PDA

View Full Version : Flyer same area more than once?

Leaves of Grass
03-15-2009, 07:12 PM
First off, let me say that I have been looking over this site the last two months and have found more useful information that I could hope for. This is my 5th year in the lawn care business, but my first year with my own company. Starting small and still working another job full time. My question is does anyone flyer the same houses more than once in the same season. I have already done my "first round" of flyers and was planning on doing two more. One this week and one around the first week of April. By then the mowing season will be in full swing. Thanks in advance for the advice.

ed2hess
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Do them every month.....just like Scotts and the "mowit" companies. Timing doesn't have to be so perfect that way.

mow2nd
03-15-2009, 09:20 PM
yea we cycle around about every other month.

Smitty58
03-15-2009, 09:38 PM
One of my guys had a good idea while we were out doing doorhangers. He suggested holding back a couple hundred dh'ers and when we do get a new customers the day we cut maybe hit the neighbors again with another doorhanger. I like that idea, then they see your trailer in their area and the doorhanger might make a better connection. I think I'll give it a try. Other than that I did consider hitting the better areas a 2nd or 3rd time with the same doorhanger. Good luck with it.

Proc's Lawncare
03-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree as well. It takes like 3X before an advertisement is said to really work, so the more you can put your name in front of your potential customer the better chance of success you will have in getting them. ALWAYS advertise, door hangers, fliers, smoke signals.... do what you have to do so people learn your name and services offered.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I, too, say hit them again. That way you are continuously targeting those prime areas you work in. I've pursued the same 600 home neighborhood here for years, and now about 2/3 of all my work is done in that tight knit community.

Density is crucial in this game. It lowers your costs, enables you to watch the yards, and builds serious name recognition and neighbor-envy.

BkServicesLLC18
03-16-2009, 08:44 PM
I had Just started hanging door hangers for the first time.... how much response do you tipacally see?

LBLC_LCO
03-16-2009, 08:51 PM
I think 1-2% is typical.

BkServicesLLC18
03-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Thats pretty low...looks like i have a lot of hangers to hang!

bohiaa
03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
With the SMALL return on hangers, and the high expense, I couldn't emigane anyone, doing it twice, and then a 3 rd time ?

door hangers proved to be a VERY poor way to advertise, it's VERY expensive only to reach 1 potenchal customer. a simple ad in the newspaper reaches "the circulation of that area" and it's there forever. flyers get tossed as soon as someone looks at it.
IF they look at it.

and how long does it take to reach 2000 customers. 1 day? 1/2 day ?
WOW 1/2 day I make 500.00
Why would someone use door hangers ?

spend a 1/2 day to get a 2% return? come on guys surely NOT ?

KrayzKajun
03-17-2009, 09:18 AM
i advertise in my chruch bullentin! goes out weekly. people read it during church. I support my church parish. ive gotten a pretty good return from it!

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-17-2009, 09:56 AM
With the SMALL return on hangers, and the high expense, I couldn't emigane anyone, doing it twice, and then a 3 rd time ?

Your experience isn't universal. I've advertised in every way but TV, and fliers, BAR NONE are more effective than anything I do.

Spending a Saturday this time of year, with nice weather, canvassing my prime neighborhoods gets the phone ringing off the hook for 2 weeks... I typically end up with a 1 in 40 success rate. Which means that one Saturday of fliers typically generates a dozen new customers.

As a solo operator, securing that many clients in the neighborhood I want, is FAR better than getting calls from all over, driving all over, leaving bids all over, and then picking up a few new accounts - strung all over the place.

bohiaa
03-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Your experience isn't universal. I've advertised in every way but TV, and fliers, BAR NONE are more effective than anything I do.

Spending a Saturday this time of year, with nice weather, canvassing my prime neighborhoods gets the phone ringing off the hook for 2 weeks... I typically end up with a 1 in 40 success rate. Which means that one Saturday of fliers typically generates a dozen new customers.

As a solo operator, securing that many clients in the neighborhood I want, is FAR better than getting calls from all over, driving all over, leaving bids all over, and then picking up a few new accounts - strung all over the place.

While this may be true for the solo guy, running a 2 man crew we keep our time at around 125 per hour. wiht this I could NOT see paying 2 guys to pass out flyers, while loosing this much money. Only to reach 1 customer per flyer.

Of corse it does depend on what your target is, to be honest I realy dont want any more homes, there is so little money there.

even a solo guy should have his time around 45 to 50 an hour, and for him to go door to door, he's NOT using his time wisely,
He's simply waisting his time and effort.

huskres
03-18-2009, 11:01 PM

door hangers proved to be a VERY poor way to advertise, it's VERY expensive only to reach 1 potenchal customer. a simple ad in the newspaper reaches "the circulation of that area" and it's there forever. flyers get tossed as soon as someone looks at it.
IF they look at it.

I put out 500 flyers last year and got about 15 lawns. I put an ad in the newspaper and got 3 calls that were chasing a lowballer. What works for you may not work for others.

Leaves of Grass
03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the input gentlemen. So far I'm at the cool 2% return.

mow2nd
03-19-2009, 06:27 AM
everybody does it different. So I don't think there is any wrong or right way as long as you are getting your name out.

dewos
03-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I put out 500 flyers last year and got about 15 lawns. I put an ad in the newspaper and got 3 calls that were chasing a lowballer. What works for you may not work for others.

I am with you I still use the paper but people that I get calls from there are looking for the lowest price wins. people that get my fliers they seem to only call me!.! When your the only price they here it seems to be the one that wins.

coqui landscaping
06-06-2009, 01:57 PM
i think when you are starting out, you have to try everything and you cant be too picky on whats the best advertising. you have to try it all, me when im not doing a house i am passing out flyers and going to doors simple as that!

WGLandscape
06-06-2009, 02:06 PM
i advertise in my chruch bullentin! goes out weekly. people read it during church. I support my church parish. ive gotten a pretty good return from it!

I like that idea, thanks.

Frantic Freddy
06-06-2009, 02:16 PM
I am just starting out as well. I was looking into purchasing some doorhangers. I found they were pretty expensive. One day, I was in Office Depot and decided to buy 110lb yellow paper. I came home and made me a (2 to a page) doorhanger that actually looks pretty professional. I spent that evening printing and cutting them out. It is time consuming but for a guy on a tight budget it is highly recommended. I have $13 in the paper and am yet to run out of ink but when I do I can replace all cartridges for $20.

THC
06-06-2009, 06:08 PM

IF they look at it.

For me the question is Why would someone deliver their own flyers? (I know why but..) It only costs me a dime to have a flyer printed and delivered.

As for Flyers vs Ads, I like flyers better. You can pick your areas, they are far more effective for Yard clean ups in the spring. I do both ads and flyers and it's like 10:1. But flyers in the middle of the summer get me nothing for lawns, in fact I barely get any lawns with flyers period. I get Power raking jobs, sometimes that gets me a weekly. Other then that it's referals and existing customers from other services.

I'd like to do what that bigW guy did and use unaddressed ad mail with a post card, but that is serious money (for me at least)

mowerdude777
06-06-2009, 09:10 PM
I put out 2 sets a year but I do not keep them the same each time

THC
06-06-2009, 10:19 PM
As far as doing the same area 3 times, there is a spraying co. here that does that. I've been keeping there flyers, they change a bit every year. But just like clock work, we get them 3 times a spring about 2-3 weeks apart. They have just as many lawn signs as the national chains so maybe it is a good idea.

JohnnyRocker
06-16-2009, 01:22 PM

SunState Lawn Care inc
06-16-2009, 04:00 PM

IF they look at it.

Around here news paper ads don't work. Plus one ad cost what 2000 door hangers does. I have ran ads in several papers here and even had 6000 flyers inserted in the paper with zero response to any of them I got one call from one of the ads but she wanted a free job. I am putting out door hangers now so we will see how they work. The guys are out putting 1000 of them out now. Hopefully they will provide results since nothing else has been. I am seeing so many new LCO's in our area it's not even funny Escalades and all pulling new trailers around,wonder how they are getting there work? I guess they are out knocking on doors this guy was in a gated community where no soliciting is allowed.

GreenAcresLandscaping
06-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I have but for diffrent things. I put one out advertising for everything, mowing, mulching, clean-ups, etc. Then i put out another for just mulch.

I spent about 5 hours handing out flyers last year and got about 2% return. This year i spent the same amount of time but went door to door through the same developments and got about a 8% return, but with bigger jobs. Last year i got a few mowing but mostly little things like weeding, trimming, etc. This year i got a $2400 stone job, a landscaping job around a new pool payup, about a dozen mulch jobs, and 5 mowing. I think people just want to see a face before they hire someone to do anything major.

JEC Lawn
06-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I do flyer more than once. I have had the best luck doing flyers on friday night. Homeowners are out working in there yard, then your flyer will give them more ideas

JohnnyCuts
06-18-2009, 09:12 PM
5000 4x6 one side color, back side black an white post cards cost $150 at GotPrint.com

Hire kids with scooters, bikes, etc to help pass them out. It's not hard at all to find plenty of help for $8-10 an hour.

In residential city area with 1/4 acre type lots figure on 100 per person per hour with bike/scooter. 60 on foot. If you don't hand out any yourself that costs you $500ish to pass out all 5000 flyers.

We generally get 1% to sign up for full season, and additional 1% for one time mows, small projects, etc. in the area that we CHOSE to market because we are already there and not a 15 minute drive away looking for an "estimate", lol.

Lets say you average 30 mows a year and you charge $30 per cut for a standard 1/4 acre city lot. $700ish dollars gets you 50 accounts and alot of other random work. $700 just grossed you 50k. Your acqusition cost is less than half of one cut and most of those customers are there next year and the year after that. It's the gift that keeps on givin Clark. If you are solo and pump the referalls and do good work ONE GOOD FLYER CAMPAIGN MAY BE ALL THE ADVERTISING YOU EVER NEED TO DO .... EVER!

How bout them apples...

STIHL GUY
06-18-2009, 09:18 PM
i have gotten most of my accounts by word of mouth. once i land a job in a neighborhood i usially get at least one of the neighbors. i get calls from my current customers family members wanting work done as well