PDA

View Full Version : Flat proof or air filled? ztr exmark

mainstreet1984
03-15-2009, 10:49 PM
I can't find the thread , so I am asking this question. On my exmark ztr 60" AS I have little (13-5-6) tiers and I don't like them. I wan to change them for 13-6.5-6 I already know that I have to change forks also. But sould I go for flat proof or air filled? How they do on grass? And shock absorbing wise? Thanks!

HulkXD
03-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I'd go with the flat proof if you mow places that are likely to have tire hazards, but the air filled would be more cushioned (obviously) and less likely to mess up anything else.

RGM
03-15-2009, 10:57 PM
I have a '99 lazar 60'' 23 hp I ran the stock air tires for 8 years few 2 new sets of tires and a lot of flats. I put the emark flat free tire on 2 years ago I will never go back to air tires.

kaferhaus
03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
We put slime in all four tires and never worry about flats.

newtostone
03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I couldn't even make it 40 hours on my air filled tires before I upgraded to solid. Its well worth the money in time spent.

mississippiturf
03-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Flat free, IMO, is the only way to go.

AmsoilPower
03-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Go w/ the Carlisle Reliance flat-proof tires. They are what come standard usually on Scags and now Kubota's I believe. They have a hollow inner core for more flex and give as compared to solid tires. You press them on to your existing rim.

I sold several this year to local guys.

mowin at the lake
03-16-2009, 04:01 AM
this goes back about 5 years ago but.... I used to buy j- thomas flat free tires
We had a couple DFS 60"ztr's

With the flat free tires there is "no give" We had 3-4 cracks in the frames from the ridgedness of the solid tires. I have pictures if some of the non-belivers on here need.
I know now they offer a softer tire that may help offset the problem we had.

kane

Grassmechanic
03-16-2009, 01:07 PM
this goes back about 5 years ago but.... I used to buy j- thomas flat free tires
We had a couple DFS 60"ztr's

With the flat free tires there is "no give" We had 3-4 cracks in the frames from the ridgedness of the solid tires. I have pictures if some of the non-belivers on here need.
I know now they offer a softer tire that may help offset the problem we had.

kane

Yep, the old style were a bit stiff. New style is nice. Can't tell the difference from an air filled (except the flats!).

zeroturner
03-16-2009, 01:18 PM
The only time I ever had a problem with air filled tires going flat was before I added slime to them. After the slime I have no more problems with flats.

guy48065
03-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I have a question for you guys that have already gone down this road. I have a Country Clipper ZT that uses 13x6.50x6 front tires and I want to replace them with flat-proof but can't find an exact match. The sticking point is I have 3/4" plain bearings instead of tapered. Can the tapered bearing seats be popped out of the new hubs & regular flanged bearings installed? The hubs on all the rims I've seen appear to be the same ID but I don't want to spend all that $$ to find out I'm wrong.

Trenchblade
03-23-2009, 04:51 PM
flat free for sure, but not the total solid ones, i think the marathons we use have a hallow core to allow for some give

guy48065
03-24-2009, 01:32 PM
I guess I'll just order them and find out for myself. I found a place I can get the Reliance flat-proof assemblies for $45 each, including bearings & seals. At least I got a good deal if I have to adapt them to fit my yokes.

MJB
05-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I guess I'll just order them and find out for myself. I found a place I can get the Reliance flat-proof assemblies for $45 each, including bearings & seals. At least I got a good deal if I have to adapt them to fit my yokes.

Tell us where you ordered them. I need a set too.

tacoma200
05-06-2009, 09:35 PM
The newer semi-pneumatic type tires (not solid) that come on Exmark, Scag, etc are really a great improvement. I won't go back to air filled even though they ride slightly better. But as others have said you can put slime in the air filled tires and you will probably not have a flat and it will ride a bit better if you keep the air pressure low (8-12 psi). Most of these newer semi-pneumatic type tires are hollow and have some give.

DennisF
05-06-2009, 10:02 PM
If you slime them and run them with 8 lbs of air pressure your flat problems will end. Very inexpensive solution to flats and you don't have to put up with a rough riding mower.

STIHL GUY
05-07-2009, 12:20 AM
i havnt gotten a flat yet knock on wood. i have air in the back and zero flat fot the caster tires

MJB
05-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I've been using slime for many years and really don't like it, if there is another option. My valve stems continuosly get plugged up and when I need to add a few pounds of air the valve core sticks and lets air out slowly which is a pain. The tire repair shops hate slime when it time to buy new tires. While it is a must for minimizing problems I like the idea of these new semi pneumatic flat free tires for the caster wheels. I find myself running more air in the caster wheels anyway to keep from gouging the turf when side hilling etc. So those would work fine.

guy48065
05-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Tell us where you ordered them. I need a set too.

http://advancedsupplydm.com/reliance-no-flat-tire.html

Paid $45 each + shipping. While they last--they're a special purchase, Reliance tires on orange rims and include the tapered bearings & spacers. I couldn't touch that even on no-name tires.

Turfcutters Plus
05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
i havnt gotten a flat yet knock on wood. i have air in the back and zero flat fot the caster tires

Ditto,but bearings already out in one of front castors.What the ?They are heavy.How do you tap out steel flange seal to get to bearing?:confused: