PDA

View Full Version : Turf Covers and Things You Don't Think Of

foreplease
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
This is my second year of using Evergreen Turf Covers on goal boxes for a high school soccer field. They were purchased and received around the end of February 2008. I put them down, carefully monitored the soil temperature, and picked them up a few times last spring with good results. We gained a few growing days and safely hardened the goals off before the first home game.

Part of the reason we decided to try them is that boys season can run almost to the end of mowing time in the fall with post-season play. Then winter sets in and there is not much turf recovery time before girls season begins in spring. Also, for fall, when this school hosts post-season play the plan is to actively manage the use of the covers between games to keep the goals growing as well as possible.

I removed the covers today because things are warming up. I didn't set these thigns out and forget them. I check the soil temperature often when practical. Things looked fine under the first one. When I picked the second one up though I had 20-25 live mice running around my boots. Bad sign.

The picture came into focus for me pretty quickly from there, unfortunately.

Alright, posted below are the obligatory "in progress" photos. Those are followed by how it looks now.

Anybody else have any experience with this? There is so much benefit to using the covers that I hope I can find a way to deal with the mice problem preventatively in the future.

pictures up next...

foreplease
03-15-2009, 10:52 PM
October 22: I cut the goal boxes 1/4" lower than the rest of the field and put the covers down. Next three photos are from November 19 when I removed the covers, put down a fungicide for snow mold, tooks some pictures and put the covers back down.

So far so good...

foreplease
03-15-2009, 10:58 PM
And today's surprise

turf hokie
03-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Perfect to oh crap in the blink of an eye, friggin rodents....

foreplease
03-16-2009, 07:37 PM
It is damn humbling, I can tell you that!