PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying a brush cutter

bluridge
03-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I am thinking of buying a brush cutter. I am thinking of getting one of those line trimmers that have a *saw* blade to cut brushes probably no more than the size of a water hose and more likely much less. I think the trimmer with attachment will work best for me. I see the husky brush cutters are like $800 to $1,000 and not sure if that is what I need. Do any of you guys use any other brands of trimmer with a brush attachment and perhaps a line trimmer?

I have a Echo line trimmer for my yard and I think its the SRM-2100 or 2400 model. Had it for 4 years and its been running well and now starting to leak oil a little so I will need to take a look at that. I use this once a week for my yard but will see if I can cut a few yards in my neighbor so will see how this holds up.

I have a space in my backyard, behind my fence that is probably 40 yards by 6 feet that has brushes rearing its end up so much that its hard to see beyond the fence. So my thought is to get a bush trimmer and whack it down on a monthly basis and spray to keep it down.

Let me kow what you all use as far as bush trimmers with the blade attachment and preferably that can change out to a line trimmer.

Don't know if Echo has this and if they do and offer 5 year customer warranty this may be the thing to look into. I am not against Shindy/Husky/Stihl but hate to pay more than what I need for my application.

Thanks in advance.

Elmer
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I've got a Stihl FS250R which retails for about $499. Picked it up on sale for 10% off. Put a 100 tooth carbide tipped brush blade on it. Works great. I've been cleaning out an old fence row. Cuts up to 4 inch trees without any problem at all. Just mows right thru them. Plenty of power and it is not grabby at all. I'll post the e-bay link of the brush blades. No affilliation with the seller or blades - just a satisfied customer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2pk-CARBIDE-brush-cutter-Trimmer-Brushcutter-BLADES-9_W0QQitemZ140306617612QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item140306617612&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1730|66%3A4|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

coobie
03-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a honda trimmer with saw blade,very good IMHO.coobie:)

ed2hess
03-16-2009, 09:43 PM
There are a couple different attachments for your Echo but don't expect much. The probaby run less than $50 and essentially are a round saw. With a little patients you can do alright.

bluridge
03-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the information. I will check these out. Like one of the poster stated, this is for weed growth behind my fence and its a mess and I am tired of using a long knife you get from home depot to cut this schit down :) and thought I'd get a combo trimmer that I can use to cut this down quickly and save my arm! I will check Honda out but my current Echo trimmer I think may be underpowered for the saw blade. It appears the saw blade needs a slightly stronger motor to work the blade. I forgot what the Stihl FS250 cost near me but will check them out if they can come with a blade also then I would have a dual purpose tool :clapping: ...

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 11:03 AM
The only Honda hand held equipment we own are two of the 35 series trimmer/brushcutters. They're four strokes and are absolute bull dogs. more power than you'll ever need and go right through undergrowth and small trees.

Only takes a couple minutes to change out the head to make it a trimmer and it comes with all the attachemnts.

Very frugal on gas too.

And they come with a nice padded shoulder harness for a reason.... you need it!

bluridge
03-17-2009, 11:20 AM
yeah...thanks for the idea. will check out the Honda. I really don't need a pro bush cutter which is why I want to buy a trimmer with a saw blade attachment capability.

One thing I noticed on Stihl's site, with the saw blade attachment they recommend this attachment be used with bike handle trimmers, but the loop trimmers. Is this a must to have a bike handle trimmer to use the saw blade?

I am not sure if I can get used to the bike handle trimmer...how does everyone like the trimmer with bike handle? Remember I will not be using this a whole lot for bush cutting so that is why I am asking.

Thanks!

coobie
03-17-2009, 11:25 AM
yeah...thanks for the idea. will check out the Honda. I really don't need a pro bush cutter which is why I want to buy a trimmer with a saw blade attachment capability.

One thing I noticed on Stihl's site, with the saw blade attachment they recommend this attachment be used with bike handle trimmers, but the loop trimmers. Is this a must to have a bike handle trimmer to use the saw blade?

I am not sure if I can get used to the bike handle trimmer...how does everyone like the trimmer with bike handle? Remember I will not be using this a whole lot for bush cutting so that is why I am asking.

Thanks!IMHO,the bike handle is a must for saw blade use.Like stated about my honda will cut like a raped ape with the saw blade attachment.I think you get what you pay for.:weightlifter:

Elmer
03-17-2009, 11:37 AM

Thanks!

The loop handle/brush blade combo is fine as long as you use some common sense and don't try to cut with the front part of the blade. I like the loop handle better because you have more mobility and don't have to contort as much to reach around obstacles. For some folks though, even the bike handle/brush blade combo would be unsafe.

Elmer
03-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Might also mention that if you buy a Stihl with the loop handle, the brush blade attachment pieces are not included. You will need a thrust washer, rider plate and nut. I think that these pieces are about $20 total.

If you buy a bike handle trimmer, these pieces should be included.

Just something to think about.

ed2hess
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
For no more than you are going to do you don't need any handles....go get the Echo one for $50 and then decide if you need or want a bigger rig. These things are hard to use.....rent a bush hog from Home Depot and be done in no time. Then weed it with trimmer from then on.