PDA

View Full Version : Briggs & Stratton 16HP V-Twin Vanguard: It it any good?

genesis215
03-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I am looking at a mower with this engine, and wondered if it is any good at all. Is it fairly reliable, or is it known to be trouble prone? I have had nothing but 15 and 17HP Kawasaki's on my mowers so far, and was looking at this one just because of the really good price. I would plan to replace it with a Kawasaki or Kohler once it wears out, but wondered if this would be fine for now. Thanks alot.

KensLawnCare
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
i have a 16 vtwin vanguard on my 36 walkbehind seems to do just fine

Mowbizz
03-16-2009, 08:27 PM
The Briggs Vanguard, so I'm told, is one of the best of Briggs...not sure if it's because it's a Japanese engine, but I have this motor on my Lesco leaf loader and it runs great...One pull and it's running. Mine has the top mounted 9 quart fuel tank and this design leaves a bit to be desired with the "remote" fuel shutoff (bent wire that connects to the shutoff under the tank). Another thing is that there was a recall on a fuel filter problem where the filter comes apart and leaks all over the hot engine. Mine did it in the first few hours of use...the replacement filter is the fix for the problem, so it's not to big of a deal. All in all, if you take care of these small issues, you have a great engine...:drinkup: