PDA

View Full Version : Leaks?

kcrossley
03-15-2009, 12:19 AM
What's the easiest way to determine if my irrigation system has a leak?

mitchgo
03-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Your Water Meter should have a leak detector in the middle ( A Small dial that spins when water is being used. The device is fairly sensitive )

The Best way to check .
Extremely recommended to have 2 people

If you have winterized ( Blown compressed air though out the system) Make sure you turn on your system and cycle through all the zones several times.

After this.. Have one go to the water meter ( Make sure you are not using any water in the house. Turn off the irrigation. Verify that the meter is not moving by giving it at least a 1-2 min stare down. After this quickly turn on your irrigation.

If the meter bumps or you can actually here water rush through you obviously have a leak. But if it doesn't bump at all then you don't have a leak.

TRILAWNCARE
03-15-2009, 12:41 AM

A little more information would be helpful. Why do you think you have a leak?

Give us a little history about your system. Do you have a pump? Municipal water supply? Master Valve?

FIMCO-MEISTER
03-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Your Water Meter should have a leak detector in the middle ( A Small dial that spins when water is being used. The device is fairly sensitive )

The Best way to check .
Extremely recommended to have 2 people

If you have winterized ( Blown compressed air though out the system) Make sure you turn on your system and cycle through all the zones several times.

After this.. Have one go to the water meter ( Make sure you are not using any water in the house. Turn off the irrigation. Verify that the meter is not moving by giving it at least a 1-2 min stare down. After this quickly turn on your irrigation.

If the meter bumps or you can actually here water rush through you obviously have a leak. But if it doesn't bump at all then you don't have a leak.

Ditto....
My exact technique as well. I have though had bump leaks that didn't always register on the meter. I'm not sure what the amount is but I have been told by the city that in some cases a certain amount of flow has to occur for the meter to register it.

mitchgo
03-15-2009, 06:53 AM
Ditto....
My exact technique as well. I have though had bump leaks that didn't always register on the meter. I'm not sure what the amount is but I have been told by the city that in some cases a certain amount of flow has to occur for the meter to register it.

That is true. It depends on the size and style of the meter to how much or little the meter will move.
On 3/4" and 1" I give about a min. On bigger meters I try to have the water shut off for a longer period of time.

I guess I feel if the meter didn't register anything after a certain amount of time the leak isn't worth the fix (especially if you can't find it) until it got bigger. Unless of course there is a seeping valve and you can see water at the last head. I Don't know if I have come across that situation though and not see the meter move.

Tom Tom
03-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Many possibilities, call a Pro

Mike Leary
03-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I Don't know if I have come across that situation though and not see the meter move.

Low drainage will not cause the spinner to move, but it sure as hell can waste a ton of water!

Kiril
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Low drainage will not cause the spinner to move, but it sure as hell can waste a ton of water!

Second that ..... SAM

kcrossley
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Many possibilities, call a Pro

I agree. My irrigation company is going to check it when they restart the system this spring.