PDA

View Full Version : Chevy truck owners must read

Rodney Johns
03-16-2002, 06:51 PM
I am usually quiet about bad experiences with company because every one has an occaional lemon.
The new big Chevy V-8 gas engine should be avoided!!!!!!
Chevy will not recall these trucks but admits there is a major defect in the motors that cannot yet be corrected.
If you have one of these engines and it knocks take it to your dealer and complain.
I have had to contact the BBB (better business bureau)
Attorney generals office, my attorney, and district rep of Chevy in my area to even get a phone call. I have been treated as horribly as a customer can be treated from the dealership clear to the top of the company.
They do not want to admit that the pistons in the engine have problems to avoid recall issues.
My truck BURNED 2 QUARTS OF OIL PER DAY!
I still have not been able to get the dealership to purchase the truck back of give me some sort of remedy for my problems. 3 of 4 of my trucks are Chevys.
I have had the truck in the shop now for over 40 days in the 8 Months I have owned this 2001 pickup. I keep getting the lame excuse of Carbon build up.
If you are having knocking problems or engine defects of any sort complain to your dealer. and then complain again. If I can get one person not to purchase this engine and have to go through what I am dealing with right now.
They tell me yes we have a problem but we can't fix it and so on.
Also my air conditioner, hoist, heater, windshield wipers and fluid dispensor have also been worked on. The air conditioner has not worked on the truck since I drove it off the lot and still does not work.
I am hearing of similar night mare storys with the diesel which is why I bought the gas.
Next time I will just buy a Dodge.

Oh one last note. You know GM has an email support for customer service and I voiced all of my problems there to begin with. 2-3 pages maybe of what I had been through. I got a response that read somthing like "we have read your complaints are working hard to see that your issues are taken care of blah blah"
Amazingly enough when I typed in the word CHEESE in the text area I got exaclty the same response.
Sure they care..................

John DiMartino
03-16-2002, 07:51 PM
Rodney,good luck getting Gm to do anything,I couldnt get them to repaint my trucks that delaminated,and peeled up,dont feel bad.Do you have the 8100?,or 6000.I have heard from many that the 6000 is a knocker big time,but they havent had any longevity issues yet,so its just a nusance more than anything else.The oil burning issue is bad-2 quarts a day,well just stop adding oil for a week,let it seize up,at least you'll end up with a new engine out of it,or if its really burning 2 quarts a day,the truck is a gross polluter,and you should have recourse thru EPA,and thru emissions warrnty,GM has to repair it,or face federal fines from the EPA,so push this issue or contact the EPA yourself,since your truck is still under the emissions warranty.BTW I have only bought Dodge's since GM left me hanging,so far so good,but i do miss the road holding of the IFs a little,but the Cummins/Dana 60 more than makes up for it.

cat320
03-16-2002, 10:44 PM
I agree GM does not care!!!I have had a problem with every one of our GM cars and trucks,one was pain peeling,iol in the coolent recover tank,windown and doors leaking brakes that don't work and I could keep going on and on.If i had to buy a small diesel dump i would go ford with the less horse power verses buying Gm
:mad:

OBRYANMAINT
03-17-2002, 07:28 PM
i have not had the same problems with my gm trucks...have had many but currently own an 85.86,89,97,02.

all doing well the 89 and 97 are ready for engines as they are over 100k miles..but they still run good but tired.

the 02 is a 6000 and does not have any noticable defect at 5700 miles.

I will keep a watchful eye out though

mdb landscaping
03-17-2002, 08:10 PM
thats too bad. ive had nothing but great luck with chevrolets. i currently own a 2002 chevy 2500HD with a duramax. ever since a kid my father has had a chevy, and we havent had a problem with one of them. i guess sometimes you end up with the short end of the straw.

odin
03-17-2002, 09:02 PM
mbdlandscapeing
Me to i have never got the lemon yet i bought my first chevy truck in 1964 .In 66 i went to work for GM and have bought a lot of gmc chevy trucks.
I still have a 1988 surburban with over 250 thousand miles on it.
Only chevy i ever got to be close to a lemon was in 1977 i didnt get it undercoated and the next three winters were some of the worst in history and it rusted out.
I have considered a dodge i like their looks but the old employee discount is to much to give up.

KerryB
03-18-2002, 09:17 AM
Well I have never been a chevy man but since my wife works for a local dealer I bought a 2001 1500 with the small v-8.
I have to say that the only problem so far knock on wood has been the brakes. I had a bad brake booster that wanted to apply the front brakes while I was driving at 60mph lol
Well they diagnosed it in about 30min while I had my oil changed. ordered the part repaired it next day down time about 2 hours.
Cant complain about anything else its been a good trk so far.
I do complain about the price of filling that 34 gallon gas tank though lol

CT18fireman
03-18-2002, 05:20 PM
I would agree with John. If the motor is that bad let it run out and blow the motor. I have heard great things about the Duramax but the big block gassers are a different story. Town here had big problems with there 454's Finally they got smart and went to Dodge and Ford Diesels.

TLS
03-19-2002, 04:43 PM
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=15&t=000088&p=

Mow&Snow
03-19-2002, 06:55 PM
I am sorry to hear that you have had so many problems with your Chevy. I have always owned Chevy and have had great luck. I currently use a 2002 2500 HD with the 8100 engine as my main truck. It already has 11,ooo miles on it and I only have one complaint....Gas milage is horrible! But I must admit that I did not buy my truck for economy.......but for real work.
although I have had various break downs on chevy trucks in the past I feel that most of them were all related to the fact that I was abusing the truck in some way: load to heavy, to much in trailer. snow too deep....ect. Break downs are a part of business.

matt35
03-23-2002, 08:04 PM
I've had good luck with chevie trucks I stay with the 4 wheel drive long beds with 454's or 6000 motors. Go to GM Lemon center for some help maybe here is the site.

http://agmlemon.freeservers.com/index.html

Good Luck.

Brickman
04-07-2002, 10:35 PM
Guys I honestly feel sorry for you, with the trucks burning oil and the other problems mentioned.

That does sound about right tho for GM, that there would be a big problem and to top it all off they won't do any thing about it. The new diesel should be avoided too. Why any body would put aluminum heads on a diesel is beyond me.

This is why I drive a F 250 PS. I service the local GM dealership, and the the owner has tried more than once to talk me out of my F 250. I told him no way will he be able to do that. The cost alone would be a deciding factor for me. When I bought mine, I got the 2000 for just under $30,000. A comparable GMC 2500 HD diesel was $12,000 more. NO WAY is any GM pickup worth that much. I would have the Allison trans, but it by itself is NOT worth $12,000.
My truck loaded with grass and lawn trailer has badly beaten a new GM diesel off the stop lights. And mine is a standard trans, his was auto.

odin
04-07-2002, 11:30 PM
brickman

I feel sorry for all the ford truck owners out there leaking oil from the head gasket and blowing head gaskits and all the other quality control problems ford has been haveing with there two bit junk lately.
No way a sorry ford is as good as any gmc chevy product

Mow&Snow
04-08-2002, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by odin00
brickman

No way a sorry ford is as good as any gmc chevy product

I agree!!!

Brickman
04-08-2002, 09:00 AM
G good

M monkey

C cage

odinOO, Mow&Snow If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.

What in the world are you talking about blown head gaskets and such? That sounds just like the sick.2 and sick.5 diesel. Not my PS. And now the new one has aluminum heads on a cast iron block. WHATEVER...........

Rodney Johns
04-08-2002, 02:35 PM
Well update on that crapy truck of mine.
I just got a new engine dropped in it last week. Still having problems but at least this will keep me running until my case is settled. I just keep adding to the settlement price everyday they put me off.
If I can just discourage one guy from buying one then Chevy will be the real looser of this whole mess.

ChicagoLawn
04-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Brickman Lawn Care I'm with you!

Ford is the only way to go. I own (3) F-350's -(2)97 & (1)02 all single wheel, 4x4, 2 PSD, 1 gas.

I have experienced WAY TOO MUCH down time with the 1999 Chevy 3500 dump that I sold last week to ever consider Chevy again.
- Torsion front end.........Why?????? Leaf springs are only way to go.
- West coast mirror brackets(bent, rust stains on doors-noisy)
- Uneven front end tire wear.
- Terrible GM service at dealership.

TIME IS MONEY.

Joe