PDA

View Full Version : driveway setback from retaining wall

ppl
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Looking for a rule of thumb for setback for a driveway from retaining wall. The wall block has not been chosen or engineered and gc does not want to engineer the wall. It is four foot height and 105 long with a setback of four feet. The live load of vehicles moving around is scary to me, I am looking not to make an expensive mistake. Looking for guidance

AllHardscaping
03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Driveways can be built right up to the retaining wall if everything is engineered and constructed properly. Check out NCMA for standards on the design and construction. You'll get details on how often to place geogrid etc...

I went through the NCMA certified segmental wall installer class. I learned a ton from it. I would recomend it to anyone installing walls whether their 2 feet high or 20.

ford550
03-16-2009, 08:17 AM
I went through the NCMA certified segmental wall installer class. I learned a ton from it. I would recomend it to anyone installing walls whether their 2 feet high or 20.

Absolutely. All of my guys are NCMA cert as well. It's easy to see why some of the walls look the way they do after you take this class.

rholt9
03-16-2009, 08:30 AM
If I remember correctly, it is recommended that the wall be 3ft back from vehicular traffic. But I agree with the others, get NCMA cert. and there is a wealth of info for applications such as this.

ppl
03-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Went to their site and did some looking around, found no spec. about this maybe I missed it. Everything that I read was general info. and they recommended to have the wall engineered. I will look again or even call them later.

btammo
03-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I dont think they tell you how to build a wall on their website. You gotta take the course to find that out.

ford550
03-18-2009, 08:08 AM
and they recommended to have the wall engineered

One of the townships here makes landscapers and even homeowners get a permit to put up any retaining wall over 12" and you have to have a design and you have to have it stamped by an engineer or no permit. Lots of fines if you don't. It is absolutely crazy. Another way for gov't to get our money.

Bru75
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
One of the townships here makes landscapers and even homeowners get a permit to put up any retaining wall over 12" and you have to have a design and you have to have it stamped by an engineer or no permit. Lots of fines if you don't. It is absolutely crazy. Another way for gov't to get our money.

12"????? They're NUTS!
Might not look good, but you could stack 12" of block on top of the ground and be ok!