PDA

View Full Version : new lawn service need advice on getting work

Field King
03-15-2009, 05:37 PM
I am new to the lawn care business, I bought a used 48' Ferris walk behind, I have weed eater and blower, I am looking for a trailer, I passed out 250 flyers that I made at home and got my 1st job the same day, a weekly mow and trim job, I would like tips on how other lawn care services get they're name out there and get calls?

LBLC_LCO
03-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Get licensed and insured. Then talk to friends, family, neighbors, pass out waaay more than 250 fliers, have some business cards made up, yard signs, truck signs, trailer signs etc etc...

And last but not least, use the search button....

ambersLawnmowing
03-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Yep, insurance, Lic. ect. is where you should be looking now. You might also want to try the local paper, Craigslist, Parade's, and just keep handing out flyers, business cards, ect. Best of luck to ya.

Field King
03-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Thank you, and keep the tips coming, I sealcoated driveways years ago and I discovered if I passed out about 1000 flyers my call rate was about 2%, I would get about 20 calls per thousand, I would also get almost 100% of those jobs I bid. I hope lawn care goes the same as I will be hammering the flyers this week!

ambersLawnmowing
03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
WOW, 20calls per thousand. I gave up on flyers last year. passed out 7-8000 of them and got 1 call from them... Now it is trade shows and local paper for me.

LBLC_LCO
03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
If your getting 100% of the jobs you bid, you may be bidding way to low.

Field King
03-15-2009, 07:38 PM
The 100% jobs I bid that i got was asphalt sealcoating over 13 years ago, I was double the price of the competition, they were around 5 cents a square foot and I was 10 to 12 cents a foot, I kept my truck spotless and I had a letter of reference attached to my flyers, most residential seal coaters were pretty rough looking to say the least! Now I am going to try lawn care and need all of your tips!

ed2hess
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I am alway amused that regardless of what the question is in this section the answers alway start with get insurance and licenses.

Field King
03-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I am alway amused that regardless of what the question is in this section the answers alway start with get insurance and licenses.

I noticed that, believe me I have done many things, tree service, sealcoating etc. Now I am trying lawncare and I have asked 4 different lawn care guys about insurance and none of them have it! I did have insurance in the tree service, it was about $1,000 a month 15 years ago!

Sweet Tater
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Get licensed and insured. Then talk to friends, family, neighbors, pass out waaay more than 250 fliers, have some business cards made up, yard signs, truck signs, trailer signs etc etc...

And last but not least, use the search button....

this is a good one, get that insurance. as for getting your name out there, tlk to everyone you see where ever you see them, hand out biz cards. word of mouth is your best advertisment even if it your mouth spreading the word

MileHigh
03-16-2009, 12:20 AM

:laugh:It's like "How do I stripe"?....

Get licensed and insured.

brianslawncare
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
FIELD KING
why did you get out of the sealcoating business? im looking to add this to my business. we do 50 yards a week, and the last two years we sealed about 15 driveways for our customers. we are looking at ak2200 tote spraying system from asphalt kingdom. what do you thing of these? for advertising i use the local paper, i got to grocery stores and hang flyers with cards on them on their advertising boards. my sister has a hair salon there are a lot of older people there, so i put up a sign and i recieved a lot of business. get insurance you just never know. good luck

Field King
03-22-2009, 05:41 PM
FIELD KING
why did you get out of the sealcoating business? im looking to add this to my business. we do 50 yards a week, and the last two years we sealed about 15 driveways for our customers. we are looking at ak2200 tote spraying system from asphalt kingdom. what do you thing of these? for advertising i use the local paper, i got to grocery stores and hang flyers with cards on them on their advertising boards. my sister has a hair salon there are a lot of older people there, so i put up a sign and i recieved a lot of business. get insurance you just never know. good luck

Here is what I did, I passed out flyers and a small ad in the Major paper in Indianapolis, with my flyers I added another page of "a list of references" this list was people they could call or driveby and see my work! Believe me it helped get work! Also I have 1 other gimmick that saved me money and helped get work, pm me for that information!