PDA

View Full Version : Sound coming from Walker deck???

Firefighter337
03-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Recently when I am mowing, there is a strange sound coming from the deck. Kind of a grinding sound or as something is vibrating. It does not happen often, but it happens on and off while cutting.

It is only when the blades are spinning.

My ideas: 1) Shear pins are loose? (does this happen), 2) Blades are unbalanced.

It does not sound like a gear box issue, it sounds like the blades are chattering, but not hitting one another.

Fluids are fine, everything gets greased either on Saturday's or Sunday's of every week. Mower has ~70 hours on it.

I am going to put on a new set of blades, cups and shear bolts in the morning before I cut, to see if that solves the problem.

2stroke
03-17-2009, 06:57 PM
yes... MY SHEER pins come loose a;ll the time.

topsites
03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
First thing I would do is check for grass clumping up under there, clean it all out
then let it run over thin air for a bit of time and see if it's still doing it.

And it probably will, but it's worth doing before tearing into it, plus it eliminates other causes coming from the machine being in motion.
Because if it doesn't do it when the machine is standing still, then it likely lies in the wheels.

Now while you're looking also check for any kind of obstructions, anything out of place...
Some thing like a coat hanger wire that got itself wrapped around a blade, for example.

Beyond that worn spindle bearings will do it, as will a loose blade bolt, then check the spindles themselves that they are
all still firmly attached to the deck (a missing bolt might do it, two almost certainly, other times a spindle housing will crack).

It's more than likely something along those lines, perhaps a belt that is fraying apart...
And I have no clue what is a shear pin :p

Firefighter337
03-17-2009, 07:07 PM
i will check it out tomorrow morning. I am at the fire house.

tyler_mott85
03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
Make sure your deck isn't bent inwards.

I've had walkers that the deck would get bent while transporting them or something and the blades would hit the deck at just the right RPM.

good luck.

edward hedrick
03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Check the Blade cups, I hit a piece of rope, took the flats out of the cup. Check the main drive pin, Check blower

for sticks. How about shaft universal joints? ED

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 08:05 PM
That noise is your wallet about to explode in anticipation of having to buy walker parts..:laugh:

Drew Gemma
03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
u have a loose blade! Check you blade is the trash guard properly secure to the blade. Second is the cut out in the guard lined up to fit tight against the gear box.

ctvalley
03-17-2009, 10:28 PM
your bell bolts/pins are lost. You need to put on two new ones and that's it. happens every so often to me.

Firefighter337
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Update: I should of done this in different steps to pinpoint the problem. But here goes.

1) Put new blades on with existing ups and the same shear bolts, made sure they were tightened.
2) Greased the entire machine.

And Wah-lah. Problem solved....So far so good.

I am thinking it could of been the universal joint on the shaft. I honestly think I have been forgetting greasing that joint for the past 3-4 times. I printed off a new grease/lube sheet off of Walkers website and stuck it in a page protector and stuck it in my service log book for quick access.