PDA

View Full Version : How to price bush trimming

DRBLawnBuster
03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
How do you guys price for bush,and shrub cleaning. Like do you charge so much per bush or by the hour?

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-16-2009, 08:12 AM
it's sooo subjective, I do an estimate on how long it will take and use an hourly rate to quote a price.

White Gardens
03-16-2009, 02:27 PM
45 an hour, plus hauling fees.

Whitey4
03-16-2009, 07:50 PM
My customers want an up front price. I have to estimate the time and removal costs. The last thing I will ever do is quote anything based on actual time with an hourly rate. The last thing I want is to have a customer watching me work, and deciding whether or not I am working fast enough.

Pruning can be very hard work on large hedges. Sometimes, you just need to put the trimmer down and take a break. I will be the judge on whether or not I'm going fast or efficiently enough. The customer has his price, I do my job, he stays out of my hair. If my estimate was lousy, my fault.

MileHigh
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
How do you guys price for bush,and shrub cleaning. Like do you charge so much per bush or by the hour?

The only thing I price per "bush" are ornamental grasses.

Otherwise I do what others are saying and estimate how long it's going to take, discreminate the customer, and make a price.

ponyboy
03-16-2009, 09:24 PM
by the man hour espically if you send workers customers always ask for more than the normal

Florida Gardener
03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
figure out how long you think it will take an do no less than $45/hour. trimmin hedges is a pita and dont short yourself. Add a little extra time on just in case. NEVER tell a customer a per hour rate. Some will scoff or maybe even pass out if they find out your making $50/hour to trim hedges. We know it is what we should make, but some people think it is highway robbery.

tmc8524
03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
I estimate by the hour, but don't tell the customer that's what you are doing. Just use it as a tool. I usually do $40 an hour by myself, $50 or so if I have help but youve got to remember if you have help you will get done faster, so don't short change yourself

RLS24
03-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I usually do between $45 and $50 and hour. If they are Indian/Middle Eastern then its $100 an hour because I know I'll be there twice as long while they nitpick everything I do.

jaybow
03-17-2009, 10:09 AM

I like to charge $5 a bush and if I have to use a step ladder $10 a bush. But You may go a tad bit cheaper if there is allot of them. Also for the ones you have to get a latter for may be a little more than $10 depending how big around and how tall.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
If they are Indian/Middle Eastern then its $100 an hour because I know I'll be there twice as long while they nitpick everything I do.

HAHAHA...Laughed so hard on this one, my stomach hurts....!!! that's awesome....:usflag:

jsw2008
03-17-2009, 11:01 AM
I estimate on an hourly basis. I never been able to get people to go for a "per shrub" charge. I know it should be the same thing, but for some reason customers don't seem to like it. I guess because the shrubs can be so many different sizes and they don't want to pay the same price for a little dwarf shrub that they pay for a big boxwood type shrub.

jaybow
03-18-2009, 09:39 AM
I estimate on an hourly basis. I never been able to get people to go for a "per shrub" charge. I know it should be the same thing, but for some reason customers don't seem to like it. I guess because the shrubs can be so many different sizes and they don't want to pay the same price for a little dwarf shrub that they pay for a big boxwood type shrub.

I dont tell them how I am pricing it I just tell them the price.

jsw2008
03-18-2009, 01:19 PM
I dont tell them how I am pricing it I just tell them the price.

That makes sense. I wasn't thinking about that when I typed.

IntegrityGuy
03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
5 bucks for a small bush

15 for a larger bush

or more for a really big bush

JNyz
03-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I estimate by the hour, but don't tell the customer that's what you are doing. Just use it as a tool. I usually do $40 an hour by myself, $50 or so if I have help but youve got to remember if you have help you will get done faster, so don't short change yourself

If you are charging 40.00 per hour for one man, why don't you charge 80.00 for two??????????????:hammerhead:

This is something I hear a lot on this board and I do not understand it. Let's say the job takes 4 hours with 1 man, for a total of 160.00. Now with two men you get it done in two hours, for a total of 100.00. You are leaving 60.00 on the table. This industry has some of the most foolish people.

ponyboy
03-18-2009, 08:53 PM
that is why it should be based upon MAN hours each man gets billed the same.

tmc8524
03-18-2009, 10:58 PM
with 2 people it doesn't always go twice as quick, plus I know wich customers are willling to pay anything and which ones are tight. I always make a minimum charge also, so that if it takes 30min. i still charge for a full hours worth. Main thing is knowing who will pay and not complain and who will be reluctant. Just so long as I am bringing in at least $40hr I am satisfied and by not raping my customers on price they keep using me and refer me to the next person!

STIHL GUY
03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
i charge by the hour for bush trimming

ExtExc
03-18-2009, 11:48 PM
i will agree with tmc on that one point, sometimes having a 2nd guy doesnt make it go twice as quick, based on the equipment and the task at hand, and your assistants exp. i usually plan it only being 1.5 times quicker. i would still bid it at the hourly rate per man though.

jaybow
03-18-2009, 11:52 PM
i charge by the hour for bush trimming

If you charge by the hour then I guess you cant give a price before you do th job. Because I know you cant always look at a job and tell how long its going to take.

ExtExc
03-19-2009, 12:10 AM
If you charge by the hour then I guess you cant give a price before you do th job. Because I know you cant always look at a job and tell how long its going to take.

why not? if you are at the property looking at it, i usually go, ok, 5 minutes here, 5 there, 10 here, 10 there, 15 over there and 15 there and 30 clean up. 1.5 hours, round up a half hour for "just in case" and bid 2 hours. add in disposal fees and sales tax. done.

openbook
03-19-2009, 01:45 AM
why not? if you are at the property looking at it, i usually go, ok, 5 minutes here, 5 there, 10 here, 10 there, 15 over there and 15 there and 30 clean up. 1.5 hours, round up a half hour for "just in case" and bid 2 hours. add in disposal fees and sales tax. done.

What about your driving time to the property and to the dump? I am thinking my bottom line would need to be 25-30 bucks an hour but would also add a half hour driving to the customer and an hour to the dump and back.

jaybow
03-19-2009, 07:22 AM

Whatever works best for you, but i've had jobs where there was so many shrubs your head would spin just to try and count them.With big jobs that take all day or possibly longer you will have to factor in a lunch break and things of that sort. But there is not alot of jobs that big. I have one customer that I usually get around $175 for her shrubs and she wants them kept perfect, done three times a year.I think its around 30 shrubs with that job

Florida Gardener
03-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Everything needs to be factored in. Amount of time, are the hedges waaayyy overgrown or not, do you need a ladder for any of them, cleanup, dump time/fees,etc. Trimming hedges is a pita and takes decent time and precision to do it right. Don't ever shortchange yourself when it comes to doing them.