PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Property Discounts

theguynextdoor
03-17-2009, 01:58 AM
I am bidding on 7 properties for a real estate company. I am pretty sure I'll get the job because I did landscaping work for this company before and have a good relationship with the owner. I havn't looked at all of them yet, but lets say I bid $25 per weekly cut, 30 week season for each property. This may sound low to some of you, but they are very small lawns and the average lawn price around here is lower than other parts of the country and our overhead costs are lower (rent, etc.). These are all apartment buildings. I also may be bidding on her house. Should I give some sort of discount, or price alteration for the amount of properties? She told me that if they like the bid on these, I will also get more properties that they own. Thanks for any advice.

** I should also add that all of the apartments are within 3/4 mile of each other, kinda out of my normal operating area, but worth it since I have the opportunity for so many properties and even more in the future.

FourTrees
03-17-2009, 03:20 AM
I say go for it. If you can make money at that rate it is worth discounting guy's like this. It is nice to have a client with so many properties. I have some set up like this. We actually make a good bit with all the extra's. You have to look at it from a business perspective, they are income properties the owner will not likely pay top dollar (they still have to make a profit on their end). It's called bulk pricing and many companies are looking for someone who will give them the benefit of the bulk rate.

bohiaa
03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
NOT only NO, BUT HELL NO.....

dont fall victum to the ole, we have more and if u do good on these you MIGHT get the others.
a MIGHT lives on a Chicken's ass.

how much of a discount did Walmar give you last week ? simply because you purchased more than 1 item ?

KrayzKajun
03-17-2009, 09:16 AM

dont fall victum to the ole, we have more and if u do good on these you MIGHT get the others.

how much of a discount did Walmar give you last week ? simply because you purchased more than 1 item ?

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
I never understand these questions.

Hell no.

Your time is worth what it's worth. If you charge $60 an hour or whatever that's what you base your bid on.

I might give a small discount if they were all lined up next to each other, but if you're loading and unloading.... forget it.

yardatwork
03-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I disagree - give a little discount based on bulk. This was the easiest and less time consuming seven lawns he's probably landed. He doesn't have extra time and money spent in advertising to land seven lawns. He doesn't have the extra time in traveling around to seven different clients/lawns and working up seven different estimates. Contacted one person and landed seven lawns vs. contacting seven different clients to land seven lawns. This is a sure thing vs. where he might have needed to travel to 10-15 different lawns to only land seven of them.

I wouldn't give the service for free, but if these are $25 lawns, do them for $23. If you price things right and do great work, you will get their additional lawns that need mowed. However, if you never get a single lawn after this...you still have seven more lawns from this contract!

HulkXD
03-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Give 'em a discount. Walmart may not give you a discount, but Sam's does because it sells in bulk. That's the nature of the business world. Go for it.

theguynextdoor
03-17-2009, 10:05 AM
I am positive I will get more properties. I know the owner very well, I do work for many of her family and her personal home. She's not Bullsh***** me.

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't talking about any major discount, just 23 a cut instead of 25, something small.

SamTheLawnMan
03-17-2009, 11:12 AM

WELL SAID.....but I see his point to....

HOOLIE
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I would give some sort of discount for that many lawns from one customer. I don't get the logic I see on this forum so often...we're all in business to make money. Plain and simple. It's not about some dollar per hour figure or being high and mighty and having minimum charge standards. Picking up 7 at once saves a lot on advertising for one thing. And while they aren't all together on one street, they are all close by to each other.

I think some of us are going to be in for a rude awakening this year. Even in my area, which has more money than 98% of the areas everyone else works in, customers are getting very price-sensitive and realize finally they have the upper hand over businesses. If you're in the position where you can tell potential customers to F- off over a few bucks, more power to ya. If not, then it might be a good year to be flexlble.

theguynextdoor
03-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I would give some sort of discount for that many lawns from one customer. I don't get the logic I see on this forum so often...we're all in business to make money. Plain and simple. It's not about some dollar per hour figure or being high and mighty and having minimum charge standards. Picking up 7 at once saves a lot on advertising for one thing. And while they aren't all together on one street, they are all close by to each other.

I think some of us are going to be in for a rude awakening this year. Even in my area, which has more money than 98% of the areas everyone else works in, customers are getting very price-sensitive and realize finally they have the upper hand over businesses. If you're in the position where you can tell potential customers to F- off over a few bucks, more power to ya. If not, then it might be a good year to be flexlble.

I agree with that. I work in higher end neighborhoods so I don't see any of my customers spreading their own mulch or mowing their own yard, but they could certainly find someone to do it cheaper than I do. I know my customers well so I'm not worried about loosing them to lowballers. They're all sick of the guys who charge 15 bucks a cut and make their nice yards look like crap.

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
WELL SAID.....but I see his point to....

If he's talking about a couple bucks a cut.... that'd I'd probably live with.

But that'd be when the mystery "other" accounts came into the picture.

I've had so many realtors and property managers make such vague promises over the years to never materialize (they were lying to try and get a better price) That for the past saveral years I just tell em, "well when that stuff comes up we'll see if we can't package it all together and find a way to save you some monay"

HulkXD
03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I give a multiple properties discount, as well as an "I don't have to start my truck" discount for people in my subdivision.

And, of course, the ever present family discount.

Crap, I'm generous!

mowerbrad
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
If I would only have to move my truck once or twice then I say a discount would be in order. But if I would have to drive to each one, I would probably not give them a discount, if I did it would be very small. If you have to load and unload at each property, think how much time you will waste.

Carolina Cuts
03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
How much of a discount did Walmar give you last week ? simply because you purchased more than 1 item ?

Actually, I was just at Walmart... SUPERWalmart, and I was able to buy 1 Bag of Lays chips and the second bag was free. Ya know... 2 for 1.... so, in theory, they did give me a 'bulk' discount. :laugh: umm.... errr, sorta/kinda bulk...

Frontier-Lawn
03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
The only discount's i give for multiple property's is 2 reasons:
1] more then 3 homes to service.
2] they are right next to each other.