PDA

View Full Version : Securing mowers on the trailer

MikeKle
03-17-2009, 11:45 AM
This has been an ongoing problem for me, I have tried just about every type of tie-down. Currently we just have 2x4s nailed to the trailer floor and the mowers are held within their spots and have never moved out of them, but I know if we were to get into an accident the mowers would not stay put, I saw a small chain binder in Agri-supply catalog that is smaller than regular chain binders and are made for equipment under 2000lbs. but with any device like this, the equipment has to be put back in the same exact spot every time, and this sounds easy, but is hard to achieve every time and you end up wasting more time trying to get the mower in the right spot, plus we put different mowers towards the rear of the trailer sometimes,so a dedicated spot would not work. I am designing a sort of "arm" that is mounted to the trailer side rail or lower frame with one of these small chain binders mounted to one end and a length of chain on the other to attach to whatever mower is there, and it will be somewhat flexible but strong enough to hold the mowers down. Anyone ever fabricate something like this? I will post some pics when I get them finished. Thanks

KrayzKajun
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
i use d-rings on the floor and ratchet straps!!!

txgrassguy
03-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I use a similar type of light equipment binder in all of my trailers.
Weld a length of chain to one side of the trailer and an eye hook to the other side.
Then it doesn't matter what piece of equipment you secure as the length of chain should be suitable for essentially anything you'd like to secure.
To keep the binder from springing open I use the black marine grade rubber/elastic bands and bolt one end into the eye on the binder arm. Then the hook on the end of the elastic band simply goes into one of the links of exposed chain.
Total set-up cost was less than $50 per trailer.

MikeKle
03-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Where did you get your small binders from? The ones I am looking at are in Agri-Supply catalog for $4.99 each. I wonder if they are available anywhere locally like tractor supply or Grainger,or even Harbor freight? I just hate to pay shipping on these because they are heavy. I like your idea because it does not matter what or where you are securing.

johnnybravo8802
03-17-2009, 09:34 PM
I use E track and rachet straps. With E track, the spacing is about 1" apart and you can put your clip anywhere down the trailer-it's cheap to. :clapping:

ALC-GregH
03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I'll say it again in another thread, Fastraps. Get them and you won't know what to do without them. :)
http://www.fastrap.us/

ALC-GregH
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
PS, they are MADE IN THE USA. :clapping: :usflag::usflag:

jlawnman
03-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I use fastraps... works well! well worth the $$$

green tree lawn care
03-17-2009, 09:54 PM
You cant beat the price 22.95 EA you pay that for the cheap straps at Lowes

4.3mudder
03-17-2009, 09:56 PM
2x4's on the floor and wood screws. I don't strap my stuff. Ya ya I know I'm supposed to though. Neither does anyone else around here strap stuff, unless a tractor, but lawn equipment, no.