PDA

View Full Version : Venting on the Drought

TuffWork
03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I live in West Texas, and the drought is in full swing here. We have gotten little to no moisture in months. I should be mowing right now, but I'm obviously not. The city went on the news today to encourage people to conserve water. If no one is watering and it's not raining, I'm not making any money. Lawns that were already green this time last year are still yellow and sad looking. I'm wondering if I'm in the wrong business.

If anyone else needs to vent a little. Here's a thread to do it in.

Carolina Cuts
03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Ok.... my back hurts a little. Oh, and I'm hungry.

Carolina Cuts
03-17-2009, 07:24 PM
honestly, my area has been pretty dry as well.... I think we got our first heavy rain in months, just yesterday. The grass is sloooowly starting to green up.

MileHigh
03-17-2009, 07:29 PM
I feel your pain.

Drought here across the front range metro denver area as well...actually the entire eastern half of colorado..the same drought area that is screwing you down in Amarillo is screwing me as well. We have had the driest winter so far since 1887.

I could use a FLOOD....or 3 blizzards in a week.

Desperate need of moisture over here.

Busa_bill
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Feast or famine. Houston just had 4 days of rain. I skipped mowing yesterday just to let the water run off.

Hope you get the wet stuff soon.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-17-2009, 10:06 PM
It rained here for 4 DAYS straight, and it will supposedly rain again this weekend. The temps are around 80 too.

Sorry to hear bout the drought.

TuffWork
03-17-2009, 10:23 PM
At least my being green with envy is appropriate seein as it's st. patty's day and all, but seriously, I'm really starting to become worried about my financial situation. I've been keeping the bills paid with odd jobs. (finishing painting a house tomorrow, fixing a fence and picking up leaves on thursday, etc.), but unless I start mowing again I'm gonna be in the financial crapper before I know what hit me.

I only have two lawns I'm actually mowing on a schedule. They are my two wealthiest clients and only want them done because their neighbors have it done. Everyone else is just waiting until they absolutely have to get it done. Which if we don't get some rain will be a while. Many people are turning down my fertilizer and overseeding offerings as well this year. Apparently I bought way too much fert. I know this sounds dumb, but it won't go bad or anything will it. I've never had any left over before. I'm pretty good at nailing down how much I need, but I bought in bulk this year. I can use it next year in the spring, right?

I guess I'll be putting out fliers tomorrow after I'm done painting. Gotta drum up some more business.

sweetz
03-17-2009, 11:07 PM
It's so dry here that restaurants can't serve you water here without you asking for water first.

Frue
03-18-2009, 12:17 AM
At least my being green with envy is appropriate seein as it's st. patty's day and all, but seriously, I'm really starting to become worried about my financial situation. I've been keeping the bills paid with odd jobs. (finishing painting a house tomorrow, fixing a fence and picking up leaves on thursday, etc.), but unless I start mowing again I'm gonna be in the financial crapper before I know what hit me.

I only have two lawns I'm actually mowing on a schedule. They are my two wealthiest clients and only want them done because their neighbors have it done. Everyone else is just waiting until they absolutely have to get it done. Which if we don't get some rain will be a while. Many people are turning down my fertilizer and overseeding offerings as well this year. Apparently I bought way too much fert. I know this sounds dumb, but it won't go bad or anything will it. I've never had any left over before. I'm pretty good at nailing down how much I need, but I bought in bulk this year. I can use it next year in the spring, right?

I guess I'll be putting out fliers tomorrow after I'm done painting. Gotta drum up some more business.

We went through one two years ago. You have to hit the doors and the phones. Line up prunings and other jobs. I pray you get rain soon. I know how it feels to be waiting for rain and you are losing income. It was a dry year last year also but it rained enough to keep it going.

Fert will be good as long as you did not let it get wet. hang in there and pray for the rain.

Chilehead
03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
We've been receiving rain at the rate of about .5"--.75" per week since January. Just last weekend we got 2". Had not seen rain like that since 2006. Our drought may be starting to turn around. In 2007, many went out of business. Stick it out, and you'll be able to grab some of the market share from those who go under.

Green Machine Mowing
03-18-2009, 12:43 AM
just do it like the in one episode of king of the hill. steal your cleints neighbors hoses and wet down your clients grass:laugh:

sunray
03-18-2009, 12:58 AM

I feel for you tuffwork, we lived in sunray for some years and there were times I thought we would never see rain again and that was a normal weather pattern.
Keep your fertilizer sealed up to keep moisture away from it if you ever get any moisture.