PDA

View Full Version : Stihl fs80r or fs100rx trimmer? 4mix good or bad?

powernoje
03-15-2009, 12:10 AM
ok, So I am going to be buying a new trimmer this week and I am torn between the fs80r and fs100rx. Has anyone had any experience with the stihl 4mix engines? I am just concerned they will be too slow. Please let me know what you think.

ktfinch2000
03-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I have an Km90 4mix and love it. It does take a bit to spin up to speed but once you master working the trigger its very powerful, not that loud, and great on fuel good luck they make great products!

milo
03-15-2009, 01:05 AM
great trimmers 100rx a little lighter and tiny more power. they are the future, everyone else, echo, red max, shindaiwa, tanaka, husqvarna trting to catch up. 4 mix engines are the future, just look at motocross racing, all was 2 stroke and everyone said a 4 stroke cannot ever win, well it won and its all they race now. 2 strokes only used for motocross freestyle now.

mag360
03-15-2009, 02:13 AM
fs100rx will break driveshafts under commercial use. We have broken three shafts on these machines and are retrofitting solid shafts from the fs90 now. Motors run great and have good power. We also had trouble with the lighter duty heads on the 100's and fitted the standard heads as replacements with no further problems.

The 4mix is good. The 100's are not fit for commercial use.

White Gardens
03-15-2009, 02:44 AM
fs100rx will break driveshafts under commercial use. We have broken three shafts on these machines and are retrofitting solid shafts from the fs90 now. Motors run great and have good power. We also had trouble with the lighter duty heads on the 100's and fitted the standard heads as replacements with no further problems.

The 4mix is good. The 100's are not fit for commercial use.

Ditto, go with the FS90 or FS110 with the solid shaft. That also gives you the option of putting attachments on it without fear of breaking the shaft.

CajunMeauxJeaux
03-15-2009, 02:49 AM
I run fs80r this is my second trimmer. My first trimmer lasted me 9 years. Replace carb. one time. I recently purchased a new fs80r. You need to hurry because they stopped production on fs80r models, they are going fast.

topsites
03-15-2009, 06:16 AM
Strange, my fs-100rx is starting it's 4th year, and it has suffered some down time
but no problems at all with the driveshaft...

The first thing that comes to mind is someone is running hedge trimmer extensions, because that would mess up a flex shaft.

The worst problem I had with mine was the carburetor had to be replaced.
Otherwise the best trimmer I've ever owned.

ok, So I am going to be buying a new trimmer this week and I am torn between the fs80r and fs100rx. Has anyone had any experience with the stihl 4mix engines? I am just concerned they will be too slow. Please let me know what you think.

If you're just starting out you might find the FS-80 a beast..!
Because the 4mix's have even more power than that, don't let the quiet sound of a 4-cycler fool you.

Now 3-4 years down the road you'll likely want more than a puny fs-80r,
but I am telling you these commercial machines have some POW..E.R..!
Yes, as in, scary amounts of it.

Consider also...
The Fs-80r does have a solid steel shaft, as compared to the 100's flex, you can run extensions with the 80 but not the 100.

Richard Martin
03-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Consider also...
The Fs-80r does have a solid steel shaft, as compared to the 100's flex, you can run extensions with the 80 but not the 100.

I have 2 FS80Rs and they both have a flex shaft. I believe the was the 85 that had the solid shaft.

David Haggerty
03-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Every spring Stihl has a sale. They've had the FS110 for $329.
That's the one I'd recommend. It looks kind of pricy until you compare life expectancy. Then it figures to be the cheapest you can buy.

Shihl products perform better using synthetic oil. I use Amsoil.

Roger
03-15-2009, 08:42 AM
I used Stihl FS85 and FC85 trimmer/edger for many years (as well as HS80 clipper, BG85 hand blower). The 85's are solid shaft, and the engines have held up well. After seven seasons, the FS85 finally gave up. I replaced it with an FX90, 4-Mix trimmer. It has more power, easier to start, solid shaft, quieter, and works very well. I have no reservations about the 4-Mix design.

swim
03-15-2009, 09:06 AM
I just love trimmer talk.:laugh:
I have no experience with the fs80r, but I do own 2 100rx's. As a dedicated trimmer only, they are always the first trimmer I reach for. In the spring when growth is fast and thick, the power is great. In the summer when its hot and light weight is the key it is still the first trimmer I reach for. I have other trimmers for running blades and attachments on.

I have allot of experience with other brands and sizes. I have Shindaiwas, a T230, t270, and a t242. They are great trimmers as well. I also have other Stihl trimmers, a 110kombi, a fs130r, and a fs250r, all great as well. nothing bad to say about any of them, but as a dedicated trimmer for most situations I currently carry 2 100rx's on the trailer for 90% of the stuff I run into and a Stihl 250r for the really rough stuff.:weightlifter:

BostonBull
03-15-2009, 09:32 AM
4 mix design is pretty bulletproof. Just do the neccesary maintenance (plug, fuel/air filter, run good mix, adjust valves once a year, DONT LET THEM IDLE ALL DAY!) and they will last 5 years easy!

White Gardens
03-15-2009, 11:21 AM
Strange, my fs-100rx is starting it's 4th year, and it has suffered some down time
but no problems at all with the driveshaft...

9 times out of 10 most LCO's aren't going to have problems with the hollow drive shaft.

The failures I've seen with the drive shaft is when you take the guard off the string head and run too much line, or trying to power through way too thick of brush.

mowerbrad
03-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I haven't had any issues with my fs100rx. I bought it new last spring, so it has only been through one season, but not one problem all season. I was very impressed. My dealer told me that I would be able to run attachments on this unit, but I haven't yet, since it doesn't have the solid shaft, I worry that the shaft will break.

Lazer_Z
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I haven't had any issues with my fs100rx. I bought it new last spring, so it has only been through one season, but not one problem all season. I was very impressed. My dealer told me that I would be able to run attachments on this unit, but I haven't yet, since it doesn't have the solid shaft, I worry that the shaft will break. Your dealer is a numb nut, it's already been stated that the 100RX is not rated for attachment use. I'm attacking you, it's just that your dealer has no idea what the machines he's selling are capable of. Just keep using it as a trimmer and you'll have 0 issues.

swim
03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
I haven't had any issues with my fs100rx. I bought it new last spring, so it has only been through one season, but not one problem all season. I was very impressed. My dealer told me that I would be able to run attachments on this unit, but I haven't yet, since it doesn't have the solid shaft, I worry that the shaft will break.

I think your dealer was misinformed about using attachments on the 100rx.
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FS100RX.html

mowerbrad
03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Your dealer is a numb nut, it's already been stated that the 100RX is not rated for attachment use. I'm attacking you, it's just that your dealer has no idea what the machines he's selling are capable of. Just keep using it as a trimmer and you'll have 0 issues.

Thats what I plan on. I will probably be buying a kombi unit for all the attachments this year. I'm pretty sure I was talking to the owner's son, he was a younger guy (maybe 21), not the usual guy I work with over there.

clay duncan
03-15-2009, 12:48 PM
i really like the FS110R. i have five of them and we run the crap out of them including attachments. i use stihl oil (orange) and 89 gas with no problems at all.

Lazer_Z
03-15-2009, 12:50 PM
That's what I plan on. I will probably be buying a kombi unit for all the attachments this year. I'm pretty sure I was talking to the owner's son, he was a younger guy (maybe 21), not the usual guy I work with over there. If you're looking at the Kombi check out the 130, if you need the power, if not I'd go no smaller than the 110. They are great units, it's nice to have a backup if something happens to your main trimmer and to be able to use it as anything you want with out the expense of a dedicated unit.

kaferhaus
03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
We have several FS90Rs, zero problems, plenty of power and they're great on fuel.

As the rest of the older trimmers get retired, we'll be buying more FS90s. Most dealers have them on sale right now for $279.00 and in my opinion they're a bargain at that price.

HenryB
03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
Your dealer is a numb nut, it's already been stated that the 100RX is not rated for attachment use. I'm attacking you, it's just that your dealer has no idea what the machines he's selling are capable of. Just keep using it as a trimmer and you'll have 0 issues.

Actually he is not a numb nut. I've been using my fs 100 rx's with attatchments for two years with zero problems. Even if the shaft broke $30 for a new one and it's light weight makes it worth it. So his dealer might have a little more experience in the field than most dealers. I know what Stihl's manual says.

Lazer_Z
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Actually he is not a numb nut. I've been using my fs 100 rx's with attachments for two years with zero problems. Even if the shaft broke $30 for a new one and it's light weight makes it worth it. So his dealer might have a little more experience in the field than most dealers. I know what Stihl's manual says.I'm glad you've had no problems in 2 years, but I know where my dealer stands regarding the use of the 100RX as an attachment carrier. I understand you wanting to use what you already have,but I'd rather buy what I know I'll need the first time around. I've got an FS 90 R as well as a KM 130 R, the 90 is a standard trimmer, but I would have no problem putting an attachment on the end because of the solid shaft. My KM 130 is set up as an edger and I have a line head for it as well.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-16-2009, 01:05 PM
If you dont have to buy a new stihl trimmer i wouldn't... I would wait for their new engines to come out.
This is the last year for the 4 Mix. I think it is a great engine and i wish they would keep it...

LilRabbit
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I have three 110 4mix and never a problem with shafts but problem with carbon build up and we do use the synthetic, about 25 hrs per week on two trimmers the other is a spare

genesis215
03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Definitely get the FS 100RX. It's much better than the old 2-cycle. Much quieter, much better on fuel, ALOT more power, easier to start, and it's lighter too. The 4-MIX is the nicest engine on a trimmer you can get. And they are HIGHLY reliable too. My friends all run FS 110's, and have the FS 80 as well, and they never pick up the 80. They love them, and have been used for 3 years with zero problems. Not to mention they are using Super Tech oil (!) in them. If you run Amsoil Saber or Opti-2 it will last 8-10 years easily.

Lazer_Z
03-16-2009, 09:10 PM
If you dont have to buy a new stihl trimmer i wouldn't... I would wait for their new engines to come out.
This is the last year for the 4 Mix. I think it is a great engine and i wish they would keep it...Huh? :confused:

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but I highly doubt Stihl is going to get rid of it's line of 4 Mix equipment.

powernoje
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am planning to go to my dealer tomorrow and pickup a fs100rx. I will let you know how it works out. :cool2:

GracesLandscaping
03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
my dealer reccomends the fs90 over the 100... hope this helps

Nick's Lawn Care
03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Huh? :confused:

I'm not sure where you're getting your info, but I highly doubt Stihl is going to get rid of it's line of 4 Mix equipment.

I wonder where your getting yours... Stihl has lost too many customers with the 4-Mix... Their new engine will be a combo of both. Thats all i can say...

Nick

powernoje
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
my dealer reccomends the fs90 over the 100... hope this helps

Why do they recommend the fs90? What is the difference between that and the fs100?

Lazer_Z
03-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I wonder where your getting yours... Stihl has lost too many customers with the 4-Mix... Their new engine will be a combo of both. Thats all i can say...

Nick Hmm, Well if you think about it hard enough (don't hurt yourself) that's what the 4 Mix is.

Who said they're loosing customers? Just because you read on here that a select few don't like Stihl that means they are loosing customers, huh?

You kids crack me up, I swear you do :laugh:

Nick's Lawn Care
03-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Hmm, Well if you think about it hard enough (don't hurt yourself) that's what the 4 Mix is.

Who said they're loosing customers? Just because you read on here that a select few don't like Stihl that means they are loosing customers, huh?

Haha think what you want to think...

And i said the new engine is a mix between a regular 2 cycle and a 4 Mix...you:hammerhead:

Compared to the customers they used to have, they have lost quite a few...

growandmoe
03-16-2009, 10:16 PM
i have used the 100 for a season now with no problems...plenty of power and good weight. did have issues starting it; it seemed to take a different sequence everytime-sometimes warm, choke, prime, pull... sometimes warm, just pull, etc. i would get a model next time, though, that can change cutting heads.

swim
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM

And i said the new engine is a mix between a regular 2 cycle and a 4 Mix...you:hammerhead:

I'm all ears. let me know whats up with the new engines when you can.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Hmm, Well if you think about it hard enough (don't hurt yourself) that's what the 4 Mix is.

Dont get me wrong, the 4 Mix is a GREAT engine...

tlc23
03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
You can't go wrong with the FS80, get one while you can. I have a fs80 and fs130 the 130 never get used because I like 80 so much.

green acres2009
03-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I own three 100fs 4mixes and all three have a real bad vibration in shaft. Can't even use them.Started replacing them with the 90fs 4mix. The only difference in the two is that the 100 has a hollow shaft and the 90 is solid you can run a brush cutter on the 90 since the shaft is solid. Not much heavier but it will withstand the abuse

Richard Martin
03-17-2009, 09:30 AM
I own three 100fs 4mixes and all three have a real bad vibration in shaft. Can't even use them.

That's not the fault of the trimmer. It's the fault of whoever put it together. If the trimmer head isn't at a 90° angle to the engine crankshaft you will get a nasty vibration until it revs up pretty high. Loosen the bolts holding the trimmer head to the shaft and make sure the head is at a 90° angle to the engine. The vibration should go away.

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 09:45 AM
wonder where your getting yours... Stihl has lost too many customers with the 4-Mix... Their new engine will be a combo of both. Thats all i can say...

The 4 Mix has been Stihl's biggest boon to sales in years. They're market share has INCREASED since releasing it and everyone else is struggling to catch up.

The 4-Mix IS A COMBO of both 2 and 4 cycle technology....

Put down the crack pipe now.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
The 4 Mix has been Stihl's biggest boon to sales in years. They're market share has INCREASED since releasing it and everyone else is struggling to catch up.

The 4-Mix IS A COMBO of both 2 and 4 cycle technology....

Put down the crack pipe now.

Put down the crack pipe??

It seems like you need to...:laugh:

tamadrummer
03-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Put down the crack pipe??

It seems like you need to...:laugh:

Do you know what the 4-mix engine is?

They are actually going to be putting them in chainsaws next year. It is a real 4 stroke engine that uses 2 cycle fuel mix to power and lubricate it.

Shindaiwa developed the technology and Stihl followed suit soon after. There is NO word on the street here about them changing to a different engine design other than reducing the number of pure 2 cycle engines and moving to more 4-mix engines.

As far as the FS100rx goes, I don't have one and I won't be buying one. I don't need a tool that cannot take attachments. I already have a curved shaft edger so that is my one trick pony and don't need others on the trailer.

Buy an FS90r or bigger and be happy. If you like 2 cycle, the FS250r is the ticket if you don't care then the FS130r would be the ticket. It is a great machine and will do all you ask it to!

Nick's Lawn Care
03-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Do you know what the 4-mix engine is?

They are actually going to be putting them in chainsaws next year. It is a real 4 stroke engine that uses 2 cycle fuel mix to power and lubricate it.

Shindaiwa developed the technology and Stihl followed suit soon after. There is NO word on the street here about them changing to a different engine design other than reducing the number of pure 2 cycle engines and moving to more 4-mix engines.

As far as the FS100rx goes, I don't have one and I won't be buying one. I don't need a tool that cannot take attachments. I already have a curved shaft edger so that is my one trick pony and don't need others on the trailer.

Buy an FS90r or bigger and be happy. If you like 2 cycle, the FS250r is the ticket if you don't care then the FS130r would be the ticket. It is a great machine and will do all you ask it to!

A few of the new chainsaws are already out (211, 181, 361, 441). The only thing different with the engines are the carbs. The new chainsaws do NOT have valves, they are not putting valves in chainsaws... i dont care what you say...

The new engines are going to be 100% 2 cycle. It will be a 2 cycle engine, NO valves. Just the carb will be more advanced to create more power and use less fuel... JUST LIKE THE NEW CHAINSAWS...

I would like for you to look at a new chainsaw and show me where the valves are because i dont see any on them...

tamadrummer
03-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Yes they are making 4 mix saws for release NEXT year. NOT the newer 171, 181, 211 with the catalytic converters and other emmisions compliance parts.

Talk to your dealer or take a second to call Stihl and ask them if I am wrong you will know right away but the 4 mix is where Stihl is moving and it is a train that will not be stopping anytime soon.

milo
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
get the 100rx pick up all 3 the fs80 fs90 and fs100 80 and 100 both light and if your not putting on any attachments the 90 has no advantage over either or the other 2. 100rx would be my choice easy than 80 than 90

Nick's Lawn Care
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Yes they are making 4 mix saws for release NEXT year. NOT the newer 171, 181, 211 with the catalytic converters and other emmisions compliance parts.

Talk to your dealer or take a second to call Stihl and ask them if I am wrong you will know right away but the 4 mix is where Stihl is moving and it is a train that will not be stopping anytime soon.

I'll go to my dealer today and talk to them, i'll let you know tonight...

topsites
03-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I have 2 FS80Rs and they both have a flex shaft. I believe the was the 85 that had the solid shaft.

Oh I am sorry, that is correct, it's the 85 I should have recommended.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-17-2009, 02:31 PM
I dont believe STIHL will be putting the 4-mix in the Chainsaws anytime soon. They are creating enough "clean units" to keep from doing this. They made a concept model of a 4 mix chainsaw several years ago. Users did not like it because of its low noise they didn't think it produced enough power. They're new 2 cycle technology is fuel effecient and meets EPA standards over ten years down the road.

I have heard rumor of a new engine development though for Trimmers and Blowers. But STIHL has not confirmed this.

As for losing customers. Last year STIHL was the ONLY company that increased in sales as a whole. Non of the competitors did this. As a matter of fact most had to team up just to prevent from being bought out by other foreign companies.

sosaysmorvant
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but please answer this question:

Can these Stihl products "edge" as well as knock down grass? For years I used a Weedeater brand trimmer that flipped upside down so I could get an edger look along my driveway/flowerbeds. Since most trimmers do not flip as my old one did, is it possible to get that edger look without breaking your back or having awkward positioning.

Thanks in advance.

cgaengineer
03-17-2009, 03:34 PM

Unless its jet turbine or a rocket engine its either a 2 cycle or a 4 cycle...there is no in between.

Maybe its the nuclear one I have been waiting for?

4Mix= Same 4 cycle engine as 100 years ago, nothing different except for the lack of an oil sump and the need for mixed fuel for lubrication.

I don't know about you, but I was glad they came out with a 4 stroke...2 cycles stink, they use more fuel and don't idle as smooth. After using my BR600 and KM130 I would never go back to a 2 stroke.

milo
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but please answer this question:

Can these Stihl products "edge" as well as knock down grass? For years I used a Weedeater brand trimmer that flipped upside down so I could get an edger look along my driveway/flowerbeds. Since most trimmers do not flip as my old one did, is it possible to get that edger look without breaking your back or having awkward positioning.

Thanks in advance.
every trimmer can do this, its 2009 not 1909.

cgaengineer
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM
every trimmer can do this, its 2009 not 1909.

Why didn't someone tell me this? I have been using one of those serrated wheel things from Home Depot!

Lazer_Z
03-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I dont believe STIHL will be putting the 4-mix in the Chainsaws anytime soon. They are creating enough "clean units" to keep from doing this. They made a concept model of a 4 mix chainsaw several years ago. Users did not like it because of its low noise they didn't think it produced enough power. They're new 2 cycle technology is fuel effecient and meets EPA standards over ten years down the road.

I have heard rumor of a new engine development though for Trimmers and Blowers. But STIHL has not confirmed this.

As for losing customers. Last year STIHL was the ONLY company that increased in sales as a whole. Non of the competitors did this. As a matter of fact most had to team up just to prevent from being bought out by other foreign companies. Speaking of which, I got this in an e-mail from another landscaping related magazine that I receive https://www.lawnandlandscape.com/Echo_Shindaiwa_merge_operations.aspx

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Speaking of which, I got this in an e-mail from another landscaping related magazine that I receive https://www.lawnandlandscape.com/Echo_Shindaiwa_merge_operations.aspx

I'd heard rumors to that effect but didn't put much stock in it.

Likely the Shins will end up with Echo engines... really don't know if that's good or bad.

powernoje
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
I went to my dealer today and picked up a fs100rx... I put about 2hrs on it today and loved it... Thanks for the advice... :drinkup:

milo
03-17-2009, 10:52 PM
perfect pick, what made you go with the 100rx??? and what are the prices yet fs80 279.99? fs90 299.99? 100rx 319.99????

powernoje
03-17-2009, 11:00 PM
perfect pick, what made you go with the 100rx??? and what are the prices yet fs80 279.99? fs90 299.99? 100rx 319.99????

I went with the 100 because of it's light weight. At my dealer the 80, 90, and 100 were all $329...

RonAyersMotorsports
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Retails FS80 &FS90 $299.99. FS100RX grass cutting only hollowed inner aluminum shaft is $339.95.

RonAyersMotorsports
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I went with the 100 because of it's light weight. At my dealer the 80, 90, and 100 were all $329...

Great choice. Be sure after about two seasons to have the valves adjusted and this guy will continue to serve you year after year. Be sure to never use it for anything other than grass cutting and do not remove the guard.

Richard Martin
03-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Great choice. Be sure after about two seasons to have the valves adjusted and this guy will continue to serve you year after year. Be sure to never use it for anything other than grass cutting and do not remove the guard.

Gee. You sure do have a lot of rules there pal. :laugh:

cgaengineer
03-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Gee. You sure do have a lot of rules there pal. :laugh:

He forgot hearing protection and safety glasses...chaps as well if you have wimpy stick legs.:laugh::laugh:

Southernlandscape343
03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
I went with a FS90R trimmer and absolutely love it! Plenty of power, starts right up. I love the 4 stroke engines. More efficiant on fuel and much quieter than a two stroke.

raymn
07-16-2009, 01:26 AM
Why is the FS 90 R much heavier than the FS 100 RX if the FS100 is stronger? And why would you get the FS 90 if the FS80 has the same power and is lighter?

2Ts UT
07-16-2009, 01:38 AM
I've got the fs100rx and the fs110r. Basically the same except you can't change out gearbox attachments on the rx... which I don't do anyway. I love my 100rx. Its light, powerful, solid. I would buy another one unequivocally. I love my stihls.

retrodog
07-16-2009, 03:55 AM
all 2 stroke...don't get the 4 mix!! I have $3800 worth of 4 mix, and so far with a year and a half of use I have had every 4 mix piece in the shop atleast twice, some 4 times. The br600 is a POS!! I almost threw it away the other day blowing an apartment complex. I did actually throw away a 90!! 4 times in the shop, runs for 15 minutes and then loses power, the my guys can't figure out whats wrong with it, stihl guys say nothing is wrong with it, I got so mad I took the head off and threw it in the dumpster, didn't even look back. If you do get stihl only get the 80. I have 80's, 76's, and 85's with no issues at all, all this has left a really bad taste in my mouth about Stihl. I have one friend that bought 20 110's on a fleet discount, and he said atleast 10 have been in the shop for something, he hates them now also. Everyone tells us to try Robin, Kawasaki, or Huskavarna, I have heard nothing but good out of these handhelds so far.

raymn
07-16-2009, 04:04 AM
seems like alot of new things are bad.. like how older kawasaki trimmers are good, but the new ones are horrible.

Roger
07-16-2009, 09:29 AM
seems like alot of new things are bad.. ...

For every post similar to that of restrodog, there are many posts extolling the merits of Stihl 4-Mix products.

I've never understood why one LCO has such great success with one line of products, and other LCO buys exactly the same set of products, and has nothing but troubles. This is not unique to hand held products, but others as well.

This pattern is just the same in other products as well. I've recently done research on household appliances and autos. In reading "consumer reviews," they are mixed with the same pattern. For one, the product is nothing but junk for reasons XXX, YYY, and ZZZ. For another, the product is good for five stars, for reasons, XXX, YYY, and ZZZ (the same things). How can this be?

Alan0354
07-16-2009, 01:28 PM
For every post similar to that of restrodog, there are many posts extolling the merits of Stihl 4-Mix products.

I've never understood why one LCO has such great success with one line of products, and other LCO buys exactly the same set of products, and has nothing but troubles. This is not unique to hand held products, but others as well.

This pattern is just the same in other products as well. I've recently done research on household appliances and autos. In reading "consumer reviews," they are mixed with the same pattern. For one, the product is nothing but junk for reasons XXX, YYY, and ZZZ. For another, the product is good for five stars, for reasons, XXX, YYY, and ZZZ (the same things). How can this be?

If you refering to Consummer Reports, I subscribe to it. I notice the auto section is very accurate because it is very simple to survey. Either owners have problem and have to bring the car into the shop or not. No if and buts about it.

For more specilized products like photographic equipments, they don't know what they are talking about because I don't believe the consummers don't have the know how to judge. Just like if you survey for lawn hand held equipments from general public, homeown's biggest problem is old gas, and when things don't work, they blame on the equipments!!!

You can't rely everything on CR, but just for the auto, it's worth it's keep.

Richard Martin
07-16-2009, 01:57 PM
If you refering to Consummer Reports, I subscribe to it. I notice the auto section is very accurate because it is very simple to survey. Either owners have problem and have to bring the car into the shop or not. No if and buts about it.

You can't rely everything on CR, but just for the auto, it's worth it's keep.

Not really. Autos are no different than lawn mowers or trimmers. It's the same for almost everything. Take this for example and it's true...

I have a friend that has nothing but trouble from one end to the other when ordering parts online or even from a dealer. The parts take forever to show up, they don't show up, they're always the wrong parts etc. I'm the exact opposite. Mine always works just like you'd expect ordering parts to.

He even has massive problems with sending and receiving mail. I have zero problems.

Karma? Who knows.

mag360
07-16-2009, 02:01 PM

retrodog is a dealer

Alan0354
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Not really. Autos are no different than lawn mowers or trimmers. It's the same for almost everything. Take this for example and it's true...

I have a friend that has nothing but trouble from one end to the other when ordering parts online or even from a dealer. The parts take forever to show up, they don't show up, they're always the wrong parts etc. I'm the exact opposite. Mine always works just like you'd expect ordering parts to.

He even has massive problems with sending and receiving mail. I have zero problems.

Karma? Who knows.

I mainly refer to CR access on reliability of cars vs specialty items that need experty to know how to use it. Not regarding dealers.

I had so much problem buying parts from auto dealers it's not even funny. That is one major reason I don't work on cars anymore. All the wrong parts, parts don't work. It is not a funny matter if the car is jet up, blocking the garage and find out you have the wrong part!!! No transportation to exchange, can't close the garage or stored is closed for the weekend!!! You name it!!!

Yuanding
07-16-2009, 07:34 PM
This is the last year for the 4 Mix. I think it is a great engine and i wish they would keep it...

Oh really? What's coming out to replace it?

Roger
07-16-2009, 09:41 PM
No, my comments were not about Consumer Reports. Recently, I've done much research about digital cameras, so have been to many, many sites. The pattern is the same. Also, I've done research on dishwashers, and found the same pattern. Reviews of automobiles fits the same pattern. The magazine reviews seem to hold the most weight for me.

Some people love the product for certain reasons, and others hate the product for the same reasons (e.g reliability). As far as trimmers and other handheld 4-Mix products, one person cannot buy all "Friday made" items -- just cannot happen.

I'm nearly to the conclusion that the owner reviews and ratings are almost worthless. The Stihl 4-Mix products is one example of how I reach this conclusion. The same product cannot possibly be so great for one use, and so horrible for another user. Somewhere on the extreme ends of the spectrum, the stories apparently are being sacrificed on the altar of shading the truth.

Alan0354
07-16-2009, 09:50 PM
No, my comments were not about Consumer Reports. Recently, I've done much research about digital cameras, so have been to many, many sites. The pattern is the same. Also, I've done research on dishwashers, and found the same pattern. Reviews of automobiles fits the same pattern. The magazine reviews seem to hold the most weight for me.

Some people love the product for certain reasons, and others hate the product for the same reasons (e.g reliability). As far as trimmers and other handheld 4-Mix products, one person cannot buy all "Friday made" items -- just cannot happen.

I'm nearly to the conclusion that the owner reviews and ratings are almost worthless. The Stihl 4-Mix products is one example of how I reach this conclusion. The same product cannot possibly be so great for one use, and so horrible for another user. Somewhere on the extreme ends of the spectrum, the stories apparently are being sacrificed on the altar of shading the truth.

Speaking about camera. I was a photograph before, DO NOT read CR!!! Also audio and video equipments!!! They know NOTHING about these kind of products. Better off reading something like Popular Photography type. I got burnt 100% of the time on many items of this kind. It is not just feedback from consummers alone. I don't think their testers know enough to judge these kind of technical products.

tamadrummer
07-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I just picked up a new FS100RX on Monday before I had to leave for my older brothers funeral and used it all day. All I can say it is that it is now my go to trimmer because it is powerful but so light! I love it!

My JD XT140LE broke so my "light" trimmer was gone and I needed a lighter trimmer than my FS130 for normal use.

As long as you have something to be able to use attachments for I would not hesitate to use the 100 for a second!

HenryB
07-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I just picked up a new FS100RX on Monday before I had to leave for my older brothers funeral and used it all day. All I can say it is that it is now my go to trimmer because it is powerful but so light! I love it!

My JD XT140LE broke so my "light" trimmer was gone and I needed a lighter trimmer than my FS130 for normal use.

As long as you have something to be able to use attachments for I would not hesitate to use the 100 for a second!

You can use the 100 rx for attatchments. I've been for 3 years no problems at all.
Really sorry about your brother.

milike
07-17-2009, 01:09 PM
retrodog is a dealer

Did not know that :confused:

Puts the remarks in a different lisght:hammerhead:

retrodog
07-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Did not know that :confused:

Puts the remarks in a different lisght:hammerhead:

I am also an LCO. I just turned into a dealer here recently. When I say I own $3800 of 4 mix equipment, I mean I operate and use daily that equipment (or my guys I should say, with me helping sometimes). I picked up Redmax so I would have handhelds available (big fan of the blowers). Usually my comments I make are from my own experience as an LCO not a dealer. I currently have a 3 mower rig with 8 trimmers, 3 blowers, 2 hedge clippers, 2 edgers, 1 pole saw, 2 chainsaws, 1 tiller that get used atleast 4 days a week. We mow an average of 80 acres a week, take care of 36 accounts, do full landscaping including irrigation. I only became a dealer because of the way I was treated by a mower manufacture, the fact that my dealer didn't take care of me the way I thought I should be taken care of, and for the fun of it. It turned out to be another full time deal for me though. My first year as a dealer we turned platinum, and I had to train the guys to take care of the accounts with me there all the time.

Cooter
07-17-2009, 01:54 PM
How would you compare the XT140 to the 100RX. I had a 100RX, it was stolen. After it was warm it would always start hard, about make you want to throw it. When running it was a pretty good trimmer.

Alan0354
07-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Guys, your trimmer is the best.....bar none!!!:laugh::laugh:

tamadrummer
07-17-2009, 05:35 PM
Guys, your trimmer is the best.....bar none!!!:laugh::laugh:

No Yungman, your Honda 4 stroke handlebar brushcutter is the best.

As far as comparing the 140 to the 100rx is like apples to oranges.

The 140 is light but gutless and the 100 is a powerhouse!

Lazer_Z
07-17-2009, 05:47 PM
No Yungman, your Honda 4 stroke handlebar brushcutter is the best.

As far as comparing the 140 to the 100rx is like apples to oranges.

The 140 is light but gutless and the 100 is a powerhouse!Tama, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that knew who "Alan" really was. Go back into the hole you crawled out of Yungman you jack@ss. Good purchase with the 100RX. Sorry to hear of your loss.

tamadrummer
07-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Tama, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that knew who "Alan" really was. Go back into the hole you crawled out of Yungman you jack@ss. Good purchase with the 100RX. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Thank you. He was murdered by a crazy woman in NC but she is in jail thank goodness!

It has been a crazy week in my world for sure!

Alan0354
07-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Hey, I make it a point not commenting on all your Stihl, redmax at all so far. Try to stay out of your way and mind my own business and read more. Why don't you just leave it at that!!!

My Honda broke more than once and I am not even using it. After all these time, I don't even think there are much difference between brands. Buy whatever you like, your's are the best!!

*trucewhiteflag*

lyube
07-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Tama, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that knew who "Alan" really was. Go back into the hole you crawled out of Yungman you jack@ss. Good purchase with the 100RX. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Who is yungmann and what did he do?

Alan0354
07-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Who is yungmann and what did he do?

I was here over a year ago and I critizised Stihl 4Mix very bad and I was banned. Now a days, I don't even comment much about stuff I don't have and I just read a lot here for information.