PDA

View Full Version : Spring Cleanup

White Gardens
03-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Finally got to get out and work this last weekend.

I'm kicking myself for not getting any before pics, but I got some progress pics anyway.

So here's what I had to do. I went through and cleaned up all sticks and leaves. I then pruned some small ornamental trees removing damage for Ice storms. Use my stihl yardboss cultivator head to edge the beds and till the mulch. Last year I put down 13 yards of mulch on the property. Use my articulating hedge trimmer attachment to cut down perennial grasses.

The tilling went great and I like how the cultivator tines don't do any damage to the plants, such as the tulip bulbs spiking up. All in all it went well, I spent 8 hours there, and hauled away 4 yards worth of debris.

I also will be coming back when the grass greens up to edge the beds with a trimmer to clean them up and fix any odd lines.

White Gardens
03-16-2009, 11:49 AM
One more set.

openbook
03-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Looks like you did a good job cleaning the place up.

Why do you till the mulch? I don't really get it, did you mix it up with soil?

White Gardens
03-16-2009, 01:35 PM
The mulch compresses over time and goes stale. I till it to mix in bleached out sections from the sun, allow some good aeration of the mulch to knock out any mold or fungus, and it looks like I put down fresh mulch. I'm also able to tell if I have sections with too much and move it around to areas with too little.

I'm able to extend the life of the mulch another 3-6 months before removal and fresh put in.

Some dirt does get mix in when cultivating, but is very little over-all, so it doesn't affect the look of the mulch.

Also, it mixes up any left over debris from cleanup for a cleaner look.

When it comes right down to it, if your going to edge the beds, you might as well till up the whole area.

TheCanadianLawnRanger
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
That is a good tip on the mulch . I had never thought of that. Place looks great..cant wait till i get out this year should be 2 weeks or so. Best of luck

punt66
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
8 hours is a LONG spring cleanup. What did you charge for that?

aplusjon
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
hey good job on the cleanup

White Gardens
03-17-2009, 10:38 PM
8 hours is a LONG spring cleanup. What did you charge for that?

45 an hour

Szafranman
03-19-2009, 02:03 AM
White Gardens I see you are from Bloomington. I was wondering if you do any residential power raking/aerating and if so when you plan on getting started?

White Gardens
03-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Actually I don't.

Not that I wouldn't, I just haven't marketed that side of the biz. Besides, I think 9 times out of 10 aerations aren't needed and power raking is rarely needed.

If someone called me and insisted they wanted it done, then I would, I'm not stupid enough to pass up money. :laugh:

It's just getting time for that stuff around here. The grass is starting to come out of dormancy.

Szafranman
03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes I do agree that majority of the time the two services are not needed. I just got back forty contracts and of that 35 wanted either an aeration, power rake, and or both done. At $50 (Aerate) and $100 (Power rake) a pop, its to good of money to tell customers they don't need it. I was asking you because I am currently in Bloomington going to college at ISU but go home on weekends to work. So I was seeking your advice on when to go ahead and start the work, considering the conditions are basically the same here as back home.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
We got to do our first spring clean ups on march 18th this year not a bad start very early for here and we knocked out 7 and had time for and 8th. Looks to be a good year hoping to hit 15k before the April first billing cycle. That would be sweet to have working cash then so we can pay the overtime in April and hit 35-45k. Sad but true it takes money to make it and far to often we start the year off with less then we need but not this year.

Szafranman
03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Sounds like your off to a real good start. 35-45k a month how many employees do you have?