PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor??????

4curbappeal
03-15-2009, 11:25 AM
I'm looking for an air compressor for my shop(my small 2 car garage!) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
I would like to use it to take off/put on blades as well as a few other small air tools. What size do I need? I would like to get one that is smaller, but will still handle a impact wrench. I also would like to get opinions on the ones that hang on the wall. Space is somewhat of an issue. Thank you!

joshco84
03-15-2009, 11:31 AM
craftsman did have one like mine on sale.

I like you have a small garage (mine is actually a one car at the moment) and needed a compressor that could handle air tools, but not take up to much room. I got a 33 gallon vertical (they have the same model in a horizontal if you like them better) and it has been great. Bought it last year with my refund, and i saw they had them on sale the other day.

It also came with a kit that had a half inch impact, 3/8 air ratchet, and an air chisel. Plus it came with 25 feet of hose. Its a great deal for around 250 or three hundred, dont remember exactly.

DillonsLawnCare
03-15-2009, 11:34 AM
I've got a 5 gallon air compressor that i use in my 2 car garage, and i've used it to service my mowers over the years and add air to car tires...and so on...

It handles the impact wrenches pretty well. I would suggest getting no less than a 5 gallon compressor.

The more the merrier!!!!

joshco84
03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
If im not mistaken, this is what i purchased, and it was on sale for around 250 or 300 i believe. If your patient wait for it to go on sale again. Craftsman has sales a lot, so you might luck out.

joshco84
03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917662000P?vName=Tools&cName=Compressors+%26+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors+%26+Inflators#desc

ALC-GregH
03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
That compressor should work just fine for what you need. It's probably loud though. I helped a friend wire a large compressor he bought at Sams club. A big single phase unit. It's in a 50x100 shop with no insulation. I figured it would be extremely loud but to my surprise it was very quiet! Heck, my little piece of junk compressor I have is WAY louder.

joshco84
03-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes big compressors are actually quieter than those little ones.

CLARK LAWN
03-15-2009, 01:04 PM
mine is a 5hp witha 20 gallon tank. i think with the small 5 gallon tank it will alway be running and u would have to wait for it to catch up all the time.

dwost
03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
craftsman did have one like mine on sale.

I like you have a small garage (mine is actually a one car at the moment) and needed a compressor that could handle air tools, but not take up to much room. I got a 33 gallon vertical (they have the same model in a horizontal if you like them better) and it has been great. Bought it last year with my refund, and i saw they had them on sale the other day.

It also came with a kit that had a half inch impact, 3/8 air ratchet, and an air chisel. Plus it came with 25 feet of hose. Its a great deal for around 250 or three hundred, dont remember exactly.

This is the one I've had for about 6 years. Works great and has been through many car mods, blade changes and full basement remodel and never hiccupped. While this will work fine, if I were doing it again i'd get one that has a belt driven (oil) motor for longevity. Mine doesn't and has worked fine but I'd suggest if you are going to be using it regularly spend a bit more and get one that is serviceable. Once the compressor motor goes in the self contained units its shot.

topsites
03-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Northern Hydraulics might be a good place to check.
Harbor Freight Tools also carries a selection.

Runner
03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
If you purchase one, do yourself a favor and atleast go with a piston type, not an invector type. An invector (oilless) is one that runs with a diaphragm rather than a piston. These generally don't put out as much cfm and are much louder (they buzz like the on demand compressors). They are REAL loud in a garage. The oiled piston type compressors run much quieter and smoother, and put out more due to the longer stroke. When I purchased my compressor, I did some good research and was surprised when educated on these things. At that time, I learned who made all the compressors that were sold in stores under different names.
Don't go necessarily by the horsepower...what you want to look at is the cfm it produces.
When i was shopping, I narrowed it down to a Campbell Hausfield, Ingersoll rand, Hobart, and Puma. I also looked at the Husky over at Home Depot (excellent little compressor), and found out low and behold, the Husky is actually a Campbell Hausfield. They has a sale on them, and i was just ready to purchase, but decided to take a ride over to Lowes just out of curiosity to see what they had as a comparison model. I'm glad I did. the Kobalt that is sold over at Lowes was a slightly higher output (cfm) and had a slightly larger capacity tank. That was te one I bought - later to find out that it was built by Porter Cable, I believe. That compressor unfortunately is no longer available (atleast from their website). They went to a cheaper diaphragm (invector) type. The Husky from Home Depot is still available with the Piston pump though, and I've heard and read alot of good things about this unit. Here are some pages that may help you. the first, from Lowes website, is a bit educational on the different types. the second, is the link to the Husky at HD. I think it may be cheaper in the store, though.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=BuyGuide/ChsAirCompressor.html&rn=RightNavFiles/

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100063473&N=10000003+90401+524403

jdhardcab
03-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I bought a 2hp Clarke, 4 gallon pancake air compressor a couple of months ago that I am very happy with. At $99, I think it's a tremendous value for the money. It's pretty quiet, has a very good 5 CFM for it's size and is not oil less. I shopped around and could not find anything close at this price point. If you want the best and are willing to pay top dollar, then go with a Thomas compressor. I got the Clarke at the Tractor Supply. Here's a link. http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_44230_-1______14151%7C14152%7C14169%7C44230?listingPage=true&Special=false

Columbia Care
03-15-2009, 09:17 PM
I got a 20 gallon, 2 Hp compressor from Lowes for around $200. Unit came as a 110 volt, but I had an electrician switch 2 wires on the motor to turn it into a 220 volt. My understanding is this improves the life of the motor. I run all types of air tools with this unit (impact wrench, air rachet, etc). I can even run a cup gun to paint equipment with.

Cuttinitclose
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Craftsman 17 Gal. vertical is what I use. Oilless but it is loud. Runs alot of tools.

ArTurf
03-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I used a 4 gallon Craftsman for a few years and it did the job but it quit on me this year so I decided to go 1st class and bought a Makita MAC5200 which is 5 gallon, 3hp, 6.5 CFM. It is a far superior piece of equipment. Paid 329 from tylertool.com. I get the feeling this will last me a lot longer and I appreciate it everytime I use it. Guess you get what you pay for.