PDA

View Full Version : Pavers. - alot of water off of roof??

meets1
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Looking at a paver job in the morning. There is a 4ft overhand on this house with cedar shaks. Alot of roof and alot of water coming towards this patio. No gutters - not an option - home owners hates them. Any precatuions I should look for or do as I bid this job in the morning?

Dreams To Designs
03-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Move the pavers away from the house and plant a wet site tolerant bed in that area. Hopefully in the areas by the doors, there are diverters so that the rain from the roof does not create a rain curtain by the doors. That amount of water falling on pavers will disrupt any sanded joints, even polymeric sands. Once the joint sand is gone, you have lost interlock and your bedding sand will be gone shortly as well.

You may need to consider drainage in the bed as well, to remove the water from the foundation. A planting between the home and patio will often soften the very hard edges of a hardscape project and if it's more than 1 story tall, also alleviates the feeling of the home looming over the hardscaped area.

Kirk

BrandonV
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
do some permeable pavers, catch the water and pipe it off.

AllHardscaping
03-18-2009, 02:56 PM
I would go with permeable as well if possible. They are so similar yet so different, it would be a fun one for you. Make sure you allow for the pricing of different materials, construction methods, etc... I am curious to know what you do with it, please share

Smallaxe
03-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Roof runoff should hit stone, not pavers.

Dreams To Designs
03-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Direct flow of rainwater off a roof would definitely wash out the stone infill on permeable pavers.

Falling onto a bed of stone, perhaps with channel drains underneath would eliminate any potential drainage problems. I would put that bed of stone in a landscape bed and make the functional area look good.

Kirk

meets1
03-19-2009, 10:46 PM
The people are not fond of the idea of permable paver or the landscape look around house. Idea is to set up some sort of drainage with slope off of pavers and completely drain the area out the retaining wall. I am looking at 1500 sq ft plus 150 liner ft of free standing wall, incorporate a larger than usual firepit area which will be raised and then trun and run into a gazibol that they had built. So were still planning in the planning stages but they are picking out paver style and block. Keep ya all posted.

White Gardens
03-20-2009, 02:12 AM
The people are not fond of the idea of permable paver or the landscape look around house. Idea is to set up some sort of drainage with slope off of pavers and completely drain the area out the retaining wall. I am looking at 1500 sq ft plus 150 liner ft of free standing wall, incorporate a larger than usual firepit area which will be raised and then trun and run into a gazibol that they had built. So were still planning in the planning stages but they are picking out paver style and block. Keep ya all posted.

Yikes, Don't give them a guarantee if they are supplying the block and paver. The cheaper they are, the less tinsel(sp?) strength they have.

Also, make sure you have good fire-rated brick if the fire pit is elevated at all.

BrandonV
03-20-2009, 07:33 AM
beautiful stamped concrete all around the house!