PDA

View Full Version : John Deere sx..sb..se ? Transmission question.

neals55
03-16-2009, 01:48 AM
Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to read my post. I have a few questions, so thanks for your patience ahead of time.

So I recently receieved a used John Deere walk behind mower from my uncle, who is a retired John Deere sales rep. He built the mower for me. From what he told me, the mower is a mixture of the sx,sb,and se models. The deck is grey in color, it has steel wheels.... but I dont know how to determine what kind of engine it has? Any ideas?

My main question is about the transmission. The mower works great, but I cant seem to find 4th gear. 3rd gear is too slow, but 5th is way to fast. When I move the lever upward, it moves right past 4 without any movement whatsover. It is my guess that 4th was the most popular gear in the mowers earlier days, thus possibly being warn out. But, is there something I can do to fix the issue? Is my only option to get a whole new tranny? I would rather not get a new transmission, but the slow/fast thing is getting a little old.

Help!

mowin at the lake
03-16-2009, 02:53 AM
learn to walk faster

neals55
03-17-2009, 05:53 PM
OK, does anyone have any idea as to what I should do?

ed2hess
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
The transmission can be repaired but they are tricky....hard to tell which parts are really worn and hard to get it all back together. Not worth taking it to dealer for redo but a new one would be aroiund $200 not installed.