PDA

View Full Version : General Yard Maintenance question (leaf blowers/grass catcher)

stoshly
03-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Ok I've been living in my house for 3yrs now and I've never felt like I've gotten my lawn in great shape. Last year I bought a Scag freedom Z and I love it, it does a great job of mowing and has cut my time by about 2/3's. However every year during spring and fall I grapple with how to clean up my yard. I have MANY large oaks on the property and assorted terrain from lush grass to hilly/weedy/sandy slopes.

I'm at the point where I'm going to purchase some type of leaf blower but with 3 acres to maintain I'm not sure what to get. I've been leaning towards a larger backpack mounted unit because if their many uses, however with all acreage I started thinking of a little wonder. Thing is when I get into the price range of a little wonder blower would it just be better for me to get a bagger for my Scag?

Any recommendations? Where the the heck do I start?

White Gardens
03-16-2009, 12:49 PM
You have many valid issues on the subject.

At the bear minimum, I would buy a large back-pack blower. Echo, Stihl, etc... Go with a larger unit and you might not need a walk-behind blower.

A bagger is good to have in general. Any factory kit though has it limitation with capacity. A pull behind after market bagger might be the best option if the quantity of leaves is enormous.

So, that is my recommendation.

What do you do with the leaves after they've been picked up??

stoshly
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
You have many valid issues on the subject.

At the bear minimum, I would buy a large back-pack blower. Echo, Stihl, etc... Go with a larger unit and you might not need a walk-behind blower.

A bagger is good to have in general. Any factory kit though has it limitation with capacity. A pull behind after market bagger might be the best option if the quantity of leaves is enormous.

So, that is my recommendation.

What do you do with the leaves after they've been picked up??

Dump them on my property in the woods.

I'm actually seriously considering the Makita 7600 blower. I have their string trimmer and love it.

Aside from capacity is there any other reason why I should shy away from a SCAG bagger system? I like that fact that it will be more compact for storage etc. than a pull behind system. Also the maintenance will be minimal compared to a pull behind system.

BTW thanks for talking this out with me. The picture is becoming clearer.... :)

grass_cuttin_fool
03-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Check in to a Cyclone Rake for leaf removal......not sure how much you want to invest ....but they are well worth the money and do a great job... not to mention it folds flat and takes up little room

stoshly
03-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I purchased the Makita trimmer a year ago and I love it!!!

Sooooooo I had my local dealer order me one of these today, should be in by the end of the week.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images/prod/5/Makita-BBX7600-rw-94498-161188.jpg

http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=1133

White Gardens
03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
If it was me, I would have spent the money on this monster.

The air volume and air speed makes the Makita look like a toy.

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BR600.html

I'm not even sure who makes the blowers for Makita, but I've never heard anyone complain about them, so you probably made a good choice.

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 01:24 AM
If it was me, I would have spent the money on this monster.

The air volume and air speed makes the Makita look like a toy.

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BR600.html

I'm not even sure who makes the blowers for Makita, but I've never heard anyone complain about them, so you probably made a good choice.

I have a br 600... I plan on purchasing another one this season. Wouldn't consider anything else

grass_cuttin_fool
03-18-2009, 07:53 AM
]

They are made by Robin or I should say that Robin ,Makita and one more brand are produced by 1 company and marketed under 2-3 names

stoshly
03-18-2009, 09:15 AM
I have a br 600... I plan on purchasing another one this season. Wouldn't consider anything else

Wow that does seem like a lot for the price although it was slightly more than I would have liked to spend.

Dreams To Designs
03-18-2009, 09:42 AM
You will be disappointed with the Makita blower. A large blower like the Stihl BR600, Red Max 8000 or Echo's monster would be much more appropriate for the size property you wish to maintain. The suggestion of a Cyclone Rake, in addition to a large backpack would reduce your cleanup time by at least the same degree your new mower has with cutting the lawn. The backpack moves the leaves out into the open while the cyclone will pick them up, grind them down and allow you to spread them through the wooded areas as mulch. Having been ground by the Cyclone will also allow the leaves to break down much more quickly into wonderful compost.

Kirk

stoshly
03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
You will be disappointed with the Makita blower. A large blower like the Stihl BR600, Red Max 8000 or Echo's monster would be much more appropriate for the size property you wish to maintain. The suggestion of a Cyclone Rake, in addition to a large backpack would reduce your cleanup time by at least the same degree your new mower has with cutting the lawn. The backpack moves the leaves out into the open while the cyclone will pick them up, grind them down and allow you to spread them through the wooded areas as mulch. Having been ground by the Cyclone will also allow the leaves to break down much more quickly into wonderful compost.

Kirk

Thanks!

I will look into the cyclone rake in the future.

White Gardens
03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Wow that does seem like a lot for the price although it was slightly more than I would have liked to spend.

As a homeowner, you probably would never buy a new blower again if you went with a Stihl or anything comparable. So, you would need to weigh your options.

What I like about the Stihl BR 600 is that it will move anything. It also doesn't have a separate oil fill as their 4 strokes are a pre-mix so you never have to worry about low oil or running dry when you bend over while it's running.

I also love the decibel rating for the Stihl. Quiet with a ton of power.

stoshly
03-18-2009, 11:24 AM
As a homeowner, you probably would never buy a new blower again if you went with a Stihl or anything comparable. So, you would need to weigh your options.

What I like about the Stihl BR 600 is that it will move anything. It also doesn't have a separate oil fill as their 4 strokes are a pre-mix so you never have to worry about low oil or running dry when you bend over while it's running.

I also love the decibel rating for the Stihl. Quiet with a ton of power.

Wow, I feel really good about my purchase now... :(

As a homeowner I think the Makita will last me quite a while and it seems like it should have plenty of power for what I'm doing. I've used my friend's home depot cheap'o blower and it's worked great for my house.

White Gardens
03-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Wow, I feel really good about my purchase now... :(

As a homeowner I think the Makita will last me quite a while and it seems like it should have plenty of power for what I'm doing. I've used my friend's home depot cheap'o blower and it's worked great for my house.

You should be OK with the Makita. They are built fairly well, and as a homeowner, that is one of the better products to buy. Your just asking questions about equipment from people who deal with this stuff everyday and not just in the fall, so we all have looked at quality, specs, durability, and over-all best product for the price.

If you ever have the chance to try out a larger model such as the BR600, go for it. It would be fun non-the-less, and you would be amazed at the differences.

stoshly
03-18-2009, 11:58 AM
You should be OK with the Makita. They are built fairly well, and as a homeowner, that is one of the better products to buy. Your just asking questions about equipment from people who deal with this stuff everyday and not just in the fall, so we all have looked at quality, specs, durability, and over-all best product for the price.

If you ever have the chance to try out a larger model such as the BR600, go for it. It would be fun non-the-less, and you would be amazed at the differences.

Yeah I realized who I had asked as the responses were coming in. :)

Thanks for all the feedback and part of the reason I went with the Makita is the availability of the store next to my office and the ability also to get it repaired there as well. The local Stihl dealers are open from 9-5 5 days a week and I can't always get there.

I will make sure to try out the BR600 when I get a chance.

I really appreciate all the help. I'm not sure when I'll have the money but I will seriously take a look at the Cyclone Rake as well.

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM

There ARE pricey. But let me tell ya. That dang thing is a category 5. Pull the trigger and it gets the job done... In a business where time is money, you can't play around with wimpy equipment.

White Gardens
03-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Another item you might want to consider is a leaf plow.

http://www.advancedmower.com/jrco/leaf-blade-plow.htm

stoshly
03-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Another item you might want to consider is a leaf plow.

http://www.advancedmower.com/jrco/leaf-blade-plow.htm

That's a great idea! What does something like that cost?

KTcontracting
03-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Redmax EBZ8001 is the best...No Questions asked.

White Gardens
03-19-2009, 12:10 AM
That's a great idea! What does something like that cost?

I don't own one, but looking around I found one on e-bay for 450 or so. It's made for commercial use, so it folds back and is light.

If you like the idea, you might be able to find one used on e-bay, or rig something up for your mower if it's going to stay on your property.