PDA

View Full Version : NC Irrigation Licensing Info

Tony Clifton
03-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Here is the site, active as of yesterday as I understand.
http://nciclb.org/

Pretty in depth application process,
I know Texas has a pretty hardcore licensing requirement, how about other states? If you looked at the applications, how do they compare to your states?

Mike Leary
03-17-2009, 08:36 PM
[QUOTE=Tony Clifton; If you looked at the applications, how do they compare to your states?[/QUOTE]

In Washington State, we need a license, but no test: Shovel and truck. Oddly enough, our backflow regs are some of the most stringent in the country, and enforced. :clapping:

Tony Clifton
03-17-2009, 08:42 PM
In Washington State, we need a license, but no test: Shovel and truck. Oddly enough, our backflow regs are some of the most stringent in the country, and enforced. :clapping:

Is there any application process to go through before being issued a license, or do you just buy a license?
Our backflow regs seem fairly stringent as well - can't install a backflow unless you are a licensed plumber, can't become a licensed plumber without x# of years of experience working for a plumber.
Oh, but we can get the certification required to test the backflows for the annual testing that is required.

Stuttering Stan
03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
I was looking over the application and the Grandfathered section caught my eye. The requirements to be grandfathered seem rather broad- 10 years of experience with references. Does anyone else think the grandfather rules are too lenient? Any trunk slammer can pencil whip their way through this and technically qualify.

Tony Clifton
03-17-2009, 11:12 PM
I was looking over the application and the Grandfathered section caught my eye. The requirements to be grandfathered seem rather broad- 10 years of experience with references. Does anyone else think the grandfather rules are too lenient? Any trunk slammer can pencil whip their way through this and technically qualify.

I agree, the grandfather clauses are really frustrating with the exception of the CIC and CLID. The 10 yr deal is pure BS, however, I am pretty confident that if you haven't legitimately been in business 10 yrs it will be tricky to be grandfathered, I know someone that has been in biz 9 yr and plenty of other experience and it didnt fly with the board.

Waterit
03-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Does anyone else think the grandfather rules are too lenient? Any trunk slammer can pencil whip their way through this and technically qualify.

I think people may get tripped up if they actually check references.

Also think that unless it's clear-cut, everyone should have to take a minimal test to prove they know what say they do. Wish they'd do that here.

Stuttering Stan
03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Dear Abby,
Does a 10 year business license history qualify. For example, I have had 12 years in the lawn maintenance biz which included minor irrigation work for 10. Are they going to call references and ask if you did irriagtion work 10 years ago? I can't remember what I did last week, let alone jobs I did 10 years ago.
Thanks,
Utterly confused in VA

fire&rain
04-04-2009, 11:10 PM
My advice to anyone who thinks they qualify under the grandfathering provisions of the law.......Apply and provide as much information as you can. I can assure you the most difficult and scrutinized grandfathering is going to be the 10 year. As far as the plumbers and landscape contractors go, that is all about having a good PAC.

Apply early, dont wait to get all of your information/references/etc to send in the application. The board will tell what they are waiting for if you call them. The earlier you get your application in, the more time to react if more information is needed (or if not accepted, the more time to get the test in).

The state test is scheduled for May 22, 2009 in Raleigh (12-4 pm). I believe the CIA is giving/sponsoring the CIC class on May 20-21.

Stan, get the application in, get your customer references/confidential references/etc in (seperately) and see what else the board tells you they need, if anything.

Good Luck.

fire&rain
04-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Just an FYI, the board has a very good management company. They can answer the vast majority of your questions quickly. If you have a question, call them.

If you still need information, feel free to contact me (I am very familiar with the process).

Charlie Nieman
252-202-4532
charlie@fireandrainirrigation.com

BrandonV
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
since you seem to know more about this than most what should we expect in way of continuing ed... between my two pesticide licenses, ICPI stuff and life in general I'm getting tired of meeting w/ the extension service

fire&rain
04-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Brandon, I would watch the website for updates on CEU's. The law states 10 per calendar year. What the final breakdown is going to be for those 10 is still up in the air. I would think that information would be available in the near future. Since the law goes into full effect (end of the grandfathering period) 6/29/09, I would think that the CEU's for '09 would only be 5. Again, watch for the updates on the website.

fire&rain
04-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Here is a recent release from the NC Irrigation Contractors Licensing Board. This was sent to a wide variety of people including, those listed in the text, news papers, television stations and elected officials (as well as numerous others).

Hope it helps,,,,Charlie

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________

North Carolina Irrigation Contractors’ Licensing Board

P.O. Box 41421, Raleigh, NC 27629-1421
919-872-2229 Fax 919-872-1598
www.nciclb.org
administrator@nciclb.org - email

April 8, 2009

Landscape Irrigation Contracting is now regulated in the State of North Carolina under Chapter 89G of the NC General Statues. The purpose of this licensure act is to protect the public health, safety and welfare and to promote the efficient use of water. The North Carolina of Irrigation Contractors' Licensing Board oversees the licensing of Landscape Irrigation Contractors in North Carolina.

According to the recently enacted licensure law, no person shall engage in the practice of irrigation construction or contracting, use the designation 'irrigation contractor,' or advertise using any title or description that implies licensure as an irrigation contractor unless the person is licensed as an irrigation contractor. All irrigation construction or contracting performed by an individual, partnership, association, corporation, firm, or other group shall be under the direct supervision of an individual licensed by the North Carolina Irrigation Contractors' Licensing Board.

The new licensure law comes into full effect on June 30 2009. After this date, persons installing landscape irrigation in North Carolina must be licensed to do so.

This notice is being sent to consultants, regulators, water purveyors, suppliers, trade associations, plan rooms, and contractors that may in some way be involved directly or indirectly with the practice of irrigation contracting. It will be unlawful after 30 June 2009 for unlicensed individuals and companies to install landscape irrigation in North Carolina unless those persons are exempt from this law. Exemptions exist for these individuals, please refer here to this website http://www.nciclb.org/laws.cfm (cut & paste if necessary).

Consultants are encouraged to note this requirement in contract documents. Regulators and purveyors are encouraged to require proof of licensure prior to the issuance of permits involving irrigation.

Please refer to Chapter 89G of the NC General Statues or contact the Board for additional details. The bill may be reviewed on the NCICLB’s website ( www.nciclb.org ).

BrandonV
05-29-2009, 04:49 PM
we'll I just got the email today, I'm official now. yeah for me.... now to just find some irrigation jobs :-( actually I still have to buy a bond, having +2million in insurance just isn't enough I have to have a 10k$ bond oh well, I'm glad NC is finally doing this I just wish it wasn't this year, we're all taking a hit and having to shell out $200-400 depending on if you needed testing or grandfathering in I'm sure will hurt alot of my fellow irrigators.

Tony Clifton
05-29-2009, 09:24 PM
The bond should only cost you about 100 bucks.

Wet_Boots
05-29-2009, 09:50 PM
I bought mine on eBay for seven dollars :)

Mike Leary
05-29-2009, 09:52 PM
The 2+ million in liability and 10K bond is normal for us

BrandonV
05-30-2009, 07:10 AM
I bought mine on eBay for seven dollars :)

funny you should mention that! that's where i got my licience:clapping: thanks for the info tony! are things looking up in your area?

Tony Clifton
05-30-2009, 08:39 AM
It's hard to say - there is a little bit of work out there but it is spring time. Houses are still not selling and there is very little building. Commercial new construction is there but I think alot of it is stuff that was in the works before the whole meltdown. There are a ton of new commercial projects that are being put out to bid but I have a feeling they will be put off for a while - maybe some of them will start.

AI Inc
05-30-2009, 08:52 AM
It's hard to say - there is a little bit of work out there but it is spring time. Houses are still not selling and there is very little building. Commercial new construction is there but I think alot of it is stuff that was in the works before the whole meltdown. There are a ton of new commercial projects that are being put out to bid but I have a feeling they will be put off for a while - maybe some of them will start.

Seen that scenario before. People bid low because they don't have much work. By the time the job is ready , things are busy and contractors end up working for short $ when they could be elsewhere scoring.