PDA

View Full Version : So whats your take on this?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
The local nursery that myself, and just about every LCO in town has bought our plants from over the past 30 years has started branching out. First it was Hardscaping. No biggie, only one other company here does it, and the Nursery did poor work anyways. But now they have decided to get into lawn care. I understand completely times in most areas are tough, but to try and cut the throat of all us smaller companies who made them what they are today seems pretty messed up to me. This company is just going to hile cheap mexican labor (yes they will be legal) and charge cheap rates, they're advertising $100 per month for weekly service, $115 they'll trim the bushes weekly too, and $135 they'll do fert/chem apps too. Looks like I'm gonna be paying more for my plants and going else where.

LwnmwrMan22
03-17-2009, 09:07 PM
The local nursery that myself, and just about every LCO in town has bought our plants from over the past 30 years has started branching out. First it was Hardscaping. No biggie, only one other company here does it, and the Nursery did poor work anyways. But now they have decided to get into lawn care. I understand completely times in most areas are tough, but to try and cut the throat of all us smaller companies who made them what they are today seems pretty messed up to me. This company is just going to hile cheap mexican labor (yes they will be legal) and charge cheap rates, they're advertising $100 per month for weekly service, $115 they'll trim the bushes weekly too, and $135 they'll do fert/chem apps too. Looks like I'm gonna be paying more for my plants and going else where.

It's that way here too.

On craigslist the other day there was a Toro dealer looking for someone to sub some mowing accounts to them for a discount on equipment. Figure that one out.

kaferhaus
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
You're on the right track.... we have an equipment dealer here who bought out a lawn care business and moved it behind his shop. That was only a year ago and his "equipment" business has just about come to a compelte halt. NO LCO's are buying anything from him.

And worse, he lied about it for several months.... said he was just renting the warehouse out back to the guy that bought out the LCO.... when many of us KNEW he'd bought it as the former owner told us who he sold out too.

And his lawn business is now struggling.... gee too bad.

I won't buy anything from my competition period. How stupid would you have to be to continue funding them?

If you guys go to them and tell them the party's over if they continue to cut your throats they may have a change of heart. Otherwise find another vender and do everything you can to help these folks fall on their faces.

ALC-GregH
03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
You're on the right track.... we have an equipment dealer here who bought out a lawn care business and moved it behind his shop. That was only a year ago and his "equipment" business has just about come to a compelte halt. NO LCO's are buying anything from him.

And worse, he lied about it for several months.... said he was just renting the warehouse out back to the guy that bought out the LCO.... when many of us KNEW he'd bought it as the former owner told us who he sold out too.

And his lawn business is now struggling.... gee too bad.

I won't buy anything from my competition period. How stupid would you have to be to continue funding them?

If you guys go to them and tell them the party's over if they continue to cut your throats they may have a change of heart. Otherwise find another vender and do everything you can to help these folks fall on their faces.

Now that's something I totally agree with. :clapping: It happens from time to time. :laugh:

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I have started telling every LCO I meet. I already get my mulch else where and that place sells plants too. I told them that even though they are alot more money, I will only be dealing with them. To me its about principles.

RLS24
03-17-2009, 10:29 PM
you would think that soon enough they would figure it out they are going to lose a lot of customers. around here, there is like ONE nursery that pretty much every lco around here deals with, and they are strictly a nursery. there are a half dozen other independently owned nurseries around here that also get into landscaping in the private sector, and none of the lcos ever buy anything from them.

DaughtryLC
03-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I will gladly pay alittle more for supplies, before I eat CROW!!

DaughtryLC
03-17-2009, 11:32 PM
I have a good story on the same line:

This little "spanish" lady drove her truck all over Johnston County about 5yrs ago flagging down every LC Company to buy straw from her.
So we did for yrs! Then she starts selling to every joe in town!
Well the $ got good and the price keep going up!!!!
She sold me straw on Friday for xx and Sat the price went up for the same Damn straw that was there on Fri.
I said no thanks.
That was a couple yrs ago and well she dont sell straw no more:rolleyes:

4 seasons lawn&land
03-17-2009, 11:33 PM
most the nurserys and landscape supply places around here do lawn care to.

sweetz
03-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Same around here.

Lawnut101
03-17-2009, 11:55 PM

Same thing here.

pinto n mwr
03-17-2009, 11:58 PM
business is business....

sweetz
03-18-2009, 12:10 AM
business is business....

correct.......

weasel
03-18-2009, 12:15 AM
I would trade somewhere else...

FourTrees
03-18-2009, 02:05 AM
You have a choice to get your stuff were you want.

Let me ask you this if you owned a nursery, and were good at what you do. Why would you not expand.

This is a bit down the road, but I've thought about starting a small nursery. I like plants. I must be an idiot wanting to grow my business.

So I am just trying to clarify, you want every one of your competitors to fail. If the guy is still professional with you, and offers you good prices. Sure hurt you and him go pay the hire price. If he still takes care of you, what is the difference whether its him or someone else that is competing. If he truly sucks, again then he really won't be your true competitor. He will go back to what he is good at, you'll have burned a bridge.

Now if he sucks at his job and treats you lousy at his nursery sure ditch him should have ditched him long ago. But if you have a good relationship....................

jlawnman
03-18-2009, 02:14 AM
It's not here yet, but I'm sure it's coming.

Allens LawnCare
03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
People don't think about the old saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

Roger
03-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Typical practice in these parts. One of the supreme landscapers (design/install) is one who has a large nursery. He does excellent work, and is able to charge very high rates.