PDA

View Full Version : Trailer vs. Passenger Tires?

ajordan193
03-17-2009, 09:17 PM
What is the difference between trailer tires and passenger tires. My Enclosed Haulmark came with ST205/75D15 C rated and my open 16 ft trailer has P225/70R15. Both trailers have 3,500lb axles under them. My open trailer the tires are in great shape and going on their 3rd season. The enclosed only has a few hundred miles on it and the tires are wearing like crap. Can anyone explain why they put passenger tires on an open trailer?

corey4671
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
it's my understanding that trailer tires have stronger sidewalls. If you think about it, when you turn a trailer, you are sliding the tires so there's more stress on the sidewalls.

Gravel Rat
03-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Trailer tires are only designed for trailers. When your dealing with the 15 inch tires you can't get a regular automotive tire with a heavy enough sidewall. If you had 235/75R15 you can get 8 ply tires in automotive.

ajordan193
03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
So technically i should have trailer tires on my open trailer? I bought the trailer new 3 years ago with these tires.

Travis E
03-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Around here, most new open trailers have regular pasenger tires, probably because they can build the trailer cheaper then. I have passenger tires on my open trailer, and when your turn sharp, ie: turning out of driveways, you can just see the sidewalls really flex.

Magnum Services
03-17-2009, 10:21 PM
I buy used passenger tires for my enclosed trailer because the OEM tire, Goodyear Hi Miler trailer tires last one season or ten thousand miles and they are worn out! This is Outrageous for tires costing almost two hundred dollars each after mounting and balancing. I can't afford to do this EVERY year. Can you? I rotate the tires once a month when doing the truck tires and I get forty thousand miles from the truck. I buy used car tires mounted,balanced with NEW valve stems for twenty bucks each!

Gravel Rat
03-17-2009, 10:38 PM
If you are going to use automotive tires buy the best brand you can get and a tire that is a "rib tread". A good tire would be the LTX Michelin M/S .

You get a tire that has a aggressive tread it will have too much scrub and you will see the sidewalls flex.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-17-2009, 10:59 PM
enclosed trailer has bias ply tires and the other has radials.......radials will outlast bias 3-4 times longer.......car tires are ok if you are not grossing the weight out on the trailer.......if you are close to the 7000 pound total then you more than likely have overloaded and will blow out the tires

ajordan193
03-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys, guess now i have to figure out why the tires on my enclosed are wearing so bad. The trailer was used a year before i purchased it, original owner used it for storage and claimed he has less than 100 miles on it. I figure I have put about 100 miles on it this year and the trailer is not even loaded. How can the tires be torn up so bad in 200 miles?

Gravel Rat
03-17-2009, 11:13 PM
How is your hitch height if the trailer has a rake to it where the back axle is seeing more weight than the other they will wear funny.

whoopassonthebluegrass
03-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Trailer tires suck a$$. I went through 6 in my first 8k miles on my 7x14 tandem.

Put on some dirt cheap passenger tires and am at 8k on THEM and they still look brand new.

ajordan193
03-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Would the tires from my open trailer fit my enclosed? They have the same bolt pattern

ajordan193
03-17-2009, 11:45 PM
How is your hitch height if the trailer has a rake to it where the back axle is seeing more weight than the other they will wear funny.

The trailer sits level when loaded but has a rake to it when empty. I'm in the process of setting up the trailer still and really haven't used it yet.

GravelyNut
03-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Trailer will have about 12K miles on it when I get back home. Still on the original Load Stars that came with it. Does look like they need to get rebalanced as there is some cupping starting to show. Trailer runs with a slight rake to the rear but all tires are wearing the same.