PDA

View Full Version : dimensions of trailer cage/ rack?

mattfromNY
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I am getting ready to build a gas can, hedge trimmer, etc. cage/ rack on the front of my trailer (not a tongue-mount, one on legs to park the front of mower under, that will hold my 'stuff' out of harms way). I've seen many on trailers featured in pictures here on LS, but nobody around me has one to measure.
My current trailer is a 7.5 X 14.
If you have one, and can give me measurements, pros and cons of it (should have been bigger/ smaller, gate on top or front, end gates, dividers, etc) , I'd appreciate it. :waving:
Matt.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-16-2009, 09:36 PM
mine is 6 foot by 18 inches long and 18 tall.......18 is min and I would really prefer 24 inches x 24 inches.......I like the 6 foot in length because I have a back pack rack on the end of the box and the blower doesnt stick out past the side of the trailer.....forgot to add that my box is 3 side and open on top.....theft isnt very bad where I work and I keep a hand blower and small gas cans and various hand tools, cooler and oil in the box

mattfromNY
03-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks, thats the kind of ideas I'm looking for. I'm not putting it on b/c of theft, but more for convenience of having everything in one place. I plan to put a shovel/ rake rack on the front of it, and I like the idea of blower rack on the side.
How high off the ground to mount it? Obviously, enough to clear my mower underneath it, but anything else to look for, something I wouldn't think of unless I've 'been there/ done that'?

SNAPPER MAN
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Mine is 2' by 2' and it is awesome. Make it the width of your trailer and it will be the most versatile rack on your trailer.

4.3mudder
03-16-2009, 10:01 PM
MIne is a 24 deep by 32 front of trailer to back, opens from the top. It is way too much space at the top, only thing that sits that tall is the cans, that is it. It would be good to divide it into 2 seperate cages, 1 foot a piece.

MikeKle
03-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I built one a couple years ago and I too made the legs mount on top of the side rails, Mine was around 24" tall, 12" deep and 76" long(width of trailer). I made the cage door open in front and come down, if you make the opening on top, you will always have to stand on the tongue to access it. I also mounted the spring actuated locking device in a hidden spot so not just anyone could open it. But I took it off later that season, mainly because of the weight it added, and plus I removed the back seat from my 4 door dodge and I can fit everything that was in the cage in the truck nicely. Some people like these cages, I loved mine at first but it got to be a hassle after awhile. I still have it in the shop though just in case I get in the mood for trying it again! Good luck on yours, just use as light as gauge steel as possible to keep the weight down, I used 1/8" angle and light gauge expanded steel( the expanded steel is what adds the most weight to them).

grass_cuttin_fool
03-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks, thats the kind of ideas I'm looking for. I'm not putting it on b/c of theft, but more for convenience of having everything in one place. I plan to put a shovel/ rake rack on the front of it, and I like the idea of blower rack on the side.
How high off the ground to mount it? Obviously, enough to clear my mower underneath it, but anything else to look for, something I wouldn't think of unless I've 'been there/ done that'?
you have the right idea.....put your mower on t he trailer and measure how much height you need and make the legs according ....5 gallons cans arent much fun standing on the tongue taking them in and out.....no need to make it any higher than needed.....usually my 5 gallon can stays on the trailer floor

Chilehead
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
I will be building mine very shortly. My trailer is 5' wide, so the cage will be 60" x 18" x 18". One question though. What are your thoughts on using plywood in lieu of expanded metal. I will still be using angle iron for the frame. Thanks.

hvphotog
04-18-2009, 11:40 AM
can you guys with the cages post photos of your cages?

Maximuslion
04-18-2009, 01:22 PM
can you guys with the cages post photos of your cages?

yea, let's have a look

voodooray
05-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Yeah, Pix please.....

Thanks

CutnEdgLwnCare
08-04-2009, 11:23 PM
Mikekle,

I saw that you had taken your rack off. I was wondering if you were interested in selling it, I am serious about looking for one