PDA

View Full Version : Bite me in the Butt......

Lawn Pawn
03-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Solo with hand full of accounts, in this business for myself five years.
Sent out way more packets of information and have been talking to many more potential accounts than I could ever take on. Hoping to get just a few more GOOD accounts.

Question is.... for the accounts I can not... or do not... want to take on... should I pass along the names of a couple other local lawn care providers to them? Would be only one or two solo operators like myself.

THESE WOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED BY ME!!!! Only a person for them to contact, and for the home owner to decide. I never recommend anything or anybody anymore.

I have always done this for services that I do not provide, and I believe it has helped everyone. However, do you think in this case it may come back to bite me?

Thanks for any feedback.

TomberLawn
03-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Make sure the other companies are trustworthy and reliable. If you are really worried about the other company hurting your reputation, just don't give any names. Simply tell new prospects thank you for calling, but your schedule is full.

Proc's Lawncare
03-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Heard of a guy just the other day taking on a ton of work, writing out a contract for the new clients, and then sold off those accounts he doesn't want to new start up lco's....

Not exactly the way i would handle business, I know a lot of people in the industry and think i would probably pass a name or two around and tell them to try them and see if they like them or not. I would agree with you and never reccomend one company to the next, doesn't look professional in my opinion.

SouthernCutter
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
I have only told a potential customer to call someone else one time, and i gave them the person to call. I told her i was very busy but wish i could take her account on at the time, when actually the grass was to my waist and she had 5 VERY LARGE DOGS, you know what comes with large dogs, and she told me that she was looking for a deal. My friend cuts grass and he reccomended me to someone like this a few months ago, so i returned the favor.

jlawnman
03-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I have only told a potential customer to call someone else one time, and i gave them the person to call. I told her i was very busy but wish i could take her account on at the time, when actually the grass was to my waist and she had 5 VERY LARGE DOGS, you know what comes with large dogs, and she told me that she was looking for a deal. My friend cuts grass and he reccomended me to someone like this a few months ago, so i returned the favor.

Don't blame ya man! I can't stand to see the globs of dog poop so round and round on my tires all day... Trying to wash it off with a waterhose just splatters it all over the seat and engine... :laugh:

Littleriver1
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I havn't really recommanded any one but several of us email each other about accounts to stay away from. Like PITAs, non spenders and non payers.

jlawnman
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I havn't really recommanded any one but several of us email each other about accounts to stay away from. Like PITAs, non spenders and non payers.

This is smart!

Surferbum21
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
Solo with hand full of accounts, in this business for myself five years.
Sent out way more packets of information and have been talking to many more potential accounts than I could ever take on. Hoping to get just a few more GOOD accounts.

Question is.... for the accounts I can not... or do not... want to take on... should I pass along the names of a couple other local lawn care providers to them? Would be only one or two solo operators like myself.

THESE WOULD NOT BE RECOMMENDED BY ME!!!! Only a person for them to contact, and for the home owner to decide. I never recommend anything or anybody anymore.

I have always done this for services that I do not provide, and I believe it has helped everyone. However, do you think in this case it may come back to bite me?

Thanks for any feedback.

best solution is to take on everything and hire a guy to help out. best thing you can ever do. think about it. you'll be mowing twice as many yards and only paying out $8-12/hr. Let's say you have two yards side by side and they take an hour each at $35 a pop. you made $35/hr. you have someone help you and you just made $58-62 depending on what you decided to pay.

best thing you can ever do once you get too many accounts. i didn't do one bit of hard labor last year b/c i had my helpers do it for me. i was either on my rider or "pushing" a self-propel

ambersLawnmowing
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
If i get alittle account that is out of my way or way to small for me to mow then i call a few people i know and trade. They give me the bigger ones they cant do and i give them the small ones i dont want, or are out of my way. i generally state they are PITA'S upfront if they are or whatever the customer is. and they do the same for me.

jlawnman
03-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ignoramus.. but what is a PITA? Is this like a POA or a HOA

Lawn Pawn
03-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I don't mean to sound like an ignoramus.. but what is a PITA? Is this like a POA or a HOA

Pain in The A$$.....

jlawnman
03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
gotcha... thanks