PDA

View Full Version : tell me what you think of this price for the season

brianslawncare
03-15-2009, 11:49 PM
im in scranton,pa and the local paper the landscapers started advertizing. most guys are the same best prices, quality work,etc. one low baller has that he, has a mowing special from april to october for 499.00 that includes, trimming and blowing!!!!! is he crazy?????? thats roughly 72.00 per month per house. even if its 6 months thats 83.16 per month. how can any one afford to run there machines and pay insurance?????? i have seened this guy around and he has commercial equiptment and a helper!!!! any idea what i should do about advertizing, is it worth 300.00 for one month for me???? or should i try something else? but what? thanks guys:hammerhead:

TomberLawn
03-16-2009, 12:04 AM
If it's small yards and cutting biweekly, he could come out ok with that. Up-sell some shrub trims and fert and he'll make some extra money. I've got some small yards that are about $35/cut every 2 weeks.

ctvalley
03-16-2009, 12:05 AM
First off spelling helps. A D V E R T I S I N G

My best guess is that this "special" is to draw interest only. Think about it this way. What if his special is for bi weekly mowing and not weekly? 499/14 mowings= 35.00 per mowing.
I offer 50% off springcleanups...they don't take long and I charge a "higher" [price since there is so much work to be had. However, my 50% off is only valid with a signed service agreement for weekly or biweekly lawn service and fall cleanup.
It gets phone calls in to the business. That's all this other guy is doing with his special

ambersLawnmowing
03-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Bi-Weekly was the first thought. And most just say that and then they sell you stuff you dont need. I would do bi-weekly for $35 if i could sell all the other stuff needed in the yard.

topsites
03-16-2009, 02:19 AM
Just follow your business plan.

fazzy815-66
03-16-2009, 09:00 AM
heck in the heat of summer he could be only cutting 1 a month! around here I can do a average size lawn in 15 min (yes they are small) I could make a profit at that price

ALC-GregH
03-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Just follow your business plan.

he probably doesn't have one......

topsites
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
he probably doesn't have one......

All right.
Then he should probably take some time out, and start working on one.

brianslawncare
03-21-2009, 11:17 AM
ok i do have a plan. and its triing to stay afloat. i see what you are telling me, but dont you think in the spring with all the wet conditions, that every two weeks it will take longer? its harder on equiptment, and takes more time! after i posted this the add has changed, its says mowing special!! maybe he is thinking twice? what kind of advertising do you guys do? is the flyers working or is the local papers better? thank you

ALC-GregH
03-21-2009, 11:42 AM
ok i do have a plan. and its triing to stay afloat. i see what you are telling me, but dont you think in the spring with all the wet conditions, that every two weeks it will take longer? its harder on equiptment, and takes more time! after i posted this the add has changed, its says mowing special!! maybe he is thinking twice? what kind of advertising do you guys do? is the flyers working or is the local papers better? thank you

LOL, how old are you? So your business plan is to "stay afloat"? Obviously you don't have a actual business plan drawn out to follow. If you did, chances are you wouldn't be asking if the way someone else is running their business is going to work. Every business out there runs differently. You can't build your business off what others are doing. In other words, you can't just say, it's working for them so that's how I'll do it.

brianslawncare
03-22-2009, 01:36 PM
im 38yrs old and everone in business is triing to stay afloat!!!!!! so in other words you never asked,how other landscapers were advertising and what worked for them???? maybe you dont belong on this site, because you are such a big business man that the site is to HELP others!!!!!

grasschopperofchicago
03-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I have to add this!---LOL!!

I would guess at 38 you would have the ability to spell correctly!

In Chicago we spell it TRYING, but I guess we are snobs!

And please don't bit#* about me calling you out on this!---because after all...

because you are such a big business man that the site is to HELP others!!!!!

just TRYING to help you with your spelling!:)

ambersLawnmowing
03-22-2009, 07:08 PM
im 38yrs old and everone in business is triing to stay afloat!!!!!! so in other words you never asked,how other landscapers were advertising and what worked for them???? maybe you dont belong on this site, because you are such a big business man that the site is to HELP others!!!!!

Wow, slow down there. You came on here and ASKED for our help figuring out if it was worth $300 to place an ad in the paper. I do beleive that it is your business, now you should be able to answer that yourself. If your "Just Stay afloat" then chances are you dont have the $300 to throw at a paper ad. I am a little younger then you but not by much and i am not trying to stay afloat, I am trying to grow, or make as much money as i can. If your just floating in business then your about to sink. Sinking means to much debt or prices arent high enough or not enough work basicly not making any money. Start with a business plan like someone said. If you have one and it doesnt seem to be working then redo it.

ponyboy
03-22-2009, 07:13 PM
hire him to do all your lawns and you keep the difference

david shumaker
03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
He may have some small print in his price. His price might start at $499.00 for a very small yard and go up for larger yards.

yardatwork
03-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey Brian...I work out of Indiana, PA and if your area is anything like mine, then he could do the $499.00/year deal. In town lawns might only take 10-15 minutes to mow and he could get away with charging $15/lawn/week...30 mows a season...it could work for him. If he got a few houses on one street, then his drive time is cut down and his overall hourly could be substantial. With a deal like that he could capitalize on bulk mowing.

As far as your $300/advertising...there aren't too many people reading the newspaper anymore. Spend that $300 towards t-shirts, jackets, hoodies, business card sized magnets, etc...wear your company shirts as often as you can...nice visual advertising and you'll probably reach a larger market. When you get a new client give them about three of those magnets. They will keep at least one and possibly hand the others out. No one throws fridge magnets away! I haven't done actual paper advertising in ten years and I have more business than I sometimes can keep up with. My business operates on word of mouth. Newspaper is too expensive and doesn't produce the numbers.

brianslawncare
03-23-2009, 09:39 AM
hey, yard at work. thanks for the tip i will try it! i not trying to fight here im just asking for some imput or help? for the 300 i put my ad in every year for two month total 600, and i get at least 75 calls. buy what im saying at the price he is advertising is it worth it for me to put a ad in? there is 12 other guys in the paper now and the guy with the 499 ad changed his ad to mowing special! spelling isnt my best feature, its work and im not a big business man i only have 50 yards per week! i am trying to grow,but its hard to compete with 499 deal!