PDA

View Full Version : greaser

scorpioxx
03-15-2009, 12:44 PM
how often should i grease my bearins on my trailer?

ALC-GregH
03-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Do you have "bearing buddies" on the hubs? If so, a single pump once every month or so should be fine. If they have dust caps, maybe once a year depending on how much drive time you put on them.

topsites
03-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Do you have "bearing buddies" on the hubs? If so, a single pump once every month or so should be fine. If they have dust caps, maybe once a year depending on how much drive time you put on them.

I think it's supposed to be the other way around...
Yes, dust caps once / month, bearing buddies once a year.
That's what I have, grease them about once every year, in 7 years not a problem.
Get bearing buddies, they'll save you tons of time.

Makes ya kinda wish they made these for cars :p

kaferhaus
03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
once a year is plenty. We've had both kinds (all have bearing buddies now).

In over 20yrs I've never had a trailer bearing go bad and we have 5 trailers.

What causes most trailer bearing failures is actually lack of use, the grease solidifies over time and the bearings get no lube.

I've bought used trailers that had sat around for most of the year for several years and as soon as I got them to the shop I'd pull the wheels off. Most of the time the grease was in "chunks" or was nearly dried out.

ALC-GregH
03-15-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm not to sure on that. The buddies are made to make it easy to grease the bearings. Why would you pull the wheels and hubs off to grease them once a month? That's a little to often if ya ask me. They can easily go 10K without touching them as long as the grease is good in the first place. The buddies allow you to NOT have to dis assemble the hubs. Now if you have brakes on the trailer, then I'd dis assemble and clean them up and grease them. Heat will kill the good grease over time and get watery. I've done 1000's of brake jobs on autos to know that they don't need it as often as most think they do. Using a high end grease is a plus.

driver5
03-15-2009, 03:49 PM
is there a video anywhere on how to do this. I have the dust caps and Ive dropped my trailer off at the place where i bought it.. the guy charge me 50 per axle to do mine. Last year he replaced three bearings.. he said they were bad.

Id rather do it myself... but its one of those things. Ive never done it before.. but one time to show me is all i need.

thanks

ALC-GregH
03-15-2009, 04:02 PM
$50 an axle isn't a bad price at all.

Green Machine Mowing
03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
are we talking squirting grease into bearings, or packing them?? if someone charged you $50 to pump a few shots of grease into thoes bearings:hammerhead:

kaferhaus
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
I would assume that was for pulling them out, packing them and installing new seals. It's not a bad price either as even with a "bearing packer" tool it's a fairly nasty job.

Very easy to do though and just do a google search.... you'll get plenty of "how too" information.

And you can't just slap bearing buddies on and go unless the bearings have been repacked first to make sure there already good grease in there.

Also, grease is not "consumed" If it's disappearing then it's leaking out somewhere... and it's easy with bearing buddies to shoot too much grease into the hub and ruin the seal on the back side.

We used to just pull ours once a year and re-pack them. Even then they never looked like they really needed it because the seals were still good and the grease always looked fine.

Never had to replace a trailer bearing in over 20yrs...

driver5
03-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the replies.... I did some searching and youtube had a lot of videos and i surfed around thru other sites that sell replacement parts.

now for the dumb question.

how do i find out what size the replacement seals and races and bearings would be for my trailer?

pinto n mwr
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the replies.... I did some searching and youtube had a lot of videos and i surfed around thru other sites that sell replacement parts.

now for the dumb question.

how do i find out what size the replacement seals and races and bearings would be for my trailer?

bring whatever you took out to your local auto parts store and they should have what your looking for. Trailer seals and bearing are pretty common with common sizes. You may be able to get a number of the seals, or for sure off the bearings

driver5
03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
ok. I will give that a try

Littleriver1
03-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Seals and bearings have numbers on them. Take the hub or brake drum with the parts still in them when you go to the parts store in case they need to measure them or need to order them. IF YOU DROP THE BEARING ON A HARD FLOOR IT'S TOAST. Just because you change the inside seal doesn't mean you need to replace the bearing. Bearing packers are nice. You can buy something at the parts store that comes with grease in it that you put the bearing in and squeeze it to pack them. Never done that but seen it done. Don't know what they call it but it's cool. If the guys at the parts store don't know what your talking about check other stores. NAPA would be my choice. If you've never done this before don't let it scare you, you can't screw up all that much.

Jason Rose
03-16-2009, 09:28 AM
I too have never had a bearing "go bad" on my trailers. Last year I replaced them all, with the races, just because they were getting old and had a ton of miles on them. They all mostly still looked new.

For packing them when new, I do it the old fashioned way, with the grease in the palm of my hand and working it into the bearing from the sides with the other hand. Friend of mine has one of those bearing packers. I re-grease my hubs/bearings at least once a season, and it's good to also snug up the bearing nut that often. When I re-grease the bearings all I do is add grease in the void between the inner and outer bearing, I use a needle tool on my grease gun and fill that area up mostly full with grease and then put the outer bearing back on.

I think the main thing is getting the nut back on properly, and whatever retainer it has to keep it from backing off. I've always been told/shown to tighten that nut as much as you can, spin the wheel, check it for tight. Once satisfied that it's as snug as it can be, back it off a little. Like 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. This allows for expansion of the steel as they get hot, if you leave it too tight they will create too much heat and possibly seize up.

driver5
03-16-2009, 01:34 PM
I spoke with my mechanic buddy here at work and he specifically told me not to use bearing buddies with trailer brakes. He says that the inner bearings will leak and cause big problems.

He also told me to tighten the bearing nut up snugly, so that the wheel doesn't move. then back the nut off to where it spins freely on the spindle. Then spin the nut so that it tightens up itself.. and that is all that it needs.

I'm lucky to have a bearing shop near the firehall here. So next shift when i take them off, I can bring them to the shop to have them fitted for new seals and possibly new bearings.

Thanks for every ones post. keep em coming.