PDA

View Full Version : Dumb ?'s About My New Enclosed Trailer

Whitey4
03-15-2009, 04:49 PM
I just put a deposit on a Wells Cargo Road Force RF6101 6X10 enclosed trailer. As soon as my new truck gets in (on order, F150) I will go get the trailer. My S10 long bed can't tow this thing.

This is my first enclosed trailer. Rear ramp, side door. 1/4" ply interior walls. Not very thick. Just how much room is there between the wood and the aluminum skin? How long should the screws for interior racks be? Should I add extra wood in the areas I want to mount racks on?

Should I shop for racks or make something myself? I'm not worried about anti-theft security since the trailer is enclosed, but I don't want my weed whacker flying off the rack either. If it's best to buy racks, which manufacturer would you suggest? I want my gear to be held securely, but want the equipment hung so I can access them quickly without fussing around too much.

I'm concerned that the 1/4" ply won't hold very well. Seems like screws would eventually just rip out. I'm thinking I should add some 1X4 solid wood on top of the 1/4" ply and screw it in with a boatload of screws, and then mount racks on the 1X4's.

Any and all suggestions MOST welcomed!

PS: I just realized this is probably the wrong forum... sorry mods.

ALC-GregH
03-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I thought they used 1x3's behind the sheets. I could be wrong.

PLS-Tx
03-15-2009, 05:06 PM
We use Trimmer Trap racks in our enclosed trailer, and they have worked very well for about 3 years.

For the blowers, we just use some hooks that we picked up at Home Depot. We use the same hook for the air tank, and a different type of hook for the ladder.

Get self tapping screws, and go into the wall studs.

You will enjoy your trailer, and you went a great brand. We have a Pace, and it's doing good, but if I did it over I might get Well Cargo.

We also put shelves in the front, and they work great.

As far as the Trimmer and blowers, we keep the ones we are using that day on the floor, eazy reach from the side door. This way you don't need to always step in and out of the trailer.

Something else we did was used 2x4's on the floor. We used some of them to hold the gas cans in place, and some in front and behind the rear tires of the ztr's keeps them from moving at all. Also, the 2x4 for the mowers, we always know where to the stop them, we never need to move them to make room for something else.

That's all I can think of, I'm sure other guys have some better ways of doing things, but all this works for us.

Hope this helps. :)

ambersLawnmowing
03-15-2009, 06:56 PM
They make the bolts for this type of thing. They have a wing nut "thing" that folds and slips through the hole and then once itis in there the arms fold out and allows you to bolt things in. I wouldnt use a drywall screw or anything like that. That is the cheap way, If you do it right then yes put in more studs.

PLS-Tx
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
They make the bolts for this type of thing. They have a wing nut "thing" that folds and slips through the hole and then once itis in there the arms fold out and allows you to bolt things in. I wouldnt use a drywall screw or anything like that. That is the cheap way, If you do it right then yes put in more studs.

Why would you want/need to put in more studs? :confused:

ambersLawnmowing
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Why would you want/need to put in more studs? :confused:

I didnt mean studs. I meant like a backer board, style thing. Figure out where your monting things and mark it, Then put a peice of wood behind that and screw through the plywood and the backer board. Or put up thicker plywood.

ed2hess
03-15-2009, 08:33 PM
If you want to do it like the trailer companies that outfit them.....then go to Northerntool.com and type in "E-track". This is a track that you put all along the trailer both sides and it is screwed into the metal frames. Then they have this device tha fits into the track. Local weld shop can make you whatever device to hold things. They use a deer horn configuration to hold trimmers. Sorry I am not a photo guy but maybe someone else might have a custom outfitted trailer made especially for lawn companies. Lot of those companies in south.

PLS-Tx
03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I didnt mean studs. I meant like a backer board, style thing. Figure out where your monting things and mark it, Then put a peice of wood behind that and screw through the plywood and the backer board. Or put up thicker plywood.

O.k., but I wouldn't do it this way.

I think you would be better off going into the studs.

DuallyVette
03-15-2009, 11:59 PM
O.k., but I wouldn't do it this way.

I think you would be better off going into the studs.

Definately screw the racks into the "studs" Its usually just cheap hat bar on the light duty trailers. I just built shelves in mine (8.5 x 20's) I would also screw some 3/4 inch plywood around the bottom, so a mower doesn't poke a hole through the skin.

Magnum Services
03-16-2009, 01:18 AM
I used 1 1/2 long self tapping metal screws on my enclosed trailer for mounting the equipment racks and NONE came through to the outside! You will love your trailer for it gives great security because if no one can see in it then there is less chance someone will try to steal from it!:drinkup:

DuallyVette
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
1.5 inch long screws may be too long on some trailers. Measure twice, and drill once.

PLS-Tx
03-16-2009, 10:53 AM
1.5 inch long screws may be too long on some trailers. Measure twice, and drill once.

Very good advice!

You don't want even one screw coming through.

If you are not sure what length to get for YOUR trailer, have someone that you have confidence in, look at it with you. Maybe the place you bought it from. :)

Whitey4
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I definetley will add some 1/2" ply around the bottom of the side walls to prevent damage from mishaps.

I think I might use some of the 1/2" ply in places on the side walls, and I'll screw them into the aluminum studs under the original 1/4" ply. Then I could mount whatever I wanted onto the now 3/4" thick plywood with wood screws.

Shelves on the front wall sound like a good idea too. I think I will just build a "box" under the shelves for my smaller durable hand tools, like shovels and bed rakes.

My route is tight, no highways and I even rarely go over 40MPH. Mostly side streets. After I started this thread, in the wrong forum to boot, I did a search and got some other good ideas from this forum as well. I will likely make home made racks. There are some good pics of home made racks here. 2X4's on the floor should suite my needs for my 32" WB, as I have mostly small gated properties.

Thanks again.

PLS-Tx
03-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the replies. I definetley will add some 1/2" ply around the bottom of the side walls to prevent damage from mishaps.

I think I might use some of the 1/2" ply in places on the side walls, and I'll screw them into the aluminum studs under the original 1/4" ply. Then I could mount whatever I wanted onto the now 3/4" thick plywood with wood screws.

Shelves on the front wall sound like a good idea too. I think I will just build a "box" under the shelves for my smaller durable hand tools, like shovels and bed rakes.

My route is tight, no highways and I even rarely go over 40MPH. Mostly side streets. After I started this thread, in the wrong forum to boot, I did a search and got some other good ideas from this forum as well. I will likely make home made racks. There are some good pics of home made racks here. 2X4's on the floor should suite my needs for my 32" WB, as I have mostly small gated properties.

Thanks again.

Hope you enjoy your trailer, and don't forget the biggest plus of having an elcosed, if you need to go, you have a place to go. No more going in the bushes. :waving:

Whitey4
03-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Hope you enjoy your trailer, and don't forget the biggest plus of having an elcosed, if you need to go, you have a place to go. No more going in the bushes. :waving:

LMAO! I hadn't thought of that. I have places on my route to take a leak privately, but I have Crohn's disease. That means frequent emergencies, of the #2 type, a couple a week at least. This brings a whole new dimenson to the idea of a porta-potty. There have been times I left all my equipment out and bolted home for just such an emergency. I better start saving spackle buckets. :laugh:

STLTurfmanagement
02-04-2014, 12:23 AM
On my enclosed, the metal frame that I mounted things on were slightly off from the roof frame if that makes sense. I think I found out it was about 2 inches from the backer board to the outer metal of the trailer. Once we found the first one though they were evenly distributed. I just use regular hooks for the backpacks, and I use a jungle jims weed eater rack inside. Also I built a shelf in the front. my enclosed is only a 6x12 and we only use it for the city.

I have a photo on the thread "New Toro Commercial 21s" of my enclosed if you want to see our setup i can pm it to you