PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on finding valve box

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Hi guys I'm looking to find a valve box in which a valve went bad early fall last year. I tried to tone it out using the wires from the controller, but ran into too much interferance and lost the signal as I think it was too far away from the controller. I have a general idea of where it may be, but I could not find it even after many hours of searching for it. As a result the valve was not repaired and couldn't be winterized. As spring is fast approaching any ideas on how to locate this??? I have thought of a metal detector, but there are a lot of underground utlities in this area that I think may throw this off. It is a 37 zone system and located in a condo complex that I manage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots
03-16-2009, 04:05 PM
What specific locator were you using before? What make and model of valve do you expect it is?

Waterit
03-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Hi guys I'm looking to find a valve box in which a valve went bad early fall last year. I tried to tone it out using the wires from the controller, but ran into too much interferance and lost the signal as I think it was too far away from the controller. I have a general idea of where it may be, but I could not find it even after many hours of searching for it. As a result the valve was not repaired and couldn't be winterized. As spring is fast approaching any ideas on how to locate this??? I have thought of a metal detector, but there are a lot of underground utlities in this area that I think may throw this off. It is a 37 zone system and located in a condo complex that I manage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

::::Paging Mr. Leary, paging Mr. Leary, we have a lost valve for you to find::::

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
What specific locator were you using before? What make and model of valve do you expect it is?

I had a guy doing excavating on a new system install located at another part of this property tone it out for me, so I am not sure what he was using, just told me he was losing the signal. As the valve I am not sure, the original contractor used a whole mismatch of parts. As repairs are needed I am finding many problems, such as duct taped pipes......:cry:

From what I have encountered so far there has been a mix of Hunter and Toro parts, not sure on the actual model, I can go take a look at another box and be able to get a better idea tomorrow.

Wet_Boots
03-16-2009, 04:22 PM
If the system is now "your baby" then you need to start mapping it out for your future convenience. Since you aren't in Texas, there's a decent chance that the missing valve box has more than one valve in it, so that another zone wire can be followed.

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 04:28 PM
If the system is now "your baby" then you need to start mapping it out for your future convenience. Since you aren't in Texas, there's a decent chance that the missing valve box has more than one valve in it, so that another zone wire can be followed.

I do have it mapped out now, that it is "my baby"...I know where everything else is, except, unfortunately for this one particular zone. The valve box does only have one valve in it, every other valve and box is accounted for and runs.

Waterit
03-16-2009, 04:44 PM
Borrow/rent a 521 locator.

DanaMac
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Borrow/rent a 521 locator.

These are typically the standard for locating valves. There are others similar to it as well.

You can also try a Chatter Box, or a Crick-It(sp?) If done right it should make the plunger in the solenoid rapidly bounce up and down, making it chatter.

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check that out. I wish i could put this "baby" up for re - adoption as it has been nothing but problems since I "adopted" it. I am going to wait until I start it up for the season...maybe I might find a gyser of water coming out of the ground come start up. Just trying to get an early jump on problems...Thanks for the help.

Wet_Boots
03-16-2009, 04:50 PM
You really need to own your own locator, and know how to use it. It isn't something you sub out.

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 04:56 PM
You really need to own your own locator, and know how to use it. It isn't something you sub out.

I don't do irrigation work full time, I am just the facility manager of this property and a couple others. We try to do a lot of the work in house before we sub it out to our irrigation contractor as a means to cut costs. Looks like he will be handling it this spring, unless I can locate a 521.

Wet_Boots
03-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Just how much money are you saving by not allowing a good irrigation contractor to handle matters?

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Just how much money are you saving by not allowing a good irrigation contractor to handle matters?

I am not looking on starting an argument and I think it maybe heading this way. We use our irrigation contractor to do new installs, winterization, replacing broken lines, 7, and other trouble shooting problems that we have with the systems. So in short, we use a good contractor most of the time. We only change out broken heads and do other minor repairs in house. I have done irrigation work in the past for 8 years so I do have some experience. I am saving money by not paying my irrigation guy to come out and search for a box that we should know where it is located.

Waterit
03-16-2009, 07:20 PM
We use our irrigation contractor to do new installs, winterization, replacing broken lines, 7, and other trouble shooting problems that we have with the systems.

We used to do 7, but we've moved up to 13 now.

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 07:33 PM
typo my bad:hammerhead:

Stuttering Stan
03-16-2009, 07:34 PM
, winterization, replacing broken lines, 7, and other trouble shooting problems that we have with the systems.

What does 7 have to do with this?

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 07:35 PM

i wish i knew stan...my bad a typo...don't even know how it got in there

mitchgo
03-16-2009, 08:08 PM
So your saying you would rather dink around with it for the next few months adding up your man hours on it then having a irrigation person come out to locate it in less then a hour?

then you can document it

G&G Maintenace
03-16-2009, 08:12 PM
No Mitch, I was asking if there was an easy way to find it or any tips or suggestions. Anything that was said I already have done. So the call will be made to my contractor to locate it.

Mike Leary
03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
unless I can locate a 521.

Ho, ho, takes some practice, I know.

Waterit
03-16-2009, 10:06 PM

I dunno either. Now 13, that I know about...

Ho, ho, takes some practice, I know.

You certainly do. Get Rotar to fly out and the 2 of you do a YouTube of you with the 521 (yes, I'm getting bored waiting for Spring to be sprung).

Stuttering Stan
03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Can anyone find ML's 521 thread. I see lots of references to it but can't seem to find it. Yes- I am seach button impaired!!!

Tom Tom
03-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Can anyone find ML's 521 thread. I see lots of references to it but can't seem to find it. Yes- I am seach button impaired!!!

The rumor is ML paid off a certain somebody(Jack Bauer) to remove the said information.

Kiril
03-17-2009, 10:07 AM

I think it means Boots is 7 times more of an ass than he previously thought. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
It's seven more than the number of photos of actual irrigation work performed by Magnet Boy.

Kiril
03-17-2009, 10:14 AM
It's seven more than the number of photos of actual irrigation work performed by Magnet Boy.

...... and 7 + "3" more than Mr. 3 variable.