PDA

View Full Version : tire slime question

shade tree landscaping
03-16-2009, 07:45 PM
The third (back) wheel on my walker keeps going flat on me several times each season. Its always a thorn (twice), screw/nail, all types of fun stuff. My question is does this tire slime really work? Anything negitive about it? I'm thinking of adding it to all my mower tires, and my wheel barrows. Does it add a noticable ammount, if any, of weight to the machine? Just keep plugging the tires or is this stuff really as good as they make it sound?

MileHigh
03-16-2009, 07:52 PM
I hear mixed things on slime for tires.

Some say it damages the inner wall of the tire...others say it does no harm.

All I know Is that I hate dealing with flat mower tires...

kaferhaus
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
We've been using it for years, no problems and no flats.

GracesLandscaping
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Some people love it BUT i will never ever use it on anything i own... mainly because i worked at a tire place for about 1 1/2 years and it is the biggest P.I.T.A. when you bring a tire in. This doesn't make sense but the best thing you could do is put a tube in the tire. it will outlast the slime 9 out of 10 times, and isn't going to cost much more if any more than a bottle of slime. Oh and btw slime WILL rust your wheels... only benefit i see from it is if your in the middle of a job and the tire goes flat!

swim
03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
I love using slim in all of my mower tires. Its great. If a tire does go flat 99% of the time I only need to air it back up and the slime will seal it. If it will not seal the hole, most likely a plug will not either. Its time for a new tire. Then comes the only down side to slime. Its a mess when you do have to install a new tire. Very sticky and very wet and messy. All in all I love it and use it in all of my equipment.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
I put tubes in my front tires. Then one of them went flat, I got a bottle of that AirUp and sprayed it in, and no problems since. Now I know I'm not damaging the tire or rim.

MOWNITDOWN
03-16-2009, 09:55 PM
Ive used it many times and it works. But it is bad when got to finally replace the tire. At that point you'll be cursing the day you did it. But what you forget at that time is how happy that you were when you used it and it worked, so it is pick your poison I guess. So I guess I'm saying use it and it will work, but just be ready when you break down that tire when you are getting ready to change it, it will suck.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Ive used it many times and it works. But it is bad when got to finally replace the tire. At that point you'll be cursing the day you did it. But what you forget at that time is how happy that you were when you used it and it worked, so it is pick your poison I guess. So I guess I'm saying use it and it will work, but just be ready when you break down that tire when you are getting ready to change it, it will suck.

Get the dealer to do it. They charged me 15.00 for each front tire(including the price of the tube)

sandman23
03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Slime is the only way. Sorry for the guy that has to change the tire but I was sick of flats. It also helps maintain consistent tire pressure.

Green Machine Mowing
03-16-2009, 11:02 PM
ive never had any luck with it in my bike tires. however specialized (the bike company) makes a similar productm but with fibers in it to help plug the hole, ive heard it works better, however you mush remove the core of your valve to get the stuff in without plugging up the valve

tyler_mott85
03-16-2009, 11:18 PM
You can get solid fill tires for your walker at some dealers. Ask your Walker dealer if he carries them. I do not remember the Brand name.

woodbutcher44
03-17-2009, 01:08 AM
I use it in every thing and when its time tto get rid of the balled tires I simply cut a hole in the tire side wall on both sides of the tire drain what will into a bucket. Then I insert a water hose and rinse it for a few min.
No more sticky mess .

Lawn-Guy
03-17-2009, 03:21 AM
some tire shops offer a foam filling it is awesome it will never go flat

David Haggerty
03-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Slime rusts your rims. There are brands of tire sealer that won't but the price goes up.
Tires get old and soft. Especially if they've been run low for a while. They get where every little sticker makes them go flat.
Slime will get maybe another season out of an old tire. Then you have to sand & repaint the rim inside.
I've been doing that for years. I'm about ready to skip the slime-then-paint step and just get the new tires.

Foam filled tires are so heavy they tear up your mower and ride like they're made of stone. Been there done that too.
Urethane filled tires are great but only in smaller sizes of 11" diameter or so. They're pricy too.
I try to get 4 ply tires, that helps the most.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-17-2009, 06:59 AM
Ive used slime and been happy with the results......havent changed any tires yet with it in it.....