PDA

View Full Version : Gaining commercial accounts and foreclosed properties. Need help..

DillonsLawnCare
03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
This is going to be my 4th year in the business. I'm only 16 years old, but I would like to get my hands on some small commercial accounts. I'm not worried about signing contracts. I'll just get my parents to sign.

1st
How do I get commercial properties? Where do I look? Who do I call?

2nd
I know that since the economy is down, there are a lot of foreclosed properties that have been abandoned, and need desperate lawn/ landscaping needs. Who would i have to get in touch with in order to possibly mow some foreclosed properties? Would i call a realtor and give them my proposal? Who would settle up with me in the end? Call the county?>?

Thanks

-sorry for so many questions.

Green Machine Mowing
03-15-2009, 06:41 PM
youll hafta talk to who owns the properties................the banks :hammerhead:

MysticLandscape
03-15-2009, 07:04 PM
You might be outta luck on commericals. All the ones I deal with have deadlines of march 1st for bids. I am in MA and your in TN so you guys must already be kicking down there.

DillonsLawnCare
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
So what about foreclosed properties?

I'm pretty sure it's a bit more difficult than walking into a bank and asking to mow their foreclosed properties...

Any suggestions/ tips?

Lawn Pawn
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM

I'm pretty sure it's a bit more difficult than walking into a bank and asking to mow their foreclosed properties...

Any suggestions/ tips?

Not really...... I went to all the local ....lending institutions.... with a cover letter, cards etc, etc, shook hands with the guy in charge of that business, and left my information.

Did that last fall for snow... but my info does cover lawns as well. Never had a call! Only work ever got dealing with foreclosures was when a friend owned a realty franchise. In this town vacant properties may never have the snow cleared from walks... or the lawns cut for the entire year. Just the way it is here.

MileHigh
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM

Any suggestions/ tips?

I mowed a bunch of foreclosures last season...I made good money doing it.

The worksites were nasty though, and I took no little pride in the work I was doing...They wanted DETAILED pictures: pic of the house and address, then before, during, and after photos. You would then compress the files on your computer and send them via email....Somedays I would have to take over 150 pictures...I felt like a friggin photographer.

What you need to do to get these, is to find a "Property Preservation Company" in your area...they will have the connection to the bank...and In these times, have massive loads of work. A lot of the times them want you to be able to board windows, and to do inside property clean outs...I never did...just mowed.

It would be nice to cut out the middle man (preservation company) but I wouldn't know how to approach that.

MileHigh
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
oh yea..forgot to mention.

I worked for two different preservation companies.

They both wanted documentation of insurance...one required a 1mil policy, and the other company required 2 mil policy with workmans compensation insurance for anyone working on the properties including the business owners/subs.

DillonsLawnCare
03-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Alright, thanks for the info.

How well did they pay?

Is it worth getting into?

Thanks again!