tradeshow in Louisville at the end of October. Literature will be available in December.

-The Toro Company

mysteryman
09-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Thank you for the information update. It sounds like a great range of size choices. I will not be attending the show, and can surely wait until December for the literature, but will the specifications (engine size, tire size...) be posted on the TORO site or will they be available on this site at the time of the show? Thanks again.

MCLC
10-04-2009, 01:18 AM
mysteryman -

Thanks for your interest. For the 2010 spring season we will be adding 36", 40" and 60" TURBO FORCE deck models. These units will be on display at the GIE+Expo tradeshow in Louisville at the end of October. Literature will be available in December.

-The Toro Company

What Hp will be available for the new Grandstand lineup? I am thinking on the 60" for 2010.

lawnprosteveo
10-04-2009, 08:01 AM
mysteryman -

-The Toro CompanyThat news just might be what gets me to finally buy. That 40" should be great.

demhustler
10-05-2009, 12:16 AM
33'' - goes in smallest wouldn't call it "gates" we have (36-doesn't : (
i think everybody would love to have replacemrnt 4 pushmower ( then most hated part of work migh become most fun... hm...may be you shouldn't think of make 32/33'' : (((

The Toro Company
10-05-2009, 03:43 PM
mysteryman -

Initially the 60" will feature Kawasaki 25hp or 26hp.

- The Toro Company

cgaengineer
10-13-2009, 10:10 PM
That news just might be what gets me to finally buy. That 40" should be great.

40" is a great size for a large range of lawns, not to big, not too small...just right! I have the 40" T2 WB with TruTrak and I love it! I did get a chance to demo a GrandStand and I like how smooth it was to ride on.

TXNSLighting
10-16-2009, 10:58 PM
Sweet! I believe there will be a 40" in my future!

SMALLTIME22
11-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

SMALLTIME22
11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Will the 60 have a floating deck or just more space between rear tires?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
11-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Will the 60 have a floating deck or just more space between rear tires?
Posted via Mobile Device

All Grandstands are considered floating decks, but to me the design is not really a true floating deck like a walk behind with four pins or even a ZTR.
Posted via Mobile Device

SMALLTIME22
11-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

SMALLTIME22
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Which is why I asked the question. Ok let me rephrase: will the deck mounting/suspension design on the 60 be the same as the others?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
11-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Which is why I asked the question. Ok let me rephrase: will the deck mounting/suspension design on the 60 be the same as the others?
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't see why they would change, the one I demoed was a 52" I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Toro Company
11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Smalltime22 -

The GrandStand 60” will have the same floating deck / carrier frame design as our 48” and 52” models. Deck height of cut can be adjusted from the operator zone with a lever and pin design.

-The Toro Company

jbell36
11-16-2009, 09:15 PM
the grandstands are not floating decks! why they did this i have no idea but i agree with whoever said for the price that toro is selling these at they need to have floating decks, or at least offer it as an option...

Bob_n_weave
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Smalltime22 -

The GrandStand 60” will have the same floating deck / carrier frame design as our 48” and 52” models. Deck height of cut can be adjusted from the operator zone with a lever and pin design.

-The Toro Company

Toro Company,

So my 48" Grandstand has a floating deck ? Can you please explain this design to us. Ask any dealer they will tell you it's a fixed deck. Thanks for clearing this up.

The Toro Company
11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Bob_n_Weave -
As you have seen in this and other threads, people have different interpretations when describing the differences between fixed decks and floating decks. While there doesn't appear to be a universally accepted definition, we typically think of floating decks as cutting decks that are capable of moving relative to the machine's chassis or carrier frame during operation. In contrast, the cutting deck on a fixed deck machine is rigidly mounted to the frame and cannot move relative to that frame during operation.

It appears that some people rely upon the presence or absence of anti-scalp rollers as an indicator of whether or not a machine has a floating deck. It is true that in most cases, floating decks include anti-scalp rollers (or some other anti-scalp device) that aid the cutting deck in "floating" over uneven terrain (most would agree this is the primary benefit of having a floating deck). However, not all floating deck machines have or require anti-scalp rollers, and not all cutting decks containing anti-scalp rollers are actually floating decks. Similarly, while it is common to find single-point, quick-adjust height-of-cut systems (like the GrandStand) on floating deck models and not on fixed deck models, exceptions can and do exist.

Toro GrandStand models are labeled as floating deck machines, because the deck hanging system allows the deck to "float" relative to the frame as described above. This was done to allow operators to raise and lower the deck height-of-cut directly from the operator zone. While we recognize this design may not exactly match everyone's perception of a floating deck, the current GrandStand models are clearly not fixed deck machines. As we described elsewhere in this forum, the original design of the GrandStand included anti-scalp rollers, but the rollers were removed from the design in response to feedback from the landscape contractors that tested the original prototypes. Due to the close position of the drive tires and caster wheels to the edges of the deck, the anti-scalp rollers were of minimal benefit (the threat of scalping -- particularly in an area where anti-scalp rollers could be added -- was small), and eliminating the anti-scalp rollers allowed for a more compact machine as the deck could be moved closer to the drive tires and castor wheels.

As stated previously in this thread, the design of the deck hanging system for the new 60" model will be the same as the deck hanging system on the model year 2010 48" and 52" models (new extension spring design for deck lift assist replaces gas springs). However, the 60" deck will contain anti-scalp rollers, because the wider deck provides both the need for, and space for anti-scalp rollers. The new 36" and 40" Grandstand deck hanging system is executed somewhat differently due to the very compact nature of the machines, however, fundamentally it operates the same as the larger deck machines.

-The Toro Company

cgaengineer
11-18-2009, 05:07 PM
A floating deck in my opinion will move freely indipendant of each side, this is not the case with the Grandstand.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbell36
12-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Toro Company, thank you for your responses I do appreciate what you have to say and the fact that you take time to speak with us...I can see what you are saying about the decks but from personal experience the deck doesn't float...my main example would be going around a tree that the ground is somewhat elevated around the base for, the edge of the deck digs right into/through it whereas if you had wheels if would roll right over it...the only reason the "prototype testers" said get rid of the wheels is because wrights until now have controlled the industry and do not have them so it is what they are used to...nothing against wright, they are a great company, but in my opinion toro is a step higher and they need to prove it

also, i have a 2009 36" toro walk-behind with a turboforce floating deck and compared to the 52" turboforce deck it is designed much better...the grandstands deck comes to a point on the trim side where the walk-behind doesn't...the problem is when you are going around that same tree i mentioned earlier the grandstand will tear the elevated turf up where the walk-behind won't...

if the 60" comes with anti-scalp wheels and isn't a truly floating deck then you might be looking at some problems

mysteryman
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
mysteryman -

-The Toro Company

Toro Company-

Have the specifications of the 36" and 40" Grandstands been released yet? Is the new literature available? If I request a brochure on the Toro site will I get complete (36" through 60" as opposed to only 48" and 52") information? I would appreciate any information/specifications you have to share, thank you.
[also, will the 2010 48" Grandstand offer the same engine or the 'upgraded' ExMark engines] Thank you.

The Toro Company
12-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Mysteryman - The new specs, new literature and website will all be released/available in early January. When requesting literature on-line, be sure to indicate that you're interested in the new 2010 models to ensure that you receive the correct literature. This will include all deck sizes, 36/40/48/52/60. In the short term, here are a few specs that I can share with you now.

Model # Model Year 2010 Description
74534 18hp Kawasaki w/36" TURBO FORCE deck
74536 18hp Kawasaki w/40" TURBO FORCE deck
74538 20hp Kawasaki w/48" TURBO FORCE deck
74539 20hp Kawasaki w/52" TURBO FORCE deck
74548 24hp Kawasaki w/48" TURBO FORCE deck
74549 24hp Kawasaki w/52" TURBO FORCE deck
74551 25hp Kawasaki w/60" TURBO FORCE deck

-The Toro Company

mysteryman
12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks, Toro, for the information and for the update.

brucec32
12-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I guess you could say it floats, just not gracefully. Because of those deck edges hit turf you'll get gouging, not a nice smooth cut. I assume it's a tradeoff of having to keep the engine pulley and deck pulleys lined up. A true floater would be quite nice. I'd settle for a deck width that matches the wheel width so it can handle the undulations.

UGA, have you had any problems with deck packing or lack of vaccum with that 40" deck? Mine is disappointing in those areas.

mysteryman
12-12-2009, 05:07 PM
See Owners Manual for details on warranty coverage.
Product Type Riding Products
Chassis Type Stand On
Engine/Motor Size# 18 hp
Engine/Motor Type 4 Cycle EPA2
Transmission Type Hydrostatic

Engine Starter Electric
Transmission Manufacturer Hydro-Gear & Parker Motor
Transmission Model # Hydro-Gear PG 10cc / Parker Wheel Motor
Transmission Speed Infinitely Variable

I found this information on the Toro site for the 74536 (40" Grandstand 18hp) Can you tell me, is this a dual pump/dual motor setup like the larger models? Or is this a single pump/dual motor (or the unlikely scenario, a 'transaxle')?

Thank you.

The Toro Company
12-14-2009, 01:00 PM
mysteryman -

The new 36" and 40" GrandStand mowers utilize dual independent hydro pumps and wheel motors like the larger 48", 52" and 60" models.

-The Toro Company

cgaengineer
12-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I guess you could say it floats, just not gracefully. Because of those deck edges hit turf you'll get gouging, not a nice smooth cut. I assume it's a tradeoff of having to keep the engine pulley and deck pulleys lined up. A true floater would be quite nice. I'd settle for a deck width that matches the wheel width so it can handle the undulations.

UGA, have you had any problems with deck packing or lack of vaccum with that 40" deck? Mine is disappointing in those areas.

My deck does pack with weeds and wet grass. The small deck I think is the reason for this. Plenty of vac as long as the deck is not clogged up. I really only have problems with sappy weeds and really wet grass...very sharp blades do help.
Posted via Mobile Device

mysteryman
12-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I thank you for the response.