PDA

View Full Version : what is the best type of blade to use for bagging??

mowerman41
03-15-2009, 07:38 PM
just curious what blades you guys think are the best for bagging grass????

DillonsLawnCare
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Although i have never bagged grass, I would probably say the gator blades.

MileHigh
03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
high lift.

gators are for mulching.

mowerbrad
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I use the gators all the time for bagging. I like them better than the standard high lift blades because the gators compact the grass into the bags better, that way I don't need to unload as often.

jsw2008
03-15-2009, 09:02 PM
I use gators to bag leaves in the fall. They pack the bags really tight. For grass, gators leave too many stragglers and I have to double cut. So I use the fusion high lifts that came on my mower for grass for bagging and side discharge.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I use a gator on the left and middle spindle, a high lift on the right. Have had good luck with this especially on oak leaves. The two gators will chew the leaves up and the right blade has enough lift to throw it into the ultra vac blower without stopping up.

Nick's Lawn Care
03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
I use a gator on the left and middle spindle, a high lift on the right. Have had good luck with this especially on oak leaves. The two gators will chew the leaves up and the right blade has enough lift to throw it into the ultra vac blower without stopping up.

Hmmm.. that sounds like it would be a great combo!!

P.Services
03-15-2009, 09:41 PM

bingo!! thats what i do also works great.

mdlwn1
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
"Although i have never bagged grass, I would probably say the gator blades"....Lol !

mdlwn1
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM

Just when you think its impossible to find an intelligent response on this site..........

DLAWNS
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM

That is a very interesting idea. I'll have to try that. To answer the question...I use gators for bagging as it chops everything up really well. I'm not a big fan of gators for cutting but I love them for bagging.

topsites
03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Just when you think its impossible to find an intelligent response on this site..........

Oh yeah well on my mower I have double gator interspersed high lifts over the left via the center right cross-kompressor,
but then I run over it again with the centriperal setup machine that has firtheens at the diametric superimposition over a
quaddrajet valvula entryway, and that usually gets the job done.

Yeah...

Roger
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
I have a 36" w/b and a 48" ZTR. I have high-lift and Gators for both (standard version, and high-lift version for the w/b). From my experience:

36" w/b: The standard Gator has no little lift, there is not enough discharge force to put the clippings in the bag. The high-lift Gators are better, but not as effective as the high-lift blades. Further, the high-lift blades do a better job of cutting, leaving a smoother cut (no stringers). However, in heavy growth (Apr, May, Jun), the last thing I want is finer clippings a Gator blade might produce. I already have enough mush, green wads, etc, without trying to make finer clippings. Therefore, I NEVER use Gator blades for grass, only for leaves in the Fall.

48" ZTR: Gators don't have as much discharge force. In discharge mode, the clipping dispersal is not very good. The high-lift blades do a better job of leaving an even layer of clippings. I do very little bagging with this machine (with a GrassPacker, hang-on bagger). But, when I do, it is only with the high-lifts -- just not enough discharge force to do a good job bagging. Again, the same is true for quality of cut -- high-lift blades do a better job of cutting than do the Gators. So, the Gators are used only for leaf work in the Fall, nearly all mulching, with a rare bagging task.

It is obvious that Gators work differently, depending upon the kind of grass, moisture content, and location. For me, when bagging, the last thing I want is finer clippings -- cut the blade off, push it out the chute into the bag with the least extra cuts. The clippings are just too moisture-laden under heavy growth conditions.