PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Valve?????

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I am installing a small pond in my own back yard and need to know if there is any reason that I would need a valve in the line that connects the bottom drain back to the skimmer.....

This is a small project that I basically have wanted to do for years and now I am using it as a learning process. The bottom drain will be a Tetra 3" but I may reduce the pipe to 2 inch due to the smaller size of the pond.....

So....thanks in advance.......

XStream Aquatics
03-16-2009, 11:48 AM
No, not if you're not running it to an external sytem. If you had an external system and live where it gets really cold during the winter and you wanted to shut your system down then you have to be able to shut the line off and blow the water out of the lines.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the reply..... The pump is going to reside in the skimmer box. The plan was to run the bottom drain line to the skimmer box via a bulkhead... I am in Dayton, OH and we do have some very cold temps.......

Thanks Again....

XStream Aquatics
03-16-2009, 06:04 PM
You should be just fine. What type of skimmer are you using? And are you coming in from the bottom or side?

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-16-2009, 09:05 PM
it is an Atlantic skimmer.....my plan was to come in to it on the angled face below the skimmer opening.....

Thanks again for the help.....