PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet walk behind upgrades

TomberLawn
03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
I have looked at the 36" mowers on the market that have dealers nearby and decided I'd better just keep my 33" Cub Cadet a little while longer. It's a decent mower, but I have a few plans to make it better and need some help from you mower mechanics out there.

The first upgrade I want to do is convert it from electric start to recoil start. I know, that may not sound like an upgrade, but the battery goes dead a lot and the engine isn't all that big, so I could crank it myself. Craftsman markets an identical mower, but it has a pull start. Anybody know where I can get the part number for a recoil starter unit for the 344cc Briggs and Stratton engine? I've looked at some places online.

Another engine upgrade I want to do is increase the horsepower. It's rated for 10.5hp and the same series of engine goes up to 13.5hp. What's the difference? How can I get 3 more horsepower out of mine?

The last upgrade I want to do is twofold. I want to replace the double pulley on the engine with a larger double pulley so the blade speed and drive speed will increase slightly. It goes 4.12mph according to the specs. I'd like to get it to go 5-5.5mph. 4 is ok for mowing, but I'd like a little extra speed for transporting from the truck across parking lots or down the street to a neighbor's house.