PDA

View Full Version : Smartline SLW15 / SLW25?

kcrossley
03-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Does anyone know when Smartline will be releasing these sensors?

mitchgo
03-15-2009, 01:07 AM
They are both available..
Maybe the SL site isn't updated.

I Just installed a wireless one 2 days ago.

https://www.plumbersstock.com/product.html?partNumber=27933

http://irritechonline.com/pro1403998.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/Smart-Line-SLW15-On-Site-Weather-Stations_W0QQitemZ290300761556QQcmdZViewItem

kcrossley
03-15-2009, 01:15 AM
Did it work okay?

mitchgo
03-15-2009, 01:21 AM
They work fine. We just switched over to the new wireless weather station from the wired one sl10 ..

The main thing with programming that controller with a weather station is to have a default programming in.. IF for some reason there is no communication between the 2 devices after 5 days it will switch over to the default programming.

I Highly recommend after you get the controller installed to have a professional come and program it correctly

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-15-2009, 07:52 AM
From past experience with new products and with WM in particular if at all possible a SL 10 (hardwire sensor weather monitor) can be used I'd go that route. I'm convinced the irrigation manufacturers in general do not extensively test their products but rely on contractor feedback and returns. Wireless products are so darn tempting from a labor point of view but letting a product be on the market at least a year and having others do the testing can save you a lot of aggravation. Fortunately my supply house relationships are good enough that I get straight answers when I ask about returns on products. I quit doing volume business with a supply house in Dallas because they flat out lied to me concerning a problem the RB PE valve had when it first came out 20 years ago and it still sticks with me today.

hoskm01
03-15-2009, 11:10 AM
They work fine. We just switched over to the new wireless weather station from the wired one sl10 ..

The main thing with programming that controller with a weather station is to have a default programming in.. IF for some reason there is no communication between the 2 devices after 5 days it will switch over to the default programming.

I Highly recommend after you get the controller installed to have a professional come and program it correctly
And then come back four to eight more times throughout the year to lie to the controller so it doesnt overwater the he!! out of your yard.

Ive found the WMSL's to take a lot of upkeep on the programming side. Whats actually needed in the yard is typically a far cry from the true conditions that you program into the controller.

But then again, any system needs adjusting, even ET controllers, as conditions in the yard change.

Kiril
03-15-2009, 11:47 AM
And then come back four to eight more times throughout the year to lie to the controller so it doesnt overwater the he!! out of your yard.

Ive found the WMSL's to take a lot of upkeep on the programming side. Whats actually needed in the yard is typically a far cry from the true conditions that you program into the controller.

But then again, any system needs adjusting, even ET controllers, as conditions in the yard change.

It generally takes me one complete season in an established yard for me to dial in a controller, "smart" or not.

With respect to the sensor, as with any weather sensor, placement is critical, and one would hope it is placed where it represents the average conditions the entire landscape will see.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
The most effective method for MAX water savings inmo is to keep the system off. Observe and check landscape with a reliable soil moisture sensor. Run the zones individually as needed. Apply a 1/2" with multi cycling to avoid run off.

This requires a HANDS ON homeowner which seems to have died out with my parents generation. I've got 80 year olds with mechanical timers that manage water about as well as it can be done.

Mike Leary
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
This requires a HANDS ON homeowner which seems to have died out with my parents generation.

We have two airline pilots who both have Hardie "Touch Command" clocks
and adjust the dickens out of them, with great results. The rest leave the
clocks to us.

Kiril
03-15-2009, 12:28 PM
The most effective method for MAX water savings inmo is to keep the system off. Observe and check landscape with a reliable soil moisture sensor. Run the zones individually as needed. Apply a 1/2" with multi cycling to avoid run off.

This requires a HANDS ON homeowner which seems to have died out with my parents generation. I've got 80 year olds with mechanical timers that manage water about as well as it can be done.

WAYYYYYY to much work, and should not be left to the homeowner.

I typically will do my generic schedule based on ET calculations for the property, then I will monitor soil moisture by taking readings right after an irrigation event (once the soil has reached field capacity) and the day before the next scheduled watering. From this information and plant observations I will make adjustments to the schedule.

Mike Leary
03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
From this information and plant observations I will make adjustments to the schedule.

Same with us; we'll then use the percentage feature to adjust through the season.

Kiril
03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Same with us; we'll then use the percentage feature to adjust through the season.

Yup .... schedule for the worst case scenario, adjust from there. The only thing I don't like about season adjust is how it only allows adjustments in run time, not in water days. Many times my adjustments dictate a complete change in watering intervals, and the simple increase/decrease of a run time simply does not cut it.

Mike Leary
03-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Many times my adjustments dictate a complete change in watering intervals, and the simple increase/decrease of a run time simply does not cut it.

Your right, that's where Central System would be a dream come true. Calsense/RM anyone?

Tom Tom
03-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Yup .... schedule for the worst case scenario, adjust from there. The only thing I don't like about season adjust is how it only allows adjustments in run time, not in water days. Many times my adjustments dictate a complete change in watering intervals, and the simple increase/decrease of a run time simply does not cut it.

Yup, thats my biggest grip with the SL and solar sync setups.

Supposedly that new esp-smx adjusts by water days also.

smartdials adjust by day, but their $48 yearly fee is a turn off

kcrossley
03-15-2009, 12:49 PM
So, what's the consensus, is a supposedly smart system like the Smartline SL 1600 and SLW** worth the time and expense?

Kiril
03-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Yup, thats my biggest grip with the SL and solar sync setups.

The SL is considerably better than some of the other "non-smart" controllers which only allow a season adjust per schedule, or just one for all schedules. Given it allows for season adjust per month per schedule, it removes the need for return visits to the controller and if you find the breaking point of your landscape on a per schedule basis, then you can get much closer to what is really needed when coupled with the automatic run time weather adjustments. Not ideal, but better than most.

Supposedly that new esp-smx adjusts by water days also.

Never really cared for RB controllers, but I admit, their new "smart" controller looks to be a good solution from what I have seen so far .... and is light years better than their ET manager. It also appears to be a little more flexible with regard to dialing it into a particular landscape than the SL is.

smartdials adjust by day, but their $48 yearly fee is a turn off

I will never pay, or expect my clients to pay, a service fee for a smart controller. On site weather data is by far the most accurate method of making climate based adjustments to an irrigation schedule.

Kiril
03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
So, what's the consensus, is a supposedly smart system like the Smartline SL 1600 and SLW** worth the time and expense?

Yes it is. :)

Mike Leary
03-15-2009, 01:26 PM

Yup, the W*M is all we use anymore for our medium-end clocks.

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-15-2009, 01:52 PM

In spite of all my WM gripes I'm with the the previous posters as well.

JUST DO IT

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-15-2009, 01:56 PM
WAYYYYYY to much work, and should not be left to the homeowner.

I typically will do my generic schedule based on ET calculations for the property, then I will monitor soil moisture by taking readings right after an irrigation event (once the soil has reached field capacity) and the day before the next scheduled watering. From this information and plant observations I will make adjustments to the schedule.

Control (ler) freak.................

hoskm01
03-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Absolutely. But dont limit yourself to the WM.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Absolutely. But dont limit yourself to the WM.

What do you mean? Should I be looking at other options? I thought the WM was the best.

hoskm01
03-16-2009, 10:44 AM
What do you mean? Should I be looking at other options? I thought the WM was the best.
Add an ET Cartridge to a RB ESP controller.

Irritrol PC Control if youre a computer nerd too. (Free Remote)

Irritrol Smart Dial.

ET Water.

AquaConserve.

Explore your options. ET Water will probably be the most expensive.

Kiril
03-16-2009, 11:00 AM

For the price, WM is the best (ET based) right now. RB new controller might trump them however if it is competitively priced.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 11:14 AM
For the price, WM is the best (ET based) right now. RB new controller might trump them however if it is competitively priced.

The Rainbird ET is about $500
The WM SL1600 w/ extra zone and SLW10 is about $250.00

Kiril
03-16-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm not talking about the POS RB ET manager, but the new ET controller that has not been released yet (to my knowledge).

There is a thread about it somewhere in this forum.

hoskm01
03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
The ET MAnager is a rip. If you can wait a bit, check out the noew one. Somethin like the ESP MXC or somethin like that.

kcrossley
Oh, sorry. Didn't know about that one.

Of course, it would probably take some time for users to determine if the yet unreleased Rainbird works well. Right now it seems like the WM has the best track record, so that's what I'll probably go with.

DanaMac
Oh, sorry. Didn't know about that one.

Of course, it would probably take some time for users to determine if the yet unreleased Rainbird works well. Right now it seems like the WM has the best track record, so that's what I'll probably go with.

Plenty of guys here on LS have had problems with the WM-SL too.

Wet_Boots
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
How much is the Hunter SolarSynch dealie?

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Rats! Isn't anything easy these days?

Does anyone have a link to info about the new Rainbird smart controller? I assume it has an onsite weather station as well, correct?

Kiril
03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Plenty of guys here on LS have had problems with the WM-SL too.

Oh, I have had plenty of problems with bad face plates, but no problems so far once the controller is stable. Time will tell I guess. I have 5 of the new wireless weather stations in service, we shall see how that shakes out.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Oh, I have had plenty of problems with bad face plates

This is more of a cosmetic problem, correct?

Kiril
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
Rats! Isn't anything easy these days?

Does anyone have a link to info about the new Rainbird smart controller? I assume it has an onsite weather station as well, correct?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256463

This is more of a cosmetic problem, correct?

No, it was an internal problem with the electronics.
If you get a bad one, take the faceplate back to the dealer and get a new one.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 11:40 AM
How good is Weathermatic for warranty issues?

Mike Leary
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM

We had one board go bad out of seven we've installed; replaced, no quibbles.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
That's good to know. The new Rainbird smart controller looks interesting and it's certainly from a reputable company, but I can't find any info on a tentative release date.

Kiril
03-16-2009, 11:52 AM

3 years on the controller, not sure about the weather station.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Okay, here's a question you professionals might not like. How hard is it for Joe consumer (i.e me) to replace a Toro controller with a WM SL-1600 and SLW10?

Mike Leary
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM
With apologies to Kiril, here's how we install the W*M and splice box.

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Whoa Mike. I only have eight zones at my place. Do I really need that splice box?

Kiril
03-16-2009, 12:00 PM
With apologies to Kiril, here's how we install the W*M and splice box.

Too bad that is Russ's work. :laugh:

Kiril
03-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Whoa Mike. I only have eight zones at my place. Do I really need that splice box?

Ignore Mike .... he's just anal retentive about wiring. He's got to justify that $1500/zone cost somehow. :laugh:

Mike Leary
03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Too bad that is Russ's work. :laugh:

Guess who taught him?

Waterit
03-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Ignore Mike .... he's just anal retentive about wiring. He's got to justify that $1500/zone cost somehow. :laugh:

What he says. No need for a splice box for 8 zones. And cable ties are optional.

Mike Leary
03-16-2009, 01:40 PM
What he says. No need for a splice box for 8 zones. And cable ties are optional.

Pikers.....