PDA

View Full Version : Ever get tired?

Ground Control Lawn Care
03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Do you guys that only have walk-behinds ever get tired of walking/ or standing on those things all day?

I thought I would start out with one instead of a zero-turn?
What is yalls opinions?

greenstar lawn
03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
only on larger lawns do i get bored riding on my sulky. My knees are def feeling it over the years

sandman23
03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Start out with a wb with sulky. More economical, more manuverable, and cheaper. Buy a Z when you can justify one.

MileHigh
03-17-2009, 07:10 PM
I thought I would start out with one instead of a zero-turn?

walk behinds zero turn man.

what you meant is walk behinds or a ZTR...zero turn rider.

It all depends on what your mowing...but anyways the Wright manufacturing company are making standers that outperform ztr's now so make your own choice.

punt66
03-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Buy a z. Buy a ferris. Your body will thank you. There are plenty of used deals out there. I can mow all day and not even be tired or beat up with my ferris. It makes taking on more business a joy and you dont have to "upgrade" later. One purchase.

topsites
03-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Zero turn riders are not as comfortable as they might look.
Take your pick, let your ankles and knees take the bumps, or send the shocks up through your spine.
Takes practice, either way.

punt66
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Zero turn riders are not as comfortable as it might look.

Take your pick, let your ankles and knees take the bumps, or send the shocks up through your spine.
UUMMM i respectfully disagree. No hand strain, back strain, leg strain. Especially if you use a ferris or a suspension seat.

Junior M
03-17-2009, 07:17 PM
Zero turn riders are not as comfortable as they might look.
Takes practice, either way.
Your back gets a beating either way.. :hammerhead: Or are your legs and back not connected anymore? ;)

Damian
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Do you guys that only have walk-behinds ever get tired of walking/ or standing on those things all day?

Do you mean do I ever get so tired working that I punch myself in the back to help break up the communication link between my back and brain? Yes.

touhey33
03-17-2009, 08:55 PM
I had a ztr, but got tired of sitting all day, so I switched to a walk behind. I don't mind standing or walking althought I am mostly on the sulky.

landscaper22
03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
I will say this...My Walk behind sits in the shed 95% of the time. ZTRs are so much faster and easier on my body.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-17-2009, 08:57 PM
walk behinds zero turn man.

what you meant is walk behinds or a ZTR...zero turn rider.

I always thought it meant Zero Turn Radius.

Fox Lawn & Garden
03-17-2009, 11:21 PM
A dual hydro walk behind is also a zero turn radius machine.

BlackDog3
03-17-2009, 11:32 PM
When i worked for another landscaper i consistently ran a 60 Ferris Hydro all day 8 + hours. It beats you up pretty good. My knees are bad and i am only 25! It depends on your properties you cut on what you should get. If you mowing 2/3rds or an acre or more i would say Zero turn. Also fences are a pain in the ass, so sometimes you may need a 48 for those tight spots. I own a 60 Exmark Lazer, i don't get beat up too bad but most of my properties are old and have flat ground with wide gates!

Chris

Lawnut101
03-17-2009, 11:33 PM
I like a good balance of both. Walking is good, but gets tiring after a while, and riding is fine but I feel lazy. You will get tired if you walk behind your mower all day.

ruffs
03-17-2009, 11:38 PM
walking wont kill you and you wont need a trailer some places you just can get a trailer into.

polerpoker
03-17-2009, 11:39 PM
The rider is brutal too, especially hauling ass on rough turf for 6 hours or so, but i have learned that in addition to a suspension seat... lower your tire pressure it makes a huge difference, I would know instantly if one of my guys filled my tires up it felt like my mower would bounce over a pebble.

Big C
03-17-2009, 11:58 PM
I started out last season with a WB only...then mid season upgraded to a ZTR as my main mower and doubled my production...never looked back.

Big Bad Bob
03-18-2009, 12:16 AM
The rider is brutal too, especially hauling ass on rough turf for 6 hours or so, but i have learned that in addition to a suspension seat... lower your tire pressure it makes a huge difference, I would know instantly if one of my guys filled my tires up it felt like my mower would bounce over a pebble.

Ummmm, you need to keep all of your tires up to rated pressure. If the rated pressure is 10lbs, then keep them at 10lbs. It will really affect the quality of your cut and will save your tires. If you don't have a gauge and are just filling them by sight, your dealer may be able to help you by selling you a proper tire gauge. I check all the pressures everytime I go out. I also use green slime in the tires to prevent leaks.

Green Machine Mowing
03-18-2009, 12:21 AM
getting swamp ass(hot summer day, sitting on a not breatheable seat, im sure you guys know what i mean) is never an issue with walkbehinds

Chilehead
03-18-2009, 12:27 AM
I use a walk-behind only. I have too many tight spaces on my clients' properties. Also, it's great for your general health.

polerpoker
03-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Ummmm, you need to keep all of your tires up to rated pressure. If the rated pressure is 10lbs, then keep them at 10lbs. It will really affect the quality of your cut and will save your tires. If you don't have a gauge and are just filling them by sight, your dealer may be able to help you by selling you a proper tire gauge. I check all the pressures everytime I go out. I also use green slime in the tires to prevent leaks.

This ain't my first rodeo big bob, thanks for the advice though...

topsites
03-18-2009, 05:56 PM
The rider is brutal too, especially hauling ass on rough turf for 6 hours or so.

Thank you!

kaferhaus
03-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Walk behinds and "standers" have their place. But we have no place for a large walk behind... the small ZTRs can most anywhere the large WBs can and the few spots they can't the 21" can.

I had one for a very short time many many years ago.... in this 956 degree 95% humidity heat after about 11am my goose was cooked. I dumped it and got a rider (no ZTR's back then). Most of the LCOs that have them here have the youngest guy in the crew running them and you rarely see them cutting in the summer past 10-11AM.

If that's all they made, I'd have to find a new line of work.

MortonLawn
03-18-2009, 09:19 PM
getting swamp ass(hot summer day, sitting on a not breatheable seat, im sure you guys know what i mean) is never an issue with walkbehinds

those damn leather seats will do it to ya lol! I cracked up when I first read your post :laugh:

Pietro
03-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Man I remember doing some HUGE ass properties with my 36 inch metro on the sulky. Hitting bumps and i SWEAR I had carpal tunnel from those damn grips. We have a 2 wheeled velky, and the machine is belt driven, so reverse means getting off and pulling the machine to assist it in backing up. If you got a hydro machine with the tru trac type of sulky (the one with the wheels on casters)...then you can backup without getting off the machine, but they dont mow as fast as the Z riders. Sure, your back will take a beating on the Z rider, but youre getting more done, AND YOU HAVE A CUPHOLDER!

I still have that damn metro.....and it only gets used if the 48 Z master or 60 Z master cant get thru the gate. Just remember, you ALWAYS need a 36. ALWAYS. Thats what we started with, so hey, learn the ropes. Get a 36 inch walk behind. Save some $. Complain on how the 36 sucks, go buy a rider. Then mow and mow and mow. Before you know it, youll complain about that one too. You cant win brother.

Grits
03-18-2009, 10:12 PM
I started with a 48" WB with Jungle Wheels. At the time, I thought that is all you needed....just as good as a Z. Well, last year I bought a Hustler and I am not nearly as tired at the end of the day as I was with the WB / sulky. Better production too. Wish I would have started out with a Z.....but if I did that, I would be spoiled.
Pay your dues with a WB.

STIHL GUY
03-18-2009, 11:05 PM
For starting out, a walk behind is a good choice unless you can afford a ZTR. I had a sulky and ended up selling it because the ride was way too rough and i prefer to walk