PDA

View Full Version : Towing with a stander

Lawn Enforcer
03-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey everyone,
I have been contacted by the baseball coach at my high school about rolling the infields of the baseball fields. I did it last year, but I still had my Dixon 4515B and I have since sold it. I have 2 Everride Scorpion standers, a 2008 Scorpion FX with a 19 hp Kawasaki (small frame machine, 34") and a 2007 Scorpion with a 23 Kohler Command. I've heard that towing with these machines can really damage the hydros, is this true? It's not like I'm going to be pulling it around all the time, just at the baseball infields and the coach's house (small yard) Would it be ok for me to tow with these, and would one be better to tow with than the other?
Thanks in advance for your input!

mowerbrad
03-17-2009, 06:50 PM
If I had to tow with one, I would tow with the one that has the bigger engine.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
I have towed an aerator and a Cyclone Rake with a Wright Stander.....for years....no problems, no damage

Lawn Enforcer
03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Ok, thanks for the info. This is a roller that will weigh around 200 pounds

huskres
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I have towed an aerator and a Cyclone Rake with a Wright Stander.....for years....no problems, no damage

Have any pics of the aerator set up?

4 seasons lawn&land
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
tie it to your belt and do some sled training!

lifetree
03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
If I had to tow with one, I would tow with the one that has the bigger engine.

It seems to me that they use the same hydro pumps and wheel motors on a stander as the do ona ZTR ... therefore, it shuldn't make any difference !!

TPS
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Lawn Enforcer how do you like your 34" scorpion? I was considering one, great price.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Sorry no Pics I just welded up a hitch that tied into the rear anti-tip wheel mounts and hitched it up....

STIHL GUY
03-17-2009, 10:27 PM
tie it to your belt and do some sled training!

:laugh::laugh:have fun with that

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 02:20 AM
My cousin is in lawn care in another county. He has a Great Dane surfer that he has rigged up one of those pull behind Agri-fab bagger boxes with the relay engine. He wears a Stihl back pack blower and has a blast during leaf cleanups.. No problems with hydros or damage. Between the gator blades and the relay fan, the leaves are pulverized to powder. He got the box so heavy that the axles bent on the trailer..

Lawn Enforcer
03-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Lawn Enforcer how do you like your 34" scorpion? I was considering one, great price.

It's a great machine. The coupling of a 19hp Kawasaki and a 34" deck is amazing!

I'm not feeling ambitious enough to pull a 200lb roller around for an hour:laugh:

So I'm hearing it should do no damage, that's good to hear!

2brothersyardcare
03-18-2009, 06:36 PM
do it if its under warranty the just say i dont know what happened

Lawn Enforcer
03-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info so far, any more suggestions?

jlawnman
03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey everyone,
I have been contacted by the baseball coach at my high school about rolling the infields of the baseball fields. I did it last year, but I still had my Dixon 4515B and I have since sold it. I have 2 Everride Scorpion standers, a 2008 Scorpion FX with a 19 hp Kawasaki (small frame machine, 34") and a 2007 Scorpion with a 23 Kohler Command. I've heard that towing with these machines can really damage the hydros, is this true? It's not like I'm going to be pulling it around all the time, just at the baseball infields and the coach's house (small yard) Would it be ok for me to tow with these, and would one be better to tow with than the other?
Thanks in advance for your input!

Anytime you put a strain on a hydraulic system, it causes heat. Me personally, I would check with the dealer and/or owners manual and find out if it would do any damage. We all know what new pumps and motors cost. I would make sure I'm getting paid enough on the job to cover future repairs. If anything, set aside enough money from this job in particular (in a savings account or in an envelope in the fridge) to cover these repairs if and when they do arise.

Just my two cents. It's your equipment.

Lawn Enforcer
03-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Anytime you put a strain on a hydraulic system, it causes heat. Me personally, I would check with the dealer and/or owners manual and find out if it would do any damage. We all know what new pumps and motors cost. I would make sure I'm getting paid enough on the job to cover future repairs. If anything, set aside enough money from this job in particular (in a savings account or in an envelope in the fridge) to cover these repairs if and when they do arise.

Just my two cents. It's your equipment.

I'm only going to be making $100 from this, so it's not like I can set aside money from it.

corey4671
09-05-2009, 11:38 AM
I know this is an old post, but I have the same 34" Scorpion and have been thinking about using it for pulling my aerator. I have some gated backyards that my Warrior won't fit through the gate. WOnder if you ever rigged up a hitch for your Scorpion and if so could you get a pic so I can see how you did it.

ALC-GregH
09-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I'm only going to be making $100 from this, so it's not like I can set aside money from it.

Just do it and be done. If you drive the stander up a hill, it's about the same as pulling a load. Not much difference unless you HAVE to pull the roller up hills which obviously it's nice and flat being a ball field. Get er done. :)

Craig3
09-13-2009, 04:39 PM

borrow a 4wheeler/3 wheeler?

clean_cut
09-13-2009, 06:36 PM
What would be the difference in it towing a person that weights 200 pounds?