PDA

View Full Version : Banana tree

Bass1
03-14-2009, 11:27 PM
I just got a new client this week after giving them a price they accepted it and as I was leaving they asked if I would prune there banana tree, I do not have any of these or have never even pruned one, so how should I do I heard two different ways 1) to burn the dead leaves, I was told it would be fine because it would burn only to were the moisture starts and go out, but I was not to sure of this because I don't want to burn the tree down. 2) was just to cut the brown leaves back, which sounds better.

SNAPPER MAN
03-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't have any customers who have banana plants but I have some at my house and each year i hack them down with a machete about a foot from the ground and they grow back 6 to 7 feet each year. It is easiest to just hack them down and let them come back.

By-The-Lake
03-15-2009, 01:59 AM
I would just use a strong knife with a serrated edge to cut the leaves back fairly close to the trunk. The new leaves are already formed in the trunk and will emerge from the trunk in due time. I would not trim the trunk at all unless the client wants a smaller plant. Having said that you could cut the trunk all the way back if you really needed to as the plant will grow back from the large rhizome under ground similar which is similar to those of a canna plant.

Bass1
03-15-2009, 06:48 AM
Thank you both very much!!

ed2hess
03-15-2009, 09:40 AM
We cut them down with chain saw and then cut it up in pieces light enough to carry out.