PDA

View Full Version : For the Hard Core installers

tadpole
03-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Was just awarded the contract to restore an earthen bottom pond that is at the entrance to a prominent medical facility that at present--

1.Is fed by an artisian well that is run 24 hours. Overflow goes into storm sewer.
2, Has 2 surface fountains.
3. Has 2 (what I call wiggle worms) bottom water outlets that swing back and forth to keep the bottom stirred up.
4. Was recently (2-3 years ago) dredged. Or should I say overdredged. it does not have a silt/mud/Benthic layer.
5. Has no plant life.
6. Will not even support algae growth
7. Has a dissolved oxygen level of 4.0, Alkalinity of 10, pH of 6.3, no Ammonia, no Nitrites, a smattering of nitrates.
8. Thousands of mosquito fish.
9. A small army of various turtles.

At one time this Pond was a showcase with huge Koi abd wonderful aquatic growth. Hurricane Ivan in '04 did a lot of damage so the owners thought to clean it up. They were evidently set upon by every Snake Oil salesman in the country.

I have developed, what I feel is, a solid plan of remedial action. I will post the details later. For now, I would like to see how you guys would approach this project.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-15-2009, 03:04 PM
how big is the pond?

tadpole
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Irregular 81' x 98' x 2'? average depth. Probably 6' at deepest point. Should have put this is first post. Sorry.

Fishwhiz
06-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Tad

That's very interesting water chemistry given your proximity to the gulf. I am assuming the project is in Pensacola. Although it shouldn't be all that surprising since you did say it was artesian.

I'd like to see these wiggle worm drains you are talking about. I haven't heard of them. Between them and the fountains it sounds like the pond is continuously dredging itself.

I'd like to hear more about this situation. What is the flow rate from the well? Does the well water chemistry vary from the pond's? Any pictures around? It sounds like a fun project.