PDA

View Full Version : BEST VALUE residential ZTR

ghustonus
03-16-2009, 06:18 PM
HI from a newbie,

I have looked around the site a little and haven't been able to find an answer to the following question:

What is the best value ZTR for a residential homeowner and why?

I currently have an old swisher ZTR (the three wheel variety) that needs more TLC (parts and time) each time I mow.

I am looking at the following mowers:

Cub Cadet i1042 and RZT50
Snapper 150Z (both 33" single blade and 42" dual blade)
Toro z4200
A comparable john deer
Hustler sport

The exmark and scag mowers I looked at are out of my price range

Ease of operation and maintenance are important as is even cut and good mulching. Please advise as to any others to look at and help me decide. I am looking for most bang for my buck.

Gary

mowerbrad
03-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Keep in mind that my knowledge of residential ztr's is minimal...

I think the scag and exmark residential ztr's are more for the people who have a couple acres to mow at their personal homes. All the other choices are designed for more of the average residential lawn. I personally don't like snappers too much. I would either go with the Deere or Toro. But which ever one you go with I would make sure you buy it from a very good dealer.

Lakewlc
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM
the cub cadet rzt 50 is nice with the kawisaki.. seem to be built pretty good

ramcat
03-17-2009, 08:12 PM
any one of the jd ez traks would be nice for you. they all have commercial grade hydros and good engines to go with them. they would probably last a homeowner a lifetime. you can choose from the z225, z425, z445 and z465.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I would double your question in the homeowner forum. You might get a better response there.

RTR Landscaping
03-17-2009, 08:41 PM
My company runs all Scag mowers, but I certainly understand that they are pricey. The dealer I buy my Scags from also sells Snapper. He really likes their mowers for a lower price option. If the 33" mower your talking about is the same deck used on their rear engine riders,that's a great cutting deck. I know a single blade deck leaves a nice cut.

PTP
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider purchasing a used commercial machine in good condition. If you find a good deal there, that would most likely be the biggest bang for the buck that you want.

powernoje
03-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Hustler... fastrak or sport....

Grits
03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Hustler Sport....hands down. It's around $3000.

STIHL GUY
03-17-2009, 09:26 PM
A JD Ztrack would probably suit you well. they are nice mowers

sdk1959
03-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Is a good choice too. Smooth ride, floating deck, full length rollers, 6.5 gallon tank, mulching and bagging attachments are available for it. See link below.
Good luck with your choice.

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/products/zero_turn/zt3000/

wheels910
03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
if you go deere, all i can say is z445. its the residential mower with the kawi engine instead of briggs. much much quiter and doesn't feel like it's going to shake apart. you'll have to drive a z445 and any other residential deere to know what i'm talking about. better engine. longer lasting. if you decide to go with a less expensive residential or a different brand, get one with an oil pump and pressurized oil system. not just a splash oiler. better lubrication that any engine needs, certainly a cheaper engine.

my .02

Big Bad Bob
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
HI from a newbie,

I have looked around the site a little and haven't been able to find an answer to the following question:

What is the best value ZTR for a residential homeowner and why?

I currently have an old swisher ZTR (the three wheel variety) that needs more TLC (parts and time) each time I mow.

I am looking at the following mowers:

Cub Cadet i1042 and RZT50
Snapper 150Z (both 33" single blade and 42" dual blade)
Toro z4200
A comparable john deer
Hustler sport

The exmark and scag mowers I looked at are out of my price range

Ease of operation and maintenance are important as is even cut and good mulching. Please advise as to any others to look at and help me decide. I am looking for most bang for my buck.

Gary

All I can say on the residentials is to stay away from the Cub RZT and go for the Cub Z-Force. The Z-Force is more expensive but it is built a lot heavier.

dago52
03-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I would also consider a Gravely. They have some decent prices on their residential mowers.

Good Luck

ZTR_Diesel
03-17-2009, 11:39 PM
If I were to answer this correctly - I would ask you first, how big's your yard? How often do you mow? How many trees/shurbs/fences/dogs, etc do you have to mow around? And what's your life expectancy for this unit? Those old Swishers may have been inexpensive, but they were built like a small tank. Most of the "homeowner" units I've seen are built much more cheaply these days in general.

Next, I would highly advise you to shop for a dealer before you settle on brand and model of mower. Service and support from a good dealer make a world of differance down the road. Please do feel completely free to skip out on the Home Depot/Lowe's/ Sears & Robucks models where service is practically non-existant after the sale.

Finally, I would encourage you to look at used commercial units as well. You'll get a lot more "bang for your buck" out of a good used mower with 500 hours on it than a homeowner unit that is new. For a lighter duty unit, Dixon ZTR's are fine (though no one on here seems to know about them) but I personally am going with a used commercial ZTR that I will mow a few lawns with. Even if I replace engines down the road, the mower itself may well last another 20 years. Just my $.02

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 12:57 AM
If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider purchasing a used commercial machine in good condition. If you find a good deal there, that would most likely be the biggest bang for the buck that you want.

I agree.. keep an eye on craigslist and your local bargain papers.. never know what you'll come up with. Before you buy, have a servicing dealer take a look at it.

ZTR_Diesel
03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
One other thought on this subject - if you go commercial, try to look for a unit that's been owned by a homeowner, as often times that commercial units have some pretty decnet wear and tear on them. That said, if you know a commercial lawncare business looking to trade in thier equipment and you know that they maintain them well, you may get a deal with them.

jkingrph
03-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I was in the same position about three years ago. Researched checked with local dealers, as well as JD dealer about 35 miles away. I finally decided on a Scag Wildcat, LC Kawasaki, 52"deck and have been extremely pleased. I am mowing just under 1.75 acres with lots of trees, bushes and can knock it out in a little over one hour. The old lawn tractor took almost three.

My recommendation is to go a light commercial grade. You will pay a bit more up front, but will have better duarability and service. I finally reached the point where I could afford the $7500 +tax for the mower, after 20 years of Sears mowers and one Cub Cadet, a piece of junk with constant problems, Got the house and vehicles paid for, son through law school and did something for myself and am not looking back.

DJL50
03-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I have 2.5 acr. and purchased a Toro z400 Estate. 52" deck 19 hp Kawasaki. It is a commercial grade mower built for the home owner. I gave $5,600 3 years ago. Works very well. Toro parts are expensive but able to get any part I need in a day or two. I had an old Toro/wheel horse that was 18 years old and could get every part needed in a day or two.